/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Prudent Application of Time Travel
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 2/9/05 7:00 p.m.

In Response To: The Prudent Application of Time Travel (Forrest of B.org)

I don't have time to get into this tonight - I have an early morning meeting. The one major problem I have with your theory of time travel and branching timelines is that, even if you do go back and create your own universe that has the outcome you desire, someone else can go back and create one with a very different outcome. So there you are - a copy of you in your ideal universe, and a duplicate in a less-than-ideal universe. So maybe your double decides to go back and interfere yet again, completely unaware that there is already an ideal universe out there in which you're content. Multiply all of this by the number of entities with the ability to time travel and the number of times they do so and you end up with a hell of a lot of different timelines out there. It makes for interesting science fiction, but it's only fiction. There has to be some logical, physical limit on this to make it believable. Perhaps each branch point creates not a new timeline, but rather a finite time loop. These loops must be limited (perhaps something about conservation of matter and energy) and at some point they either end, join back with the main timeline or become the main timeline. Forrest, I leave it to you to come up with your own practical approach.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIblake37 2/9/05 12:26 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIISteve Levinson 2/9/05 2:44 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIForrest of B.org 2/9/05 3:58 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIISteve Levinson 2/9/05 4:34 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIForrest of B.org 2/9/05 5:21 p.m.
                             The Prudent Application of Time TravelForrest of B.org 2/9/05 6:37 p.m.
                                   Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelSteve Levinson 2/9/05 7:00 p.m.
                                         Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelForrest of B.org 2/9/05 7:46 p.m.
                                               Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelBlayne 2/9/05 8:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Prudent Application of Time TravelForrest of B.org 2/9/05 9:03 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers: BabylonVIIblake37 2/9/05 5:12 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.