/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The politics/philosphy of mapping
Posted By: RyokoTKDate: 8/18/06 4:34 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The politics/philosphy of mapping (Aaron Sikes)

: That's always been my take on things, too. But it's more a matter of
: discipline for me. I can stay committed and feel upbeat about my project
: for weeks and months (okay, I just got started. I don't know the pain of
: seeing a project linger for over a year or more), but sitting down and
: actually putting some time in with Forge has been a real killer for me.
: Life intrudes and maps aren't produced.

It hurts. It hurts when you want to do it, but can't because of Real Life Issues. It hurts when you can, and you know you should, but you lack the inspiration. It hurts when there's a deadline you have to make, and you don't know if you're going to make it. It hurts to fail to live up to your own expectations. It hurts to think you didn't do a good job. Making my scenario was one of the most painful experiences for me. Fun. But painful.

: I also agree that we're not out here trying to outdo one another or make The
: Best 3rd Party Marathon Scenario Ever... we all want our work to be
: appreciated, but we want to enjoy the process of the work as well,
: otherwise perseverance is hard to come by. [snippy snippy]

Trying to be "the best" in this community is such a bad idea anyway. Why even bother? The term is defined differently by different people, to a point where it's impossible to actually make "the best." To me, "the best" is Marathon EVIL. I don't even know why, because a lot of the mentality behind its levels does not jive with my own. But to me, it's the best. Many people believe Rubicon is "the best." What's the difference? Who knows?

To me, when you set yourself out making a scenario, you need to have an image. There needs to be a certain mentality behind your game, which makes it different from any other scenario. What do you want the player to be focusing on while he plays? The monsters he's killing, or the rooms he's killing them in? For scenarios like Tempus Irae and Rubicon, I can wager that they intend to shock and awe the player with excellent architecture. For my scenario, I'd much rather focus on fast and furious combat. The testers tell me the architecture is good, which is fine with me.

: "If at some time you come to see your painting as having no touch of the
: original, nothing fresh or contemporary, it is better to put down your
: brush and exercise your energies elsewhere for a time. If you instead keep
: painting you should simply abandon the work, as there is no hope for
: it."

So true.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 7:00 a.m.
     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/16/06 7:46 a.m.
           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 12:49 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/16/06 2:17 p.m.
                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 6:39 p.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 9:29 a.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/17/06 10:00 a.m.
                                         Ditto *NM*Steve Levinson 8/17/06 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 2:18 p.m.
                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/16/06 2:24 p.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 3:19 p.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAdam Ashwell 8/16/06 3:47 p.m.
                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 3:53 p.m.
                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/16/06 5:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 6:50 p.m.
                                                           *restarts older save game* ;) *NM*Aaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:37 a.m.
                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/16/06 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 6:00 p.m.
                                                           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/16/06 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/16/06 6:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:31 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 3:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingrampancy 8/17/06 9:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 9:11 a.m.
                                                           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAachim 8/17/06 12:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 3:47 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/17/06 6:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingpatrick 8/17/06 8:21 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 9:47 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingScifiteki 8/17/06 1:53 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingBlake37 8/17/06 2:19 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingukimalefu 8/17/06 6:47 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 7:03 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 2:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingForrest of B.org 8/17/06 3:17 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:11 p.m.
                                                                                                     High-res stuff and very large filesForrest of B.org 8/17/06 4:38 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filesBlake37 8/17/06 4:51 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filestreellama 8/17/06 6:25 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: High-res stuff and very large filesukimalefu 8/17/06 7:00 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 7:16 p.m.
                                                                                               Eternal Pfhor texturesAaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:46 a.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingSteve Levinson 8/17/06 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:13 p.m.
     Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingC Lund 8/16/06 11:03 p.m.
           Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 4:32 a.m.
                 Thanks for all the input--and apologies...Aaron Sikes 8/17/06 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: Thanks for all the input--and apologies...Adam Ashwell 8/17/06 6:53 a.m.
                             Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/17/06 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingAaron Sikes 8/18/06 6:02 a.m.
                                         Re: The politics/philosphy of mappingRyokoTK 8/18/06 4:34 p.m.
                             Scrap it and rebuild from scratchForrest of B.org 8/17/06 10:46 a.m.
                                   Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchAdam Ashwell 8/17/06 11:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchBlake37 8/17/06 12:34 p.m.
                                               Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchForrest of B.org 8/17/06 12:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Scrap it and rebuild from scratchBlake37 8/17/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                           You insiders are making me jealous *NM*Steve Levinson 8/17/06 7:24 p.m.
                                                                 Everything is on the dev siteForrest of B.org 8/18/06 1:40 a.m.
                                                                       Not found error--?? *NM*Aaron Sikes 8/18/06 5:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Not found error--??Adam Ashwell 8/18/06 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   A few notes and a requestAdam Ashwell 8/18/06 10:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: A few notes and a requestBlake37 8/18/06 12:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.