/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great Pyramid
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 7/22/15 1:07 p.m.

In Response To: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great Pyramid (Lion O Cyborg)

Woah, the first time I opened this, a lot of pics were broken, but now they all loaded properly! Did you find the secret edit button?

You're comparing PID to too many things. To me, PID was something unique. Back in 1995 or whenever it was that I played around in one of the demos, the only other things I knew of to compare it to was Marathon, and an ancient black & white mac game called Scarab of Ra. Actually, it feels a lot like a natural sequel to scarab of ra, even though they're completely unrelated (first-person pyramid dungeon crawling about treasure collection, resource management, getting lost and barely surviving).

About those chains... the instruction manual makes a big deal out of the chains being a gameplay element and you should be cautious of pulling some of them, not knowing what they'll do, but these are the only two chains in the game. What a way to underuse a gimmick. It's like removing all the buttons in doom after map e1m1, but PID more than makes up for that with replacing the monotony of switch based puzzles with a wide variety of insane tricks and traps (mostly designed to sucker punch you until you find the right clue or item).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidLion O Cyborg 7/22/15 2:31 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidVikingBoyBilly 7/22/15 10:39 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidLion O Cyborg 7/22/15 10:46 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidVikingBoyBilly 7/22/15 1:07 p.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidLion O Cyborg 7/23/15 1:33 a.m.
                 Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidPerseusSpartacus 7/23/15 8:14 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidBob-B-Q 7/23/15 5:36 a.m.
                 Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidPhiltron 7/23/15 5:43 a.m.
                       Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidMartin 7/23/15 1:17 p.m.
                             Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 1: the Great PyramidPhiltron 7/23/15 3:48 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.