Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

More details
Posted By: Louis Wu <halo@bungie.org>Date: 5/18/03 6:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: And... (Zoidberg)

: Personnally im sad to see it go...but you got to do what you got to do.

: Also, if i were you i wouldnt give those responsible a second chance, they'll
: just do something as dumb and stupid again and then you'd have suffered
: another set back.

Most of the people involved had no clue they were doing something so stupid. I'm guessing that, had they realized the potential for harm, they'd have resisted the urge. I could be wrong.

: Perhaps a new system could be brought in, where the author of a post was able
: to rate the importance of a message using a star system where 1 = not
: important / Off Topic and 5 = V.Important / V. Interesting.

We actually talked about a system in which a few (not everyone, by any stretch, but a few) forum regulars could vote on a post - usually just in a positive manner. If you thought the post was outstanding, you could give it a star. Each of the folks in this group (we'd envisioned 7 people, though we hadn't picked WHICH seven) would have the chance to toss a star onto a post - so really outstanding posts would have 7 stars in front of them. The vast majority (>95%) wouldn't have any stars; you'd only give a star to a post you thought was really, really good... but the star system would give those looking for a way to read the most critical posts a chance to do so.

Something like this might get implemented at some point. Not any time soon, though - there are far more important things to do.

: Also can i ask technical question? How did the reloading thing that people
: were doing to reach whatever number it was on the counter actually crash
: the server?

WebBBS stores all posts as individual text files (rather than, say, as database records in ram). Every file load requires a disk access (several, actually). 11,500 or so reloads in a 1-hour period of a single file (while still trying to access OTHER parts of the disk) apparently overloaded the relatively low-grade IDE controller in the box that houses carnage. Moral of the story - buy better hardware. (Or ban the idiots. :) )

To answer other questions in this thread:

Profiles are case-insensitive - I could post as Louis Wu, or louis wu, or LoUiS wU, my password would work for all of them, they'd all register with the same profile. The Deadly Cookie in this thread is the same DC as we've seen before.

At least one admin wants him banned outright - likely because of his posts in this thread. I'm inclined to believe these posts were intended to be jokes. (Unfortunately, he has the intuition of a moss-covered rock when it comes to determining the appropriateness of humor...)

This forum will NEVER have a user-to-user email system. That's what your mail client is for. If it's too much trouble to switch from your browser to your mail client, you're using the wrong mail client.

WebBBS supports a 'next' link... but unfortunately, it's not thread-based. (Or at least it wasn't the last time I looked... which was around v3.2, now that I think about it.) It would send you to the next post, chronologically, which made no sense to me. (Hence my exclusion of it in the navbar.) If time permits, I'll look into putting it back... if it can easily be made to function intelligently.

There were probably other issues brought up here; I'm still a little groggy, so I might have missed stuff. This is a start, though. :)

Message Index

Replies:

(ADMIN) Forum changes Louis Wu 5/18/03 10:38 a.m.
     Re: Forum changesKonrad9 5/18/03 10:48 a.m.
     Sounds like somebody's been reading my stuff *NM*Jamirus99 5/18/03 10:52 a.m.
     This seems to have srewed up....Jamirus99 5/18/03 11:00 a.m.
           Re: This seems to have srewed up....Louis Wu 5/18/03 11:14 a.m.
                 And...Louis Wu 5/18/03 11:16 a.m.
                       Re: And...DeAdLy_cOoKiE 5/18/03 12:12 p.m.
                             Re: And...Count Zero 5/18/03 12:22 p.m.
                                   Re: And...Ross Mills 5/18/03 12:31 p.m.
                                         Re: And...Count Zero 5/18/03 12:49 p.m.
                                               Re: And...Ross Mills 5/18/03 12:56 p.m.
                                               Re: And...DeAdLy_cOoKiE 5/18/03 2:21 p.m.
                                         Re: And...Lion 5/18/03 1:10 p.m.
                                               Re: And...Louis Wu 5/18/03 1:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: And...DeAdLy_cOoKiE 5/18/03 2:18 p.m.
                                                           Re: And...opie301 5/18/03 2:22 p.m.
                                                           Why your response gravels my ass, Deadly Cookie.dogsounds [ subnova ] 5/18/03 3:55 p.m.
                                                                 Silly opiegoatrope 5/18/03 4:41 p.m.
                                                                       Argdogsounds [ subnova ] 5/18/03 5:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Silly opieShishka 5/18/03 5:16 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Silly opieRoss Mills 5/18/03 5:28 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Silly opiegoatrope 5/18/03 5:52 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Silly opiedogsounds [ subnova ] 5/18/03 6:05 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Silly opieCount Zero 5/18/03 6:10 p.m.
                                                                       Silly Goatrope!opie301 5/18/03 6:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Why your response gravels my ass, Deadly CookiDeAdLy_cOoKiE 5/18/03 5:44 p.m.
                                                     Re: And...Zoidberg 5/18/03 3:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: And...opie301 5/18/03 3:27 p.m.
                                                                 Re: And...Zoidberg 5/18/03 4:01 p.m.
                                                                       Re: And...Ross Mills 5/18/03 5:30 p.m.
                                                           More detailsLouis Wu 5/18/03 6:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: More detailsRoss Mills 5/18/03 7:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: More detailsdogsounds [ subnova ] 5/18/03 7:15 p.m.
                                               Re: And...Ross Mills 5/18/03 5:29 p.m.
                       Re: And...Jamirus99 5/18/03 2:47 p.m.
                             Yeah, I kick ass *NM*Postman [subnova] 5/19/03 1:23 p.m.
                 creating new s/nRichard-116 5/19/03 1:08 p.m.
     A thousand words...Ross Mills 5/18/03 11:45 a.m.
           You are not your Postcount!opie301 5/18/03 12:31 p.m.
           Re: A thousand words...Werk 5/18/03 3:26 p.m.
           HBO: There is only one rule *NM*smunchy 5/18/03 6:28 p.m.
     Re: Forum changesBOLL 5/18/03 12:33 p.m.
     Re: Forum changesc0ld vengeance 5/18/03 1:38 p.m.
     Re: Forum changesSniperMan27 5/18/03 7:16 p.m.
           Re: Forum changesLouis Wu 5/18/03 7:24 p.m.
           Re: Forum changesP_40E 5/18/03 7:29 p.m.
           Hey youMiguel Chavez 5/18/03 11:58 p.m.
     Re: Hey ShishkaWado SG 5/18/03 10:45 p.m.
           Re: Hey ShishkaLouis Wu 5/19/03 9:36 a.m.
                 Re: Hey ShishkaShishka 5/19/03 7:39 p.m.
                       Re: Hey ShishkaLouis Wu 5/20/03 3:59 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.