glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Speculation. Very Rampant. Warning, Long Post.
Posted By: chaotic_mindDate: 6/29/04 5:57 a.m.

In Response To: heres my problem.. (Zaknafein)

: My problem with your theory lies in the above paragraph. The Flood have
: overrun almost everything, and the only thing the Forerunner can do is
: starve them to death. They do this by activating the Halo's firing
: mechanism and destroying all of the Flood's food. This causes all of the
: Flood in the galaxy to starve to death, and thus eliminating their threat.
: However, they spare the Flood that live in the Halos for some reason.
: Remember, to spare the Flood from total extinction, the Forerunner would
: have had to feed them from time to time.
: The Forerunner have to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy including
: themselves to destroy the Flood, yet they spare samples of them for no
: purpose what so ever. I know, I know, research value. But I really don't
: see how any kind of benifits from researching the Flood could outweigh the
: risk of their escape (which, I might add, is pretty high, considering the
: MC had sucha hard time returning the index). Additionally, if they wanted
: to spare some research value for future generations, the Forerunner could
: have just stored a sample of their DNA.

Warning. This has become so rampant, so speculative, I think it's crossed the line into fan fiction. In each hypothesis I tried to ground myself in the mythos of Halo, but I just let myself go. I'm half tempted not to post, but who knows how close I may have unintentionally come. I'm sure you, reader, know better than I do. That said...

To me, there are two facts that we know.

The Forerunner thought a Flood escape was worse then the destruction of all sentience (or is that sentient life) in the universe.

They also felt the benefits of study was worth risking the end to all life in the world.

Several possibiliies are suggested:

1) Maybe the Forerunner feared the source of the Flood. I see that the Flood could be some sort of terraforming/colonizinig agent. A bioweapon designed to ready our galaxy for life by creatures from outside. The Forerunner feared the dominance and enslavement they would promise to life in the galaxy, enough to risk their destruction to learn about the enemy from beyond. I call this the "Body Snatchers" hypothesis.

2) The Forerunner had a terrible, aeons old enemy, a Flood of Biblical Proportions(tm) . The Forerunner hid themselves under armor and cybernetics (MC was enough like this, that a Monitor desperate for attention that he could believe that MC was Forerunner) and faced an enemy that used biology as the Forerunner used metal and inorganics. The Flood spores were tiny soldiers in the fight with the Forerunner. Soldiers that became linked together in a hivemind of formidable intelligence. Neither enemy had much concern for future life in the galaxy. It didn't matter what worlds were glassed, what species were enslaved, so long as they won. It evolved into some game, fought at ultimate intensity between two undefeatable foes. Except the Forerunner had discovered the way. It would be a suicide play, resulting in the destruction of all Forerunner life. But the Flood would suffer a much worse fate. What Forerunner remained retreated to the Halo installations, and the Flood followed. Battle was joined, Forerunner and Flood alike were killed. The Reclaimer took one last jaunt through the Library, battling Flood in one last "heroic" campaign, and reuinted the Index with the Core. Halo fired. And the Flood were alone. No war, no food. Just a return to it's early primitate state as it's hosts were incinerated.

The Monitor was left behind to clean up the mess, to take the spores back to containment, a whistling away.

I call this the "Poor Sports" scenario.

3)The Forerunner are the Man, and Mother Nature doesn't like them very much. Imagine years of growth, of expansion. But, eventually, the Forerunner reached the edges of the galaxy. Beyond lay only intergalactic void. But Forerunner society had become a runaway train. The growth didn't stop, despite the fact that the galaxy had no more room. So, the Forerunner began to reach the carrying capacity of their society. The point beyond which there was just too many voices, too many mouths to feed. The Forerunner became a society at war with it self. Where once the Forerunner had journeyed into space united as one species, as one culture, they had shattered.

And so, an ancient enemy, long conquered, rose anew. A mad man made his way aboard on of the Forerunner Ecological Laboratories (better known to us as Halo, and now know to the Forerunner as the fortress of the elite) and liberated samples of the Flood. He released it into the overpopulated Forerunner worlds, and it quickly overran them. With out the ability to coordinate a unified response, the Forerunner had weak spots. Worlds where the defense had long ago been sabotaged. The Flood came here first, growing and learning. Becoming more intelligent. Eventually the Flood reached a point where it became of one mind. A mind obsessed with spreading itself to the universe. Everywhere in the universe. Immortality.

