Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I find TB annoying at the start
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 1/18/07 4:00 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I find TB annoying at the start (Narcogen)

: I long for a game that, while challenging, is solveable the first time through by figuring out what is best, rather than learning it by dying.

Yes, I disdain the die-and-retry mentality, and I wouldn't knowingly buy a game that works that way. Happily it's quite minimal in Halo. I think that on Normal, a competent gamer who'd never played it would stand a fair chance of getting straight through without dying (except perhaps for the fickleness of survival in that final huge Warthog jump).

Actually that was something I tried with Halo 2 when I got it; I wanted to see if I could make it through clean on Normal, with no advance knowledge of what was around the next corner. But I got killed inside the giant steel bug after falling foul of a seemingly useless shotgun. I swear I was blasting away quite close, yet nothing seemed to be happening to the enemy. By the time I decided I'd be better off whacking them over the head with it, I was cyborg toast.

: I assume everybody finishes the Library with a pistol and shotgun

Actually I've usually got a needler with me on that last section. Wave after wave comes gurgling your way, and I'll enjoy needling plenty.

: If you alt-fired to take out the sentinels, you've got precious little left for handling the next group of Covies

With that in mind, I get the Sentinels one at a time with rapid bursts of normal fire, using the glass for cover. Doesn't take long, and it's so economical.

: I try to lure grunts closer so when they drop their weapons, they are close enough to run in and grab before the Elites mow me down.

I have much the same idea. I want one of those needlers from the Grunts! I'll usually wait by the door and let the covies wipe out the Sentinels, which they do in pretty short order on Legendary. The Grunts advance quite close and I'll zap one or more with normal plasma pistol fire. Maybe the Elite is far enough back that I can just run in to get a needler. If not, I try to land a grenade so it blows a needler my way.

Alternatively, you can wear down the Elite with bursts from the plasma pistol. He's good at dodging though, so I strafe as I fire, to cover an arc - part of which I hope will intercept him. As long as you keep hitting him before his shield gets a chance to recharge, he's yours. Slow process though.

Or there's the shotgun. You can get close enough to pepper him lightly, yet be almost out of his range. He'll probably open fire a few times, causing you to have to back off quick; but as long as you can keep hitting him with the occasional pellet, you can do the job. Alternatively you can get closer and use a side pillar for cover (yes, there is cover here). You have to crouch and it feels awkward and dangerous, but it can work. With either of these shotgun tactics though, you can easily lose health - and it uses up a whole heap of shells.

One other approach. As soon as the first door opens, try to help the Sentinels wipe out the first covies. Send in a grenade or two then strafe with rapid plasma fire. Often they get wiped out, causing the second Elite to emerge. With any luck he gets a bit of laser treatment too, and you've got a headstart on wearing him down once the sentinels are destroyed.

: What bothers me about the Cortana dialogue...

Actually (just to continue my rant) it gets almost comical later on. As if she hasn't already rambled on long enough, she starts up again when you emerge outside or thereabouts. Usually kicks in when I'm heading up that tower for a pistol. She's all chirpy about it too, as if having failed to notice that you're now down to one bar of health, sweating profusely, and mad as hell. "So, blah blah blah, machinery in these canyons, blah blah blah, pulse generator..." Yes Cortana, tell me more.

Bad Cyborg

Message Index

Replies:

Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 6:21 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Twitch 1/15/07 7:19 p.m.
           DOH! *NM*Jman 1/15/07 8:30 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Rockslider 1/15/07 7:57 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?3Suns 1/15/07 9:00 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Peptuck 1/16/07 2:02 p.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Rockslider 1/16/07 5:31 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 6:20 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?TelTura 1/15/07 8:33 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 9:28 p.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Narcogen 1/15/07 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 1:19 a.m.
                             Stealth in the third roomRockslider 1/16/07 5:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Stealth in the third roomscarab 1/16/07 5:26 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?GhaleonEB 1/16/07 2:44 a.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?3Suns 1/16/07 1:28 a.m.
                 Tough stealth challenge in the seventh roomRockslider 1/16/07 5:11 p.m.
           Delta Halo/Regret Level for me...Wooskies 1/16/07 12:38 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 1:00 a.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Owm 1/16/07 2:11 a.m.
           Weapon omissionsRockslider 1/17/07 12:46 p.m.
                 Re: Weapon omissionsUrsusArctos 1/17/07 10:03 p.m.
                       Re: Weapon omissionsRockslider 1/19/07 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: Weapon omissionsUrsusArctos 1/20/07 1:48 a.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Peptuck 1/16/07 2:09 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 3:48 p.m.
           End of TB strategiesNarcogen 1/16/07 11:16 p.m.
           I find TB annoying at the startRockslider 1/17/07 12:42 p.m.
                 Re: I find TB annoying at the startscarab 1/17/07 1:35 p.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startBlack Guard 1/17/07 6:52 p.m.
                 Re: I find TB annoying at the startNarcogen 1/18/07 4:59 a.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startangrymob 1/18/07 2:08 p.m.
                             Re: I find TB annoying at the startNarcogen 1/18/07 11:52 p.m.
                                   I like Halo's exuberance.scarab 1/19/07 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I like Halo's exuberance.Owm 1/19/07 4:55 p.m.
                                         Trickery and predictabilityRockslider 1/19/07 5:14 p.m.
                                   Re: I find TB annoying at the startBlack Guard 1/19/07 7:22 p.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startRockslider 1/18/07 4:00 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.