/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

JULY 2006 Netmapmaking Competition!
Posted By: RyokoTKDate: 7/3/06 9:35 a.m.

Hello! I'm here again to notify you about this year's netmap contest. Last year I hosted a similar one, and the winners can be found on Fileball under "Victory Dance." This year, I hope to make it bigger and better than before.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, HERE ARE THE RULES:
- The deadline is July 24 -- as of this post, you have three weeks in which you must have submitted your map.
- ONLY NETMAPS ARE ALLOWED
- Any ORIGINAL netmap that was not completed before July 1 will be allowed.
- No remakes or "rhapsody" (combination) maps. Following with the above rule, I am judging your map on its creativity and originality.
- No 7-polygon maps. Your map will be judged on the depth of your mapping.
- Only one map per person. The last file received by any competitor on July 23 will be judged.
- No collaborating. The map must be constructed by you, and you alone, though you are free to playtest it with other people.
- No CTF maps or any map that requires scripts -- just for simplicity's sake.
- All maps must use DEFAULT INFINITY SHAPES, SOUNDS, PHYSICS, etc.

I will judge the maps on a 70-point scale. The map that scores the most points out of 70 is the winner of the contest. The scoring table is below:

FLOW: 20 points
- As in, how facilitated is player movement, how easy is it to find combat, how well you can find the guns, how fast and succinct the corridors and lifts are, etc. etc. Being that flow is the most important factor in any map, it's worth the most points. Trick lifts, water cannons, and so forth

BALANCE: 15 points
- Misplaced spawn points, blind teleports, slow-moving doors, skewed weapon locations, ridiculously overpowered guns based on map design, excessive health or powerups, or any instance where the surviving player holds a massive advantage over any other player will cause this to go down.

ARCHITECTURE AND DEPTH: 10 points
- The depth of your polygon usage goes here. Attention to detail, "eye candy," fancy lighting, and what-have-you all factor into this. A map that is nice to look at will do better here, but remember: don't sacrifice flow for good architecture. Last year's winner (Sacral) was not the greatest looking map ever, but it won, and it looked quite nice regardless.

ORIGINALITY: 10 points
- If your map, in design, is unique, you will get the full points here. Arena maps will do very poorly, because I have seen way too many arenas for another arena to possibly be original anymore. This doesn't mean "lol map made out of hallways," but one-room maps will probably get only one or two points. Any map that scores a 0 in Originality will be disqualified.

FUN: 10 points
- Proper weapon placement, a good level of carnage without being excessive or unfair, and a properly-sized map are all good factors of sheer fun. Flow does not necessarily mean fun.

FUNCTIONALITY: 5 points
- No untextured sides, no inescapable traps that don't automatically kill you (lava traps are okay, empty holes are not), include eight player spawns, and so forth. It's not hard to get all 5 points here. Any map that scores less than 4 points in Functionality will be automatically disqualified.

Score summary:
FLOW: 20 points
BALANCE: 15 points
ARCHITECTURE AND DEPTH: 10 points
ORIGINALITY: 10 points
FUN: 10 points
FUNCTIONALITY: 5 points
TOTAL: 70 points

Your map is not guaranteed a section-by-section critique of your map (i.e. why your map only got 12 points for Flow), but you will be scored.

Remember: the deadline is July 24, 3 weeks from the start of this contest. The winner will be announced anywhere between then and August 1. Anyone is allowed to compete. The top few maps will be merged into a pack and distributed, while the remainder will remain forgotten.

Heh.

Most importantly, though, have fun. And let the game begin. To submit your map, e-mail it to RyokoTK@Gmail.com -- do not submit it as an attachment on any Pfhorum or send it to me by any other means. You are not allowed to seek critique from me. Don't ask. Your score will be reserved until the contest is over.

Disclaimer: Submitting your map to me means you forefit all right to your map -- in other words, it is mine to distribute. You will be credited appropriately for your map. I reserve the right to disqualify any map or mapmaker for any reason not listed above at any time, or no reason at all. If you have any complaints, questions, queries, or anything else like that, e-mail me, but know that I may spontaneously decide to disqualify you if I don't like what you wrote. Just kidding. Or am I?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

JULY 2006 Netmapmaking Competition!RyokoTK 7/3/06 9:35 a.m.
     Re: JULY 2006 Netmapmaking Competition!Forrest of B.org 7/3/06 11:23 a.m.
           Re: JULY 2006 Netmapmaking Competition!RyokoTK 7/3/06 2:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.