The Forerunner strong worlds, the Halos, with their weapons pointed every outward, brough samples of the Flood back to the labs of Halo. They studied it, hoping to find a cure, a vaccine, some salvation from the rising tide. It was soon too late. One careless mistake, perhaps, and the Flood were released in Halo. A plan was made. The weaponry brought to Halo to convert it to a fortress wordl could be used. It was part of an older plan. A plan to cleanse the universe of Forerunner, euthanasia for their species suffering. But, the component need to activate this There was one, one who braved the growing Flood prescence to descend into the depths of the Library. He was called Reclaimer.

He brought the Index up to the Core. On the final high ground left against this Flood, he felt the waves lap at his feet. The Control Room would soon be broken into. So...he turned the key. He gave the galaxy a second chance.

And so, around the galaxy, a million species were snuffed out. The Flood host bodies were destroyed, leaving behind the spore form. Over time, even these spores, harded against hundreds of years of vacuum, were destroyed.

But, what every one had forgotten, were the spores left in stasis. The spores intially brought for study. Still in incubators. It would take a million years for 343 GS to break through the encryption hiding them from his data banks. And by that time he didn't care.

I call this, "Whoops, I Did It Again" scenario.

Having exhausted, for one time at least, my creativity, and my ability to make logical connections, I submit this for approval. From the twilight zone.

Luke P.

There are over a hundred days left, right. And Bungie keeps teasing us with articles and videos and screen shots. There are many unanswered questions left from Halo, questions that are being reasked and reconsidered in the anticipation to Halo 2. There are new webcomics and new videos and new mods, all of which just remind us how old Halo is, and how new Halo 2 will be. And we have some hundred thirty days left!

Oh dear.

Message Index

Replies:

