/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?
Posted By: YossarianDate: 4/22/05 4:34 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Another meaning of Double Aught? (Bob-B-Q)

: It was for a college paper on the modern concept of home defense. I don't own
: one as of yet.

I'm not sure what the gauge was for the shotgun in Marathon, but the pellet size would obviously differ depending on the ammunition used. I think double-aught buck would be an effective round in terms of stopping, but if the barrel is as short as the WSTE-M, I'd assume go with smaller and therefore more pellets for a better spread.

The WSTE-M5 would be effective for fighting close-quarters or defensive roles, but as an offensive weapon you'd really have to get close to the enemy for it to be effective. It's small size I can see it being used as a secondary weapon in lieu of a handgun, but the double-barrel configuration never made much sense to me, especially with that pistol grip on it. Shooting twin 12-gauge rounds out of one hand may be possible for a cyborg, but the commom soldier would have a pretty sore arm after a while if not a shattered elbow (don't lock your elbows, kids). And I ain't even going to try to understand the reloading mechanism.

As for home defense, I had a Maverick 88 Security shotgun with a pistol grip pump stock (and the regular stock) in 12 gauge. It was actually a Mossberg 500 but branded as a Maverick. Held six rounds, five in the magazine and one in the chamber and it had an 18.5" barrel (the 20" model held seven rounds, want to get one of those some day). I actually sold it to a co-worker and am thinking of buying it back. The problem with large buck shot in the home defense application is its ability to penetrate walls, a big no-no.

I think a shotty is ideal for protecting *property* but in the home itself I'd go with a handgun. Currently, I have a Smith and Wesson .40 Cal Sigma 40F police issue and two 15-round law enforcement clips. From what I've heard, the .38 or 9mm are actually better for home defense, as the .40 and 10mm were actually designed to better penetrate obstacles (car doors, walls). An autoloading handgun can hold more rounds than a shotty (not so a revolver), but you have to see what you're shooting at as opposed with the shotgun where you're shooting in the direction of the intruder.

Also, a shotgun blast has more of a shit-your-pants and run effect on whoever is on the business end of it, so there's always that...

I'm writing my research paper on how the design of the AK-47 (have one) and its use in the Vietnam War as a guerilla weapon exemplified the Marxist ideals of the states/groups that employed it. Interesting stuff.

-Yossarian
(Gun-owning nihilist bastard)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Another meaning of Double Aught?Bob-B-Q 4/21/05 4:32 p.m.
     Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Vid Boi 4/22/05 2:57 a.m.
           Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Bob-B-Q 4/22/05 4:02 a.m.
                 Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Yossarian 4/22/05 4:34 a.m.
                       Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Andromeda_5[Kilo] 4/22/05 4:41 a.m.
                             Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Yossarian 4/22/05 5:21 a.m.
                                   Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Bob-B-Q 4/22/05 8:20 a.m.
                                         Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Yossarian 4/22/05 9:18 a.m.
                       Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Deathmonger 4/22/05 12:17 p.m.
                             Re: Another meaning of Double Aught?Yossarian 4/22/05 1:42 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.