/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Beta 2 test: Ingue Ferroque
Posted By: GodotDate: 7/30/13 2:02 a.m.

And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very, very
Mad world

Mad world indeed. This level will have you running in circles, as you perform in Jason's 3 ring circus dancing to Alex's merry beat.

It's only when you die do you fully appreciate why Bungie called the previous level "Try again". Yes, it's a perverse form of gaming torture popularised by Bungie in the early '90s but you have to remember Marathon came out before the Chicago Convention was introduced. This established internationally agreed standards for the humanitarian treatment of gamers. Don't believe me, well just play Marathon 2 and see the difference.

They just don't make games like Marathon any more. Nor do they make levels like Ingue Ferroque. Even the level name says it al… Groin of Iron (aka Iron Balls). And don't let Jason fool you when he says he spelt it wrong. You're going to need 'balls of steel' to finish this level.

Remember what Jason said about Habe Quiddam:

I should have made more levels that doubled-back on themselves like this one.

Who was he kidding? The exit terminal on Ingue Ferroque is directly behind you when arrive. Fire two rockets at your feet and you're there. Quickest level to complete in all of the Trilogy. Of course, your balls are now a squishy mush from the rocket blast. Ingue Ferroque anyone.

Just getting to Bungie's secret credits terminal will freak your mind out. It's a 5D space maze baby. And when you final solve it the Pfhor will hand you your butt on a plate. Want fries with that?

Nobody said getting rid of the Pfhor was going to be easy.

But in the end you survive the three rings, you take that leap of faith, you run the gauntlet of fire and tumble (like Alice) down Hell's well. You turn to see the final terminal. You read the final text. You teleport out…

In an interview with Jason Jones for the Official Strategy Guide, Jason mused:

Marathon's ending really does leave a lot of room for something else to happen. I don't know how many people noticed this, but the very last thing that happens to the player in Marathon is that he is teleported off the last level to where? Maybe someday we'll take advantage of this.

And the rest they say is history.

This has been a rush folks.

Hats off to Gregory and Jeremiah for getting us this far. :)

Cheers
Hamish

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Beta 2 test: Ingue FerroqueGodot 7/30/13 2:02 a.m.
     Re: Beta 2 test: Ingue Ferroquetreellama 7/30/13 3:19 a.m.
           Re: Beta 2 test: Ingue FerroqueGodot 7/30/13 3:40 a.m.
     Re: Beta 2 test: Ingue FerroqueAntarctico 7/30/13 6:07 a.m.
           Re: Beta 2 test: Ingue FerroquePerseusSpartacus 7/30/13 11:50 a.m.
                 Re: Beta 2 test: Ingue FerroqueAntarctico 7/30/13 3:20 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.