/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 4/21/16 12:36 a.m.

In Response To: Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4 (VikingBoyBilly)

: Did you press the preview button?

Yes, quite a few times but I must have missed some of the mistakes as it was quite a long entry. I would like to correct some of them like the missing Muller image but there isn't an Edit option.

: I think you should leave your fanfic or whatever out of these writeups.
: Sailor moon injected into the Marathon timeline is just cringe.

It wasn't an actual entry in that one. More of a random passage of Gherrit White and Lovecraft's the Rats in the walls in reference to that floor's rats like in a secret terminal.

The Binding of Isaac part at the start also being like a secret terminal; you don't have to read it but it is there if you do and can always be skimmed. I apologise if both of these are just wasting bandwidth.

: Are you telling me Vlad the Impaler was a virgin? Yes, I read Dracula.
: Interesting that there's an explanation for why that other lady had a more
: drawn out effect than the first one that went full vampire.

I don't actually know if Vladimir was bitten before losing his virginity or because of something else; Bram never said and I don't think the writers of Hellsing and the Devil's Castle games did either.

We do know that Hellsing's Alucard is Dracula himself, only reformed after the original Van-Hellsing defeated and enslaved him after the events of the book.

: Oh, great, now I can't stop thinking of Zelda potions when I see these
: things.

I guess all RPG makers had influence somewhere with potion origins with Zelda being one of the first main ones. They probably wouldn't get away with naming their healing potion Coca Pepsi unless they signed a shady advertising deal with both coke companies so placebos were an ok stand in even if it meant evitable Zelda comparisons.

Random sodas in Duke Nukem 1 and 2 worked fine as did randomly named brands in SS2 and Deus Ex.

: Lovecraft... okay.

: *List of Easter eggs*

: What is Aardwolf?

Aardwolf was an Easter egg in the original Wolfenstein 3D which was at the end of a hard to reach secret area. It was a sprite of words that read "Call Apogee, say Aardwolf!" and they'd get a prize or something when they did so.

id had to pull the contest because people were cheating to find the secret or hacking the files so it wouldn't have been fair. They did leave in the reference to it though.

http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/AARDWOLF

: There's a trash can burger in Undertale referencing EarthBound.

: I agree with the others that the references need to be cut down a bit. That
: list was so long that I was glazed over and missed the punchline when you
: finally got to PiD, among all the metaphors that go over my head.

Yeah, I did go a bit overboard there. The conker one is worth keeping though the others could have been taken out or trimmed a little. I really shouldn't in hindsight of used too many Easter egg examples in the list and just gave a couple like Marathon and Halo, Tomb Raider 3 and Wolfenstein only before mentioning PID's one.

: Funnyly enough, Greed is the only enemy with a fiery death, and as some past
: posts have gone into, he can be killed with the freeze crystal, engulfing
: him in cold, blue fire.

That is indeed true. I don't know if the lack of fire deaths for other monsters was because of technical limitations or because it would have been too much drawing and photoshop coloring in to do before the release date.

Greed even dies of fire without using the crystals so maybe it's just a bag of burning gasses like its a Super Nightmare or something, and those gasses are escaping when his armour finally breaks. (Hydrogen maybe, hence his armours high strength?)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Lion O Cyborg 4/19/16 8:17 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Lion O Cyborg 4/19/16 8:58 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Lion O Cyborg 4/19/16 9:21 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4General-RADIX 4/19/16 10:07 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Martin 4/19/16 2:51 p.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Bob-B-Q 4/20/16 7:15 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4VikingBoyBilly 4/20/16 10:37 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Lion O Cyborg 4/21/16 12:36 a.m.
                 Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4VikingBoyBilly 4/21/16 7:30 a.m.
                       Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Lion O Cyborg 4/21/16 8:23 a.m.
                             Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4VikingBoyBilly 4/21/16 3:33 p.m.
                                   Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4Lion O Cyborg 4/22/16 12:59 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 4xcalibur 4/24/16 11:12 p.m.
           While I'm here...xcalibur 4/24/16 11:31 p.m.
                 Re: While I'm here...Lion O Cyborg 4/25/16 6:16 a.m.
                       Re: While I'm here...Lion O Cyborg 4/25/16 6:21 a.m.
                             Re: While I'm here...VikingBoyBilly 4/25/16 11:40 a.m.
                                   Re: While I'm here...xcalibur 4/25/16 12:12 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.