/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Redemption Returns
Posted By: YossarianDate: 5/16/05 8:06 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Redemption Returns (Bob-B-Q)

: $330 for an AK clone? Less than I expected.

That's pretty much what you're going to see for the stock post-ban WASR's out there. They're not the best of rifles, (some refer to them jokingly as "What A Sh*tty Rifle") but they usually work fine. Just do a thorough check for barrel and gas tube canting, because it's a problem with these. Also make sure the magazine fits right (see below). Between the canting and magazines I had to handle four of these rifles at the dealership before I found one that was satisfactory.

If you get a folding stock you'll pay more, also some dealers will charge more because they include extra magazines.

: What kind of paperwork does one have to fill out for a weapon like that? Is
: it semi-auto only?

YES, it is only semi-automatic, not a class III setup. I'm not sure where you are, but here in AZ it's the same as buying any other any rifle or shotgun. Just current address info, county of birth, etc., the 11 or so yes/no questions, and your John Hancock. SSN is optional. Note you would not be able to get a WASR in this configuration in certain states (CA, MD, MA) and municipalities (Chicago, I think).

The interesting thing about these are that they are manufactured in Romania and imported by Century Intl Arms in Vermont. WASR's used to be made for single-stack 10-rnd magazines but CAI dremels the receiver to allow the classic double-stack AK mags and drums to fit. They also replace six parts with American-made parts, thereby making it "U.S. manufactured" and exploiting the loophole that allows for them to be imported and sold. Since the magazine is one of these parts, to use a non-american-made mag in a WASR is technically a violation of federal Law unless you replace another specified part to compensate (have to have 6) like I did with the stock...

Now you *COULD* get a true Class III automatic AK, if you can afford one, the massive amounts of ammo to shoot through it, the licensing fees, transfer fees, and taxes...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Redemption ReturnsBob-B-Q 5/13/05 8:43 a.m.
     Re: Redemption ReturnsSteve Levinson 5/13/05 10:01 a.m.
           Re: Redemption ReturnsBob-B-Q 5/13/05 10:32 a.m.
                 Re: Redemption ReturnsAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/13/05 4:02 p.m.
                       Re: Redemption ReturnsNick Hoad 5/13/05 6:12 p.m.
     Re: Redemption ReturnsYossarian 5/13/05 6:32 p.m.
           Re: Redemption ReturnsBob-B-Q 5/14/05 3:48 a.m.
                 Re: Redemption ReturnsYossarian 5/14/05 6:12 p.m.
                       Re: Redemption ReturnsAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/14/05 7:16 p.m.
                       Re: Redemption ReturnsD-M.A. 5/14/05 11:57 p.m.
                             Re: Redemption ReturnsD-M.A. 5/15/05 5:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Redemption ReturnsYossarian 5/15/05 5:51 a.m.
                       Re: Redemption ReturnsBob-B-Q 5/15/05 4:20 a.m.
                             Re: Redemption ReturnsYossarian 5/15/05 5:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Redemption ReturnsBob-B-Q 5/15/05 8:52 a.m.
                                         Re: Redemption ReturnsAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/15/05 2:26 p.m.
                                         Re: Redemption ReturnsYossarian 5/15/05 7:16 p.m.
                                               Re: Redemption ReturnsBob-B-Q 5/16/05 4:45 a.m.
                                                     Re: Redemption ReturnsYossarian 5/16/05 8:06 a.m.
     Re: Redemption ReturnsSir Blastalot 7/9/05 6:19 a.m.
           Re: Redemption ReturnsRedmage13 7/12/05 7:08 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.