Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I find TB annoying at the start
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 1/17/07 12:42 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever? (Peptuck)

: First time I played AotCR, by the time I got to the stone bridge overlooking
: the Control Room I was thinking "God, is this level ever going to
: END?"

Yes, when I first played it, after an hour or so I was starting to wonder whether the developers had actually forgotten to end the level or something.

: but those inner corridor battles were painfully reptitive

I never really found the business of similar rooms an issue. I didn't think of it as laziness, because it's quite natural that the mysterious ring builders would have built fairly similar rooms for uniformity. Besides which, once you get experienced with the level, each of those rooms has its own unique character, as already voiced by GhaleonEB. Ok more variety of room shape would probably have made it even better from a player's point of view, but I'm happy enough with what we got.

As for going the other way on Two Betrayals...

: Also, that giant megabattle at the end frustrates me to no end.

I agree with scarab that strafing around in a Ghost is a fine way to deal with those nasty cloaked Elites. If I was doing that though, I'd stay inside the Ghost and entice them just by strafing around at nothing with the plasma cannon (sweeping left to right, facing the general direction of the enemy). Chances are that you'll hit them before they even open fire. Even if they do open fire, it's the Ghost that takes the damage, rather than your shield. That allows you to tackle the remaining enemies with full health.

Mind you, a completely different tactic for the whole battle is to just bomb in on a Ghost (maybe after a bit of rocketing and sniping) and fly off in a Banshee quick - which you can then use to paste all and sundry (or fly up to the bridge and have fun with a sniper rifle and rocket launcher). Maybe drive around the right side of the field to avoid as many covies as possible. Actually, instead of trying to fly off straight away (running the risk of getting blown to pieces by a Wraith shot before you take off), it can be safer to instead drive around the back of the large rocks beyond the Banshees. Wait for the covies to return their attention to the Flood, then nip into a Banshee. I seem to recall that you can jump over between the rocks (but it's a while since I've been doing that battle in depth).

For me, the most annoying thing about Two Betrayals is the start, rather than the end. There are multiple aspects to this.

For starters, you're suddenly out in the open and under fire from Sentinels before you've even had chance to get your bearings. Unfair! And it doesn't help that you've got an unguarded drop nearby, which many first-timers are likely to stumble straight off while frantically trying to evade those lasers. That happened to me to start with, and I remember being extremely annoyed with the game. It was like we were suddenly away from intelligent design and back to old-school dumbness. Even when you realize that the glass panels can provide cover, you're potentially still in for a nasty surprise. If you stand too close to them, lasers get through to you! I guess your armour is partly portruding through the glass, courtesy of a shortcoming in the game engine.

Worse still, you've got possibly the worst weapon combo you could possibly have for tackling the first covies safely, and it's an annoying discontinuity that you don't start with the combo you were just carrying in the previous level. Thought you were carrying a handy pistol? Hah! Think again! I've got my tactics for these two early encounters, but it's still quite hard to get through without losing health.

Even Cortana is annoying in this early part of the game. She yaks on forever, and I just want to say "Look missus, I'm in the middle of a firefight in case you haven't noticed! Save your rambling for later!" But unfortunately there's no button for that, and she goes on and on while I've got plasma and all sorts whizzing past my ears. Oh dear, this could be the beginnings of our first row...

Bad Cyborg

Message Index

Replies:

Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 6:21 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Twitch 1/15/07 7:19 p.m.
           DOH! *NM*Jman 1/15/07 8:30 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Rockslider 1/15/07 7:57 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?3Suns 1/15/07 9:00 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Peptuck 1/16/07 2:02 p.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Rockslider 1/16/07 5:31 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 6:20 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?TelTura 1/15/07 8:33 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Jman 1/15/07 9:28 p.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Narcogen 1/15/07 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 1:19 a.m.
                             Stealth in the third roomRockslider 1/16/07 5:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Stealth in the third roomscarab 1/16/07 5:26 p.m.
                       Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?GhaleonEB 1/16/07 2:44 a.m.
                 Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?3Suns 1/16/07 1:28 a.m.
                 Tough stealth challenge in the seventh roomRockslider 1/16/07 5:11 p.m.
           Delta Halo/Regret Level for me...Wooskies 1/16/07 12:38 p.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 1:00 a.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Owm 1/16/07 2:11 a.m.
           Weapon omissionsRockslider 1/17/07 12:46 p.m.
                 Re: Weapon omissionsUrsusArctos 1/17/07 10:03 p.m.
                       Re: Weapon omissionsRockslider 1/19/07 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: Weapon omissionsUrsusArctos 1/20/07 1:48 a.m.
     Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?Peptuck 1/16/07 2:09 p.m.
           Re: Attack on the Control Room- Best level ever?scarab 1/16/07 3:48 p.m.
           End of TB strategiesNarcogen 1/16/07 11:16 p.m.
           I find TB annoying at the startRockslider 1/17/07 12:42 p.m.
                 Re: I find TB annoying at the startscarab 1/17/07 1:35 p.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startBlack Guard 1/17/07 6:52 p.m.
                 Re: I find TB annoying at the startNarcogen 1/18/07 4:59 a.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startangrymob 1/18/07 2:08 p.m.
                             Re: I find TB annoying at the startNarcogen 1/18/07 11:52 p.m.
                                   I like Halo's exuberance.scarab 1/19/07 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I like Halo's exuberance.Owm 1/19/07 4:55 p.m.
                                         Trickery and predictabilityRockslider 1/19/07 5:14 p.m.
                                   Re: I find TB annoying at the startBlack Guard 1/19/07 7:22 p.m.
                       Re: I find TB annoying at the startRockslider 1/18/07 4:00 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.