The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)yakaman 6/27/04 2:22 p.m.
     The above is long, REAL long. *NM*DragonReborn 6/27/04 2:24 p.m.
     None...I like it. *NM*Marcus 6/27/04 2:25 p.m.
           Ditto. *NM*Blitzwolf 6/27/04 2:47 p.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Ninja Steve 6/27/04 2:51 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)wmaltby 6/27/04 3:30 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Elf Lord 6/27/04 3:58 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)chaotic_mind 6/27/04 5:01 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Nondre 6/27/04 5:06 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Zaknafein 6/28/04 11:17 a.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Lone Sniper SG 7/12/04 9:02 p.m.
                             Hey, back it up...Mr.Mongoose 7/12/04 9:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Hey, back it up...mnemesis 7/12/04 10:11 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Zaknafein 6/28/04 11:15 a.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)th3ranger 6/30/04 10:52 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Matfield 7/1/04 10:42 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Zealous 6/29/04 12:44 a.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)aznthunder 6/29/04 1:41 a.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Alf-Life 7/11/04 11:11 a.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Vitron 7/11/04 12:44 p.m.
                 It's a novel!yakaman 7/11/04 12:46 p.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Louis Wu 6/27/04 3:35 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Mr. Mojo Risin 6/27/04 4:19 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)wmaltby 6/27/04 4:20 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)a Bomb 7/12/04 8:43 p.m.
                             Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Lone Sniper SG 7/12/04 8:54 p.m.
                                   Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Pak 7/12/04 9:04 p.m.
                             Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Pak 7/12/04 9:00 p.m.
                                   Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)a Bomb 7/12/04 9:07 p.m.
                                         and I'm NOT one of them :P *NM*a Bomb 7/12/04 9:09 p.m.
                                         Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Pak 7/12/04 9:19 p.m.
                                               Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)a Bomb 7/12/04 9:38 p.m.
                                               Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)scorpionx7 7/12/04 11:18 p.m.
                             A fun idea but you forgot its "local years"Gundulf 7/12/04 9:23 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Sep7imus [subnova] 6/27/04 5:05 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Pico 6/27/04 5:13 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Wado SG 6/27/04 5:16 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Zaknafein 6/28/04 11:21 a.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)cyberdude21 7/28/04 10:36 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 6/27/04 5:13 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)yakaman 6/27/04 8:14 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Zaknafein 6/28/04 11:37 a.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)th3ranger 6/30/04 11:03 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)a Bomb 7/12/04 8:51 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Pak 7/12/04 8:56 p.m.
                             Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)a Bomb 7/12/04 8:59 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Steve Ollett 7/1/04 3:13 a.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Nondre 6/27/04 5:07 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 6/27/04 5:18 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Nondre 6/27/04 5:23 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Louis Wu 6/27/04 8:52 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 6/27/04 9:52 p.m.
     I notice one major flawToddzilla 6/27/04 7:32 p.m.
           Re: I notice one major flawchaotic_mind 6/27/04 8:05 p.m.
                 Re: I notice one major flawToddzilla 6/27/04 8:14 p.m.
                       Re: I notice one major flawchaotic_mind 6/27/04 8:19 p.m.
                             Re: I notice one major flawyakaman 6/27/04 8:26 p.m.
                                   Re: I notice one major flawSaint 6/27/04 10:21 p.m.
                 Re: I notice one major flawyakaman 6/27/04 8:35 p.m.
                 Re: I notice one major flawSaint 6/27/04 10:13 p.m.
           Re: I notice one major flawyakaman 6/27/04 8:23 p.m.
     heres my problem..Zaknafein 6/28/04 12:09 p.m.
           Re: heres my problem..yakaman 6/28/04 5:35 p.m.
                 Re: heres my problem..Timmay 6/28/04 7:56 p.m.
                 Re: heres my problem..Karellen Lurksalot 6/29/04 4:31 a.m.
                       Re: heres my problem..Zaknafein 6/29/04 11:09 a.m.
                             Re: heres my problem..Karellen Lurksalot 6/29/04 12:23 p.m.
                                   Re: heres my problem..Louis Wu 6/29/04 12:32 p.m.
                                         Re: heres my problem..Karellen Lurksalot 6/29/04 1:58 p.m.
                                               Re: heres my problem..Rampant Cowboy 6/29/04 5:16 p.m.
                                               Re: heres my problem..ThorsHammer 6/29/04 9:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: heres my problem..Karellen Lurksalot 6/30/04 4:52 a.m.
                                   Re: heres my problem..Zaknafein 6/29/04 3:35 p.m.
                             DNA isn't enough to revive a species.LietLives 6/29/04 11:36 p.m.
                 Re: heres my problem..Steve Ollett 7/1/04 3:22 a.m.
           Speculation. Very Rampant. Warning, Long Post.chaotic_mind 6/29/04 5:57 a.m.
           Re: heres my problem..Wado SG 6/29/04 11:32 p.m.
                 Re: heres my problem..LietLives 6/30/04 12:03 a.m.
           Re: heres my problem..a Bomb 7/12/04 9:27 p.m.
     sounds interestingCerenox 7/1/04 3:54 a.m.
           Re: sounds interestingSOA 7/1/04 5:52 a.m.
                 They bounce like a superball...Darkendes 7/2/04 3:11 a.m.
                       Re: They bounce like a superball...SOA 7/2/04 6:42 a.m.
                             Forgot to mention...SOA 7/2/04 6:56 a.m.
                                   Re: Forgot to mention...Darkendes 7/2/04 7:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Forgot to mention...chaotic_mind 7/2/04 6:09 p.m.
                                         how bout this......Timmay 7/2/04 10:57 p.m.
     Just some thoughts on all this...Mahars 7/8/04 12:18 a.m.
           Only nine planets in our Solar System, not galaxy *NM*Mister Chiffe 7/8/04 3:10 a.m.
                 10, actually, You're forgetting Sedna *NM* *NM*Menelvendwarf 7/8/04 4:28 a.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)up this 7/8/04 7:56 p.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)st. manathus 7/8/04 11:07 p.m.
           Its Been Said?Phaiz 7/9/04 4:48 a.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Noir. 7/12/04 6:51 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Pak 7/12/04 6:58 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)owlalf 7/12/04 7:08 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)a Bomb 7/13/04 9:00 a.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Timmay 7/13/04 11:11 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)scorpionx7 7/12/04 11:28 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)yakaman 7/12/04 11:28 p.m.
     Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Raphite 7/13/04 10:04 p.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Timmay 7/13/04 11:24 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)scorpionx7 7/14/04 1:36 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Raphite 7/14/04 6:33 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Timmay 7/15/04 2:50 a.m.
           Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)yakaman 7/14/04 2:38 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Raphite 7/14/04 6:55 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)scorpionx7 7/14/04 8:33 p.m.
                       Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)PsycoJoe 7/15/04 12:07 a.m.
                             The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Timmay 7/15/04 3:00 a.m.
                                   Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)scorpionx7 7/15/04 2:37 p.m.
                             Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)scorpionx7 7/15/04 2:36 p.m.
                             Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Raphite 7/15/04 10:58 p.m.
                 Re: The Theory of Everything (for Halo, at least)Timmay 7/15/04 2:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.