Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here's
Posted By: GryphonOsiris <GryphonOsiris@aol.com>Date: 6/2/05 6:29 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here's (Ciarán)

: I think that it's highly likely that the section of the installation that we
: are on can be dropped from the section that you can see high above when
: you're outside. The Arbiter has to go to some lengths to sever the tether,
: but I would imagine that the process would be easier at the other end,
: high above. Maybe there's just a big red button to be pressed.

: There would need to be some method of preventing the Flood from climbing up
: the tether, but since it's a bottleneck, a couple of Sentinels could
: probably handle it. Plus, the winds in the atmosphere might make it hard
: for infection forms to climb up. Combat forms might have more luck, but
: they may not have been possible when the Forerunners were around - the
: Forerunners may not have been organic, or could have had Class 12 Combat
: Skins, or whatever, but maybe they couldn't be infected easily.

: Of course, maybe they just made the tether cable really slippy :)

I suspect that there is an artificial gravity dampening field arround the station to simulate Halo gravity in order to prevent personel from being blown off into the void. Once one leaves that safe area, gravity will start pulling and pulling hard, so something like a Banshee would never even hope to be able to escape. Me reasoning for this is that even when the station is going headlong downwards, you're Banshees isn't left in the dust, for that matter there in no change in gravity on board, such as the so called 'zero G' sensation caused by falling. So if any Flood form tried climbing that cable, they'd be pulled into the void, or ripped apart by the prevailing winds.

As for a release method, a Phantom-like craft would have a tricky time putting a round onto the exposed parts of the cable that we sliced, so either trying to blast away the armored sheath higher up would be the release mothod, or as you say there is a quick release on the supporting platform up top. There might even be a remote system on station to do just that and a manual switch on the primary winch mechanism, while the 'cutting method' that the Arbiter used was more of a method of last resort for the Forerunners.

BTW, all things considered, by cutting the station loose, he did what the Covies claim we do, willing destroy the legacy of the Forerunners. But for him to do it was to destroy a heretic, and it makes us heretics and infidels for doing it. A bit hypocritical you think?

Honor and Valor
Gryphon

Message Index

Replies:

HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryCiarán 6/2/05 3:36 p.m.
     My reason it wouldn't work:Mink'O'War 6/2/05 3:45 p.m.
           Not unworkable-- just unnecessaryNarcogen 6/3/05 4:14 a.m.
                 Re: Not unworkable-- just unnecessaryE.T. the Extremely Tired 6/4/05 12:26 p.m.
                       Still UnnecessaryNarcogen 6/6/05 7:06 a.m.
     Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryNom 6/2/05 3:54 p.m.
           Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryajenteks 6/2/05 4:05 p.m.
           Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here's why:Ciarán 6/2/05 4:09 p.m.
                 Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here's Endbringer 6/2/05 4:24 p.m.
                       Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'sCool_Cow 6/2/05 4:29 p.m.
                             Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'sEndbringer 6/2/05 4:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'sCiarán 6/2/05 4:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'sJamirus99 6/2/05 5:41 p.m.
                                         Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'sGryphonOsiris 6/2/05 6:29 p.m.
                                               Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'sMikeChance 6/2/05 10:53 p.m.
                 Re: Why research the Flood on Threshold? - here'salexware 6/2/05 6:27 p.m.
                       RE:alexware 6/2/05 6:28 p.m.
           Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryUsul 6/2/05 5:25 p.m.
                 Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryHikaru-119 6/2/05 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryJMann25 6/2/05 9:07 p.m.
                       Read the two betrayals story pageScarab 6/3/05 8:50 a.m.
     Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryUtopiaUnknown 6/2/05 5:43 p.m.
           Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryEchoes 6/2/05 5:45 p.m.
           Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryJillybean 6/2/05 6:17 p.m.
                 Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryUtopiaUnknown 6/2/05 7:02 p.m.
                       Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryThe Freeloader 6/2/05 7:35 p.m.
                             Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theorymrbananas 6/2/05 8:43 p.m.
                 Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryNarcogen 6/3/05 4:25 a.m.
           Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryDocOctavius 6/2/05 6:32 p.m.
     The Great JourneyFlashman 6/2/05 7:02 p.m.
           Re: The Great JourneyEchoes 6/2/05 7:06 p.m.
           Re: The Great JourneyJollyRoger 6/2/05 7:20 p.m.
           Re: The Great Journeymrbananas 6/2/05 8:15 p.m.
                 Re: The Great Journeypaulicus the great 6/2/05 11:23 p.m.
                 Re: The Great JourneyMikeChance 6/2/05 11:29 p.m.
                       Re: The Great JourneyMikeChance 6/2/05 11:31 p.m.
     Re: HSP updated - I don't agree with that theoryUrsusArctos 6/3/05 8:03 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.