Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Syria: Land of Paradise *OT*
Posted By: emildluxDate: 1/16/03 10:16 p.m.

In Response To: Re: If I were President... *OT* (Red Loser)

President Assad of Syria is an Alawite Muslim while the majority of the population is Sunni. The latter regard the Alawites as heretics to Islam and the Muslim Brotherhood, Ikhwan, instituted activities against Assad and his Baath Party. The leadership of the Brotherhood consisted largely of Muslim clerics, the ulama, and its rank and file were mainly young Sunni bourgeois or urban poor.

The Brotherhood carried out a number of bomb attacks and assassinations against the government. Scores of Baath party workers were slain in their homes often together with their wives and children. On 26th June 1980, Ikhwan assassins attacked the "enemy of Allah", Assad himself. The next morning eight hundred Ikhwan in Palmyra prison were killed in their cells.

The Mukhabarrat, secret police of Assad rounded up those they considered were collaborating with the Brotherhood. A leading light, Shisakhi was found castrated, face burnt with acid and his eyes gouged out. Hundreds of Sunni were executed and even some Christians. Suspects were tortured to prepare lists of the Islamic underground. An apparatus to rip out fingernails was used and also the "Black Slave"-a hot metal skewer which burnt its way from the anus to the colon.

The ancient city of Hama was the Ikhwan stronghold and Assad was determined to clean it out. On 2nd February 1982, five hundred troops moved into the old Barudi district. The Ikhwan were waiting for them and cut them down with machine-gun fire. Exhilarated with their early success they called for a jihad against Assad. Every mosque in Hama blared forth the call from its minarets. The guerrilla war was over; it was time for everyone to openly support the Brotherhood and drive out the "infidels".

The Ikhwan held a sizeable part of the town and even had its own hospital and women fighters. Some Syrian army units defected to them.

Assad called in the heavy weapons; many of the old alleyways were too narrow for tanks and so whole districts were flattened by artillery rather than engage the Brotherhood in hand to hand fighting.

Thousands of innocent people were killed in this way. Many more perished during the "mopping up". Buildings were dynamited without concern for the occupants. After that whole areas were levelled by bulldozers.

The death toll is estimated at over 20,000. "Syria's murderous suppression of the Hama uprising had much in common with the behaviour of the Nazis in occupied Europe".

AND THAT WAS JUST IN 1982! IT'S MORE FUN NOW!

$1000 HALO: Running Riot Invitational 2 in PHX

Message Index

Replies:

If I were President... *OT*Red Loser 1/16/03 7:53 p.m.
     Re: If I were President... *OT*emildlux 1/16/03 8:24 p.m.
           Re: If I were President... *OT*h4l0m4n 1/16/03 8:55 p.m.
           Re: If I were President... *OT*Red Loser 1/16/03 8:57 p.m.
                 Syria: Land of Paradise *OT*emildlux 1/16/03 10:16 p.m.
                       Fair enough. *NM*Red Loser 1/17/03 12:41 p.m.
     Re: If I were President... *OT*Count Zero 1/16/03 9:10 p.m.
     Re: If I were President... *OT*Napoleon 1/16/03 11:22 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.