Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Trickery and predictability
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 1/19/07 5:14 p.m.

In Response To: I like Halo's exuberance. (scarab)

: You can trigger the door, hide behind the shield, and throw a plasma that can kill both Elites.

I forget where I heard that little trick, but yes it works pretty well I find. The trouble I have with it is the falsity. You can't actually see the Elites, yet you're throwing a grenade. You're using advance knowledge (that in reality you wouldn't have) in a critical way, and I sort of feel like I'm cheating. That might not worry a player who's just thinking "how do I outwit this videogame?", but that's not my frame of mind. I like treating things like they're real, and as much as possible I want to forget that I'm in a videogame. So tricks like which break the realism make me uncomfortable. That's not to say I never use them - and sometimes it can feel a bit contrived not to use them once you know about them - but it's harder to take pride in an eventual victory.

Another example is at the first survivor area of level 2 when new enemy ships start coming in. You know exactly where they're going to land and which side the Elites will be on. You can be there and ready to blast them pronto. Effective, but totally unrealistic and false. In real life you wouldn't know if a dropship was maybe going to have eight Elites in it; so it would be crazy to stand there waiting for the doors to open. In TB, it would likewise be crazy (in real life) to risk crouching behind that shield as the doors open, because you wouldn't have a clue what's on the other side. I wish enemy placements and types were less predictable. But let's face it, we use predictability a lot, right down to what weapon combo we pick up to take into the next area.

As for that TB bit, if I want to follow a more realistic plan, I do the same sort of thing Narcogen does. Open the door and back off fast. Grunts and Jackals advance, and can be picked off easily with any covie weapon combo; I'd go with a plasma pistol and needler here (Jackals get a plasma blast to remove the shield, then a stream of needles in the back as they run off, hee hee). Enemies further back are the hard part, especially those Elites. They seem to be rather good at dodging needles here, and using cover. I'll usually try some hefty streams of needles anyway, hoping to get lucky with at least one. But quite often it's going to take grenades or gradual weakening with plasma.

Actually, there's another way I sometimes do it. Open the door and hide behind it at the side. Lob a few grenades in the vicinity of the Jackals and Grunts (particularly the Jackals), and before they've even gone off, rush out and surprise the Elites at point-blank range with the shotgun. Then mop up. Get it right and it's all over in seconds; quite satisfying.

Bad Cyborg

Message Index

Replies:

Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 6:21 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Twitch 1/15/07 7:19 p.m.
           DOH! *NM*Jman 1/15/07 8:30 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Rockslider 1/15/07 7:57 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?3Suns 1/15/07 9:00 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Peptuck 1/16/07 2:02 p.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Rockslider 1/16/07 5:31 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 6:20 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?TelTura 1/15/07 8:33 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 9:28 p.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Narcogen 1/15/07 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 1:19 a.m.
                             Stealth in the third roomRockslider 1/16/07 5:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Stealth in the third roomscarab 1/16/07 5:26 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?GhaleonEB 1/16/07 2:44 a.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?3Suns 1/16/07 1:28 a.m.
                 Tough stealth challenge in the seventh roomRockslider 1/16/07 5:11 p.m.
           Delta Halo/Regret Level for me...Wooskies 1/16/07 12:38 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 1:00 a.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Owm 1/16/07 2:11 a.m.
           Weapon omissionsRockslider 1/17/07 12:46 p.m.
                 Re: Weapon omissionsUrsusArctos 1/17/07 10:03 p.m.
                       Re: Weapon omissionsRockslider 1/19/07 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: Weapon omissionsUrsusArctos 1/20/07 1:48 a.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Peptuck 1/16/07 2:09 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 3:48 p.m.
           End of TB strategiesNarcogen 1/16/07 11:16 p.m.
           I find TB annoying at the startRockslider 1/17/07 12:42 p.m.
                 Re: I find TB annoying at the startscarab 1/17/07 1:35 p.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startBlack Guard 1/17/07 6:52 p.m.
                 Re: I find TB annoying at the startNarcogen 1/18/07 4:59 a.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startangrymob 1/18/07 2:08 p.m.
                             Re: I find TB annoying at the startNarcogen 1/18/07 11:52 p.m.
                                   I like Halo's exuberance.scarab 1/19/07 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I like Halo's exuberance.Owm 1/19/07 4:55 p.m.
                                         Trickery and predictabilityRockslider 1/19/07 5:14 p.m.
                                   Re: I find TB annoying at the startBlack Guard 1/19/07 7:22 p.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startRockslider 1/18/07 4:00 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.