/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pathways into Data
Posted By: xcaliburDate: 3/13/17 8:57 p.m.

In Response To: Pathways into Data (xcalibur)

I appreciate all the feedback.

I've decided to add an addendum.

First, I'd like to clarify that while the gas mask doesn't seem to affect damage output, I can't rule out the possibility that it does have an effect on that or some other stat. All I can say with certainty is that it must be a subtle effect, if present. I also tested the Green Oozes, but still nothing to report. My personal theory is that the gas mask would've been used for the green headlesses, which are in the Shapes file but are unused in the game. This is pure speculation of course.

Speaking of the Green Oozes, I discovered that it's possible to get past them without using the thick brown potion. Instead, you can drink a bubbling red potion and straferun through the corridors -- you'll cut it close, but you can make it through.

When monsters damage each other via friendly fire, it seems to do 2x normal damage. That's the only way I can explain the discrepancies between hp/damage output and the effects of friendly fire, e.g. headlesses go down after 3 slimeballs or 2 bones, and zombies go down in 4 slimeballs or 3 bones. This does not add up, unless you add a 2x modifier for friendly fire damage.

Mac OS X port vs original: I found that the port is very faithful to the original game. However, there are a number of differences. The port has the gold room glitch, as well as a slowdown glitch (noticeable after checking the map). But wait, that's not all! The infrared goggles have a darker red tint in the port, while they seem brighter with a more orange hue in the original. The MP38 has a more complex firing pattern in the original. There's also a typo: the port has the level name "Where Only *Fool* Dare Tread" when it should be, "Where Only *Fools* Dare Tread". However, there are also positive differences in the port: portals are much more translucent, it has floor/ceiling textures, and it offers a larger world view window. The port is also more convenient, as there's no need to go through the copy protection routine, or use an emulator such as Basilisk II.

Overall, the port looks/feels vaguely different from the original. It's hard to pin down what it is, but it's something. This isn't meant to take anything away from the port of course -- as I said, it's a faithful reproduction, and the information I posted is consistent across both versions AFAIK.

One more easter egg: when loading up a game in the port, the worldview window will briefly have the title "Witness Total Carnage" before switching to the proper level name, while the original displays "Untitled" instead.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pathways into Dataxcalibur 2/20/17 11:27 p.m.
     Re: Pathways into DataBob-B-Q 2/21/17 10:44 a.m.
     Re: Pathways into DataBo Lindbergh 2/21/17 3:11 p.m.
     Re: Pathways into DataVikingBoyBilly 2/22/17 1:48 a.m.
     Re: Pathways into DataPresident People 2/23/17 9:26 p.m.
     Re: Pathways Into Speedrunningaperturegrillz 2/28/17 11:48 a.m.
     Re: Pathways into Dataxcalibur 3/13/17 8:57 p.m.
           Re: Pathways into DataBob-B-Q 3/14/17 7:27 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into DataGodot 3/15/17 7:26 a.m.
           Re: Pathways into DataMark Levin 3/14/17 8:25 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into Dataxcalibur 3/14/17 3:44 p.m.
                       Re: Pathways into DataGodot 3/15/17 8:07 a.m.
           Re: Pathways into DataVikingBoyBilly 3/15/17 2:48 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into DataGodot 3/20/17 6:58 a.m.
           Re: Pathways into DataGodot 3/20/17 6:51 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into DataMark Levin 3/23/17 9:51 a.m.
                       Re: Pathways into DataVikingBoyBilly 3/24/17 3:30 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.