/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.
Posted By: AdamDate: 4/23/16 10:11 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man. (VikingBoyBilly)

: This is awesome!

: Only one thing - these sound like midis. By that, I mean not the soundfont we
: know and love in aleph one (which was supposedly what the original game
: went with, if I was smart enough to know how to turn on the music in that
: ancient age), but the standard old common midi soundfont. I'm okay with
: this, I guess. Actually, I recorded the marathon music in emulation in
: sheepshaver myself a long time ago, if anyone is interested in the low
: quality. Is this just the way Trojan was always supposed to sound?

Considering the timing (c. 1997), the QuickTime instruments of the time were used and expected when Trojan was made. It could sound better, but the format not MIDI exactly.

It’s QuickTime Music which is based on MIDI but adds the ability to mod instruments. Technically, the original Music is made up of QT movies concatenated together (can be made to store sampled-sound tracks, but only QT Music was used).

The mods would be lost converting the tracks to basic MIDI. One of the Trojan tracks in particular (Song 17) makes use of custom instruments.

Live playback is limited in quality for performance of course. The “Export to AIFF” feature will try to complete all the effects, and allows for higher sample rates (I think PPC only goes as high as 22KHz stereo); the only drawback to Exporting is bug(s) in the QT mixing code that produce pops. I did what I could to fix the pops with Audacity… a long, educating process.

There are a few tools in the Archives (e.g., Marathon Music Exploder) to extract the song movies so they can be played back in native QuickTime (no need for an emulator afterward). Of course, you won't get the atmospheric effects I added for the MP3s…

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all of youDeChief 4/13/16 4:55 p.m.
     Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/13/16 11:16 p.m.
     Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofLion O Cyborg 4/14/16 12:21 a.m.
           Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/14/16 2:01 a.m.
                 Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofLion O Cyborg 4/14/16 2:52 a.m.
                       Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/14/16 3:00 a.m.
                             Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofLion O Cyborg 4/14/16 4:18 a.m.
                                   Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/14/16 4:38 a.m.
                                         Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofLion O Cyborg 4/14/16 5:49 a.m.
                                               Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofLion O Cyborg 4/14/16 5:59 a.m.
                             Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofGeneral-RADIX 4/14/16 6:26 a.m.
                                   Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/16/16 12:02 a.m.
                             Come on, give us the tracks, man. *NM*VikingBoyBilly 4/14/16 1:02 p.m.
                                   Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.Adam 4/21/16 9:21 a.m.
                                         Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.VikingBoyBilly 4/21/16 9:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.Adam 4/23/16 11:06 a.m.
                                                     Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.VikingBoyBilly 4/23/16 4:37 p.m.
                                                           Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.Adam 4/23/16 10:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.VikingBoyBilly 4/27/16 11:50 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.Adam 9/13/16 11:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.VikingBoyBilly 9/13/16 12:19 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Come on, give us the tracks, man.Adam 9/13/16 10:32 p.m.
           Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all of *LINK*Bob-B-Q 4/14/16 6:37 a.m.
                 Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofLion O Cyborg 4/14/16 7:18 a.m.
           Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all oftreellama 4/14/16 8:44 a.m.
           Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofForrest of B.org 4/14/16 10:27 a.m.
                 Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofVikingBoyBilly 4/14/16 1:05 p.m.
                 Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/14/16 2:41 p.m.
                       Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofForrest of B.org 4/14/16 2:59 p.m.
                             Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/15/16 3:55 p.m.
                                   Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofForrest of B.org 4/18/16 8:01 p.m.
                                         Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/18/16 9:54 p.m.
     Re: So, I happen to have a favour to ask of all ofDeChief 4/15/16 4:29 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.