/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Prudent Application of Time Travel
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/9/05 9:03 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Prudent Application of Time Travel (Blayne)

: Something that's puzzled me is this: In any of the Trilogies
: "failure" timelines, that universe ends in immediate / imminent
: chaos (i.e: W'kkr release).
: Do these Chaos universe(s) cease to exist, or simply continue onward in a
: state of chaos?
: Also, do "failure" timeline(s) always have to end in [immediate]
: Chaos - or can they continue on for [trillions?] of years, only to end in
: entropy?

: What I'm getting at is this; the players conciousness [usually] exits
: timelines after they become inhabitable failures (by Jjaros' standards
: anyhow). There is no more history to that timeline, it's chaos. Yet, could
: there be timelines where "time" continues onward after the
: player "leaves"?

I would say yes, they do. In fact in the case of Eternal, you'll note that you go through quite a bit of time (two levels is a little bit of time) after making a "failure" decision, and only see the consequences of that failed timeline when you jump via Cybernetic Junction. Only when you travel Outside do you dream. Notice in Infinity, you always jump timelines immediately after somebody reactivates Thoth? (the "S'pht AI" is not S'bhuth - S'bhuth is the Older of S'pht'Kr and thus does not return until they do. Read your M2).

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangent (pun intended). Take any of the failure timelines in Eternal and consider what has happened since you left the timeline, and when you arrive at Inti Station in it's future - there's been considerable time between messing up events at Tau Ceti and when the Pfhor arrive at Earth, fight a losing battle for a while, and THEN deploy the trih xeem, and even at the point you are witnessing, the W'rkncacnter hasn't been released yet, it's just about to.

In chapter 2, you've got less time between screwing with the events of the war, Tycho commandeering a Pfhor fleet or three and heading straight to Earth to blow up our sun.

Chapter 3 is about the only place where the destruction is immediate. Soon after you leave the failed timeline, the S'pht'Kr arrive, the Pfhor deploy the trih xeem and the W'rkncacnter in that sun is released.

In Chapters 4 and 5, the failure wouldn't happen for quite a long time. The ultimate effect in each of them is that the Pfhor empire never begins it's fall, and some point along the way, nobody is paying attention when some W'rkncacnter awakens.

: Where you go with Eternal's Jjaro timeline jumping craziness is up to you,
: but I found one thing through my work with WMaiD: The more complex a set
: of jumps between timelines becomes, the harder (and less fun!) your life
: as a designer becomes.

: Keep things straight forward, and we'll all appreciate it Forrest.

Agreed. I've got a rather large fictional universe (non-Marathon-related) that used to rely rather heavily on time travel, and I've since begun the process of eliminating time travel from it entirely. It seems like one way or another, you always get to "what's the point?" and any motivation is lost, and thus there is no story. The only reason I've kept time travel around in Eternal is cause, uh... well the whole story basically revolves around it, and it's a lot harder to rewrite a story that an already-built game relies on than it is to revise a story that's just a highly complex outline.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIblake37 2/9/05 12:26 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIISteve Levinson 2/9/05 2:44 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIForrest of B.org 2/9/05 3:58 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIISteve Levinson 2/9/05 4:34 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIForrest of B.org 2/9/05 5:21 p.m.
                             The Prudent Application of Time TravelForrest of B.org 2/9/05 6:37 p.m.
                                   Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelSteve Levinson 2/9/05 7:00 p.m.
                                         Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelForrest of B.org 2/9/05 7:46 p.m.
                                               Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelBlayne 2/9/05 8:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelForrest of B.org 2/9/05 9:03 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIblake37 2/9/05 5:12 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.