glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HALO Genesis•1 fan production info (longish)
Posted By: oldmano'theCDate: 8/15/02 6:08 p.m.

In Response To: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on line (oldmano'theC)

first off, to all who posted responses, sorry 'bout the delayed reply -- work intervened (haven't yet quit my day job :-\ )

first light on the project was about June 25th with a Threshold/Basis/HALO system model i built after an HBO Forum discussion with Roger Wilco et al about Lagrange points and the like. that model resulted in a wallpaper (available on HBO) that illustrated the core of the concept, but would actually follow the events of the movie in a strict chronology.

over the next few days i scratched out a few very rough storyboards (nothing like the final save for the basic theme), some character studies, and started work on concept models for the ship that week.

since this was an all "after-hours + weekends - family time & meals" kinda deal, i didn't start actually modeling scenes & rendering until July 4th. the final edit was done August 13. so it's been a bit shy of two months since the first conceptual glimmer and completion. all part-time, mind you.

i work on a Mac (G4 350MHz -- not a screamer by today's standards) doing the 3D work in an app called PiXELS 3D Studio, not a major name in the biz (yet) but a capable tool. NURBs-based meshes and a very good procedural shading system. i used versions 3.63 & 3.7 (the reason for the two versions is a LONG story and not germane).

after doing about three scenes and some trial editing (all of which was done in Quicktime 5 Pro) i began scoring the movie using Amadeus, a MIDI notation/composition app. once i had a basic music theme established, i began designing scenes to work in the tempo of the score. i took the opening scene, the "release & drop" scene, the landing, and the finale, edited a rough cut from them, then filled in the blanks, using the score as a timing reference. both the visuals and the music evolved quite a bit during this time.

Louis helped me nail the final release version, as i was having trouble getting the MIDI to work properly with a Sorenson3 compressed vid track. he suggested i export the MIDI to AIFF, which i did, each MIDI instrument as a separate track. a freeware app i found on the web called Pro Tools Free was used to boost the EQ spectrum of the otherwise rather insipid MIDI voices. not as good as sampling or a studio performance, but better than QT MIDI alone provides, imho.

the titling and credits were done with a combination of Photoshoppery, PiXELS animation, and QT editing/compositing, with some Illustrator thrown in to draw the original logo assembly sequence elements. i used the Halo font available on HBO (thanks to Will Turnbow for his work on that) to generate some title art as well.

thanks to all for looking in, and thanks for the kind comments.

Message Index

Replies:

HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineoldmano'theC 8/15/02 8:06 a.m.
     awesome! *NM*•Mimer 8/15/02 8:52 a.m.
           agreed!Uriel 8/15/02 10:11 a.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineWarbow 8/15/02 8:52 a.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineRazorback 8/15/02 10:02 a.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineStrato99l 8/15/02 11:05 a.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineThe Mad Bunny #CP#W 8/15/02 12:15 p.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on linen3m 8/15/02 1:20 p.m.
           Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineLouis Wu 8/15/02 1:59 p.m.
                 Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on linen3m 8/15/02 4:25 p.m.
                       Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineLouis Wu 8/15/02 5:06 p.m.
                             Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on linen3m 8/16/02 2:14 a.m.
                                   Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineoldmano'theC 8/16/02 9:33 a.m.
                                   Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineLouis Wu 8/16/02 9:45 a.m.
                                         Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on linen3m 8/16/02 12:02 p.m.
                                               Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineLouis Wu 8/16/02 12:19 p.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineRoger Wilco 8/15/02 5:55 p.m.
           Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineoldmano'theC 8/15/02 6:21 p.m.
                 Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineRoger Wilco 8/15/02 7:06 p.m.
     HALO Genesis•1 fan production info (longish)oldmano'theC 8/15/02 6:08 p.m.
     Re: HALO Genesis•1 fan movie on lineFrogBlast 8/16/02 9:46 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.