Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Story and Gameplay Integration
Posted By: Jman <jman571@gmail.com>Date: 1/12/07 2:59 a.m.

In Response To: Story and Gameplay Integration (Narcogen)

: Marathon uses that mechanism, in part, to tell a story about heroism and
: fate. Perhaps Halo is building to that as well. You could also argue
: there's a meta-story there, a story about storytelling, in which the story
: of the Master Chief is the story of being a classical hero, a person who
: has to achieve great acts at the behest of others for reasons he doesn't
: quite understand himself, and who does not have the freedom to do it his
: own way, or to decide NOT to do it.

: We do see a bit of initiative from the Chief in a couple of cutscenes-- when
: he suggests using a grenade to blow the engine covers during The Maw, and
: when he suggests "giving the Covenant back their bomb". Of
: course, that's not within the context of gameplay.

I really think you're onto something there. Heh, since I'm the only one up on this side of the seaboard, I might as well discuss it with ya.

I really think that Marathon engrained a deeper storyline by simply immersing yourself in the mythos of the universe. Give the player more interesting information, though not at all relevant to the game's gameplay and interaction, provides interaction outside the realm of the TV and the 3D space you're playing in. In Marathon the inclusion of Durandal is extraneous to the immidiate goals faced by the player, in order to further the storyline however, the pretext is that you are going about killing the Phor and hitting switches and jumping over lava pits and such so you can survive and continue through the game to its end, the fact that you are helping a rampant AI escape from the universe is secondary.

Much like the goals in Halo are much secondary to the actual gameplay, and the ACTUAL storyline, is secondary to that. I think more integrated cutscenes like Gears of War (I'm assuming here, haven't played the campaign yet) will be able to bridge this gap better.

In my opinion the Chief is almost kinda like the Arbiter. Except for perhaps a number of years of birth where he has presumed freedom, his "adoption" into the Spartan program essentially realized his fate for the rest of his life. During the events of Halo, he takes orders from Cortana, much like his officer superiors before that, though he is very good at what he does, the events that surround his life are just out of his control.

While the Arbiter conflicts with the image of survival (the Chief is very good at this). He is destined to "die" and accordingly his role as Arbiter protrays this. He takes his orders from the Prophets but then disregards them and for the first time in his life, commands his own will...

I was attempting to draw some opposites between the Arbiter and the Chief, but it is very late over here, and I'm very tired.

--formerly jman571

Message Index

Replies:

Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OT3Suns 1/10/07 2:50 a.m.
     Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 3:41 a.m.
           Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 10:57 a.m.
                       Slight edit . .Jillybean 1/10/07 10:58 a.m.
                             Here's the interview link:FoolsRun 1/10/07 11:33 a.m.
                                   Thank you! *NM*Jillybean 1/10/07 12:42 p.m.
                       Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 12:48 p.m.
                             Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTThe More Deluded 1/10/07 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 5:32 p.m.
                             Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 12:57 p.m.
                                   The Halo Campaigns. My review.3Suns 1/11/07 1:31 p.m.
                                         Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.Louis Wu 1/11/07 2:03 p.m.
                                               Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.3Suns 1/11/07 5:40 p.m.
                                         Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/12/07 2:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationJman 1/12/07 2:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay Integrationreprobate 1/12/07 4:40 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integrationreprobate 1/12/07 4:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/12/07 5:45 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/13/07 10:26 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/15/07 12:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/15/07 8:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/15/07 10:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/16/07 1:19 a.m.
                                                                             Battle-based gamesRockslider 1/17/07 12:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationPeptuck 1/16/07 1:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationUrsusArctos 1/17/07 5:15 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationCody Miller 1/16/07 12:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/16/07 1:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/16/07 3:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationMa1agate 1/16/07 9:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/16/07 10:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationSep7imus [subnova] 1/16/07 11:00 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationPeptuck 1/16/07 1:45 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationHikaru-119 1/16/07 10:56 a.m.
                                                                       Non-Stop ActionNarcogen 1/16/07 11:02 p.m.
                                                                 Ken Levine on using quiet in games3Suns 1/23/07 2:26 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Ken Levine on using quiet in gamesRed_Breast 1/23/07 12:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationCody Miller 1/17/07 1:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/18/07 4:47 a.m.
                                         Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.Cody Miller 1/16/07 12:17 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.