Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Another Noobish question from me.
Posted By: scarabDate: 10/28/05 8:00 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Another Noobish question from me. (Peptuck)

: The easiest answer is that the humans were already inside the shield when it
: was lowered by the Arbiter.

Makes my effort as the artbiter pretty pointless. I did all that work and was the last person to arrive at the party.

: Hell,for all we know, the humans were the
: ones who accidentally released the Flood in the first place.

One accidental release is forgivable but we had one in Halo and two(?) more in Halo 2.

All these accidental releases are just lazy story telling. Actually its even lazier because they didn't even bother to explain or show how (or if) they got released. We just arrive at a location and there is a fight in progress. Its left to us to try to explain it.

The simplest explanation is that Bungie wanted us to fight Flood at that point in the game, so that's why there were Flood there.

Its probably not worth trying to make sense of it. Bungie didn't care so why should we?

Sorry if that sounds negative but its not as if Bungie are going to go back and clarify any of the issues based on our feedback. Not unless they spend the film trying to explain what wasn't clear in the games. I think that would be wasted effort.

I'd like to suggest Star Wars (A New Hope) as an example of good story telling. The story is simple but it is well told. It just introduces some characters, shows their motivations and moves them from A to B to C with a minimum of fuss or contrivance.

It sounds like an easy thing to do but many story tellers seem to find that inordinately difficult.

I don't think there are any parts of that story were I thought 'that didn't make sense' or 'why did that happen?'.

Luke was on Tatooine because that's were he lived. Obi-Wan was near Luke because he was keeping an eye on him. Leia went to Tatooine because she needed Obi-Wan's help. Darth chased her to Tatooine.

I don't want to discribe the entire film but there is a simple chain of events, each of which make sense with very little coincidence and nothing that needs effort to explain. Lucas has done all the explaining for us and Star Wars was not heavy on dialogue.

I could go on:

Obi-Wan and Luke meet Han because they need a ship and he has one (and needs pasangers). They go to Alderaan because they know that's were Leia's father is. The Death Star goes to Alderann because Tarkin wants to threaten Leia...

They are allowed to escape and are followed because the Falcon has been bugged. Leia knows this but thinks the data is worth the risk.

Everything just flows and is explained for us and we never feel we have to work to make Lucas' story work. And the film is an action film it is not bogged down with exposition. Its a really high energy, feel good film with an ending that's better than the warthog run at the end of The Maw!!!

That is why I think that A New Hope is a good example to telling a simple story well. It can be done.

Message Index

Replies:

Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/11/05 2:40 p.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilLagging N00b 10/11/05 2:47 p.m.
           Re: Making a Deal with the Devil7echariah [MS] 10/11/05 2:51 p.m.
                 Appeasement is the path to destructionSchedonnardus 10/11/05 3:02 p.m.
                       Re: Appeasement is the path to destruction7echariah [MS] 10/11/05 3:20 p.m.
                 Re: Making a Deal with the DevilUrsa.Fatty 10/14/05 11:51 p.m.
                       Re: Making a Deal with the Devilbentrider 10/14/05 11:59 p.m.
                             Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/17/05 2:23 p.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilAnother noobish question from me.. 10/11/05 3:20 p.m.
           Re: Making a Deal with the DevilPeptuck 10/11/05 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: Making a Deal with the DevilManKitten 10/11/05 4:14 p.m.
     Another Noobish question from me.ManKitten 10/11/05 3:23 p.m.
           Re: Another Noobish question from me.Jillybean 10/11/05 4:44 p.m.
           Re: Another Noobish question from me.Rox 10/11/05 4:46 p.m.
                 Re: Another Noobish question from me.Captain Thanas 10/11/05 4:51 p.m.
                       Re: Another Noobish question from me.Echoes 10/11/05 5:09 p.m.
                             Re: Another Noobish question from me.oBlade 10/27/05 8:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Another Noobish question from me.Peptuck 10/27/05 10:39 p.m.
                                         Re: Another Noobish question from me.scarab 10/28/05 8:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Another Noobish question from me.Peptuck 10/28/05 10:45 a.m.
                                                     Re: Another Noobish question from me.Rox 10/28/05 4:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: Another Noobish question from me.scarab 10/28/05 6:41 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Another Noobish question from me.Peptuck 10/28/05 10:56 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Another Noobish question from me.scarab 10/29/05 2:35 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Another Noobish question from me.bentrider 10/29/05 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilCaptain Thanas 10/11/05 4:47 p.m.
           Re: Making a Deal with the DevilGryphonOsiris 10/11/05 5:33 p.m.
                 Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/11/05 7:05 p.m.
                       Re: Making a Deal with the DevilCatachan 10/11/05 7:35 p.m.
                             Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/11/05 10:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Making a Deal with the DevilCatachan 10/11/05 11:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Making a Deal with the DevilMattat 10/12/05 6:48 a.m.
                                               Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/12/05 2:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilR.G Hill 10/26/05 6:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/27/05 1:44 p.m.
                             Re: Making a Deal with the DeviloBlade 10/27/05 8:54 p.m.
     Halo 3: The NegotiatorMarlfox 555 10/12/05 7:04 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3: The Negotiatormrbananas 10/12/05 2:16 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: The NegotiatorJustinian 10/25/05 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the Devilanduril 10/27/05 10:40 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.