Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!
Posted By: KermitDate: 9/3/12 3:03 a.m.

odst

Space socks for the win, brosephus.

Co-op Night is Wednesday at 9 p.m. EST

Master Chief has gone across the universe and back, only to find Earth besieged by Covenant. He's left Cortana behind, and as the Dreadnought approaches the atmosphere, the last Spartan* is itching to finish the fight. To all you greenhorns who wanted to see Covenant up close (and on Earth for more than one mission), today is your lucky day.

*maybe

Welcome back, everyone. I'm writing you from Seattle, where PAX just kicked my ass. Last we saw each other, Eddie Buck was holding hands with some Cylon chick, and a floaty squid thing was lighting Johnson's cigar. After that interlude we're ready to go back and visit our dear friend John and finish his story once and for all. Um, until November 6th, when John wakes up after a bit of nap. What better way to get ourselves back into the green one's groove than to revisit his last adventure? Right. There is no better way. Let's do this, people.

This week's battle plan:

Arrival/Sierra 117

Legendary

Tough Luck, Thunderstorm, Tilt, and Mythic (fun skulls optional)

Free for all scoring on

If you haven't yet, be sure and send a friend request to Coop Night on XBL. This will help me organize teams.

This will be very much like Co-op Nights before, with a few key differences because of the nature of Halo 3. The biggest difference is we have no stats, so I'd like team leaders to do me a favor, and send me the following stats after each night:

• players who played
  • most kills
  • most assists
  • total assists of the team
I've revised the FAQ below accordingly, so PLEASE READ.

Co-op Night FAQ

Why co-op?

I suck at matchmaking, but like playing with other people--especially HBOers. We all love Halo--inhabiting the worlds that Bungie has created, relishing the story, and kicking alien butt. Co-op campaign gives us to chance to do this while also enjoying each other's company and maybe getthing to know each other better than we might when we're trying to shoot each other in the face.

What will we play?

A campaign level is planned every week. This is the last Bungie Halo game we'll play together, so let's enjoy it.

Why only one level?

There's no limit to what you can play. The battle plan is just a starting point. If you want to continue to play the next level, that's fine, but personally, I’m about savoring one level per night. Simply put, Co-op Night is about having a night where if you show up, it's assumed you are interested in co-op with HBOers, and you’re committed to playing through one level.

Why is scoring on?

I think it makes things more interesting.

What about stats?

Yeah, we won't have them unfortunately. I will ask team leaders to honestly give me certain stats (see my intro text above). I have my own nefarious purpose for this. :)

So there are no rules?

Not really, but the goal is to milk as much fun as possible out of each level, and for the most part, this means full path Halo, playing more as less as Bungie intended, saving the galaxy with style and leaving piles of dead Covie in our wake. This is not high speed Halo. Ideally, we'll play as true comrades in arms, communicating (mikes on--but not to chat with your buddy who's playing Minecraft), sticking together, and watching each other's back. On co-op night, assists count as much as kills.

When does it start?

9 p.m. Wednesday night. Yes, you will probably be done before 10, but think of that as a feature, not a bug.

Why Wednesday?

Wednesday just seemed like a good day--it breaks up the week for us adults who don't have a lot of time to play on week nights.

How will teams be formed?

Here's the step by step of how team formation on co-op night works.

1. Send a friend request to the gamertag Coop Night on XBL.

2. If you're online at the designated hour, I assume you have an interest in co-op and invite you to my party in Halo 3.

3. If and when we have a full room, we play a short game and the results will serve as our randomized team list. I'll assign team leaders, and otherwise we'll count off four starting from the top.

4. The party leaders leave to form their own Xbox Live party, inviting their assigned teammates (usually the two to three names under them in the last game results).

I hope to begin playing by 9:15.

What about films? screenshots? Recaps?

Sigh. This really does make me sad. I don't have the equipment to capture video, so we won't have the rich recaps we're used to, but we can adopt a Buddhist attitude for this run. We'll build a beautiful castle of fun each night, aware that time will soon wash it away. Sha la la la la la Live for Today! Maybe Wu's old enough to remember that song.

But what about my friends?

You have friends? Congratulations! Gathering a party to play co-op should be easy whenever you want. Quit your bellyaching, soldier! You've got a job to do. Co-op night isn't about playing with the same old people you always play with. It's about playing with the HBO community, and maybe forming new friendships and bonds forged in brightly colored blood.

November 6th will mark a milestone for Halo fans. Our hopes and dreams about the future will be displaced by the experience of actually playing a new and different Halo game. Exciting times! Until then, let's spend these next weeks with the Master Chief we've known--dancing with the one who brung us.

Kermit

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!Kermit 9/3/12 3:03 a.m.
     ThIs is going to be awesome! *NM*munky-058 9/3/12 4:31 a.m.
           Also, in order to rectify a situation...munky-058 9/3/12 5:58 a.m.
                 Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...General Vagueness 9/3/12 1:59 p.m.
                 Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...Albatross 9/5/12 4:36 p.m.
                       Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...General Vagueness 9/5/12 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...Bones 9/5/12 4:58 p.m.
                             Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...Albatross 9/5/12 6:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...General Vagueness 9/5/12 9:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...Kermit 9/5/12 11:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Also, in order to rectify a situation...Bones 9/5/12 11:41 p.m.
                       Better luck next time.Chewbaccawakka 9/5/12 5:37 p.m.
                             Re: Better luck next time.Delavan Tinkham 9/5/12 10:10 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!CortanaVII 9/3/12 8:56 a.m.
     Hell yeah!ZackDark 9/3/12 9:49 a.m.
           There is only oneJDQuackers 9/5/12 2:18 p.m.
                 Re: There is only oneZackDark 9/5/12 2:23 p.m.
                       Re: There is only oneJDQuackers 9/5/12 2:39 p.m.
                             Re: There is only one *OT already :P*ZackDark 9/5/12 2:43 p.m.
                                   Re: There is only one *OT already :P*JDQuackers 9/5/12 3:08 p.m.
                                         Re: There is only one *OT already :P*Dagoonite 9/5/12 4:14 p.m.
                                         Re: There is only one *OT already :P*ZackDark 9/5/12 6:42 p.m.
                       Re: There is only onebluerunner 9/5/12 4:22 p.m.
                             Re: There is only oneZackDark 9/5/12 5:43 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!Beckx 9/3/12 9:53 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!stabbim 9/3/12 11:05 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/3/12 11:14 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!Chewbaccawakka 9/3/12 11:24 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!Lawnmower172 9/3/12 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!Kermit 9/3/12 1:06 p.m.
                 Re: ditto!Lawnmower172 9/3/12 2:28 p.m.
     Can't wait to continue our march!Bones 9/3/12 1:19 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!General Vagueness 9/3/12 1:40 p.m.
     Oh Wow! *NM*padraig08 9/4/12 2:25 a.m.
     Re: I want to so bad...Dagoonite 9/5/12 1:34 a.m.
           Re: I want to so bad...Kermit 9/5/12 11:19 p.m.
                 +1 *NM*ZackDark 9/6/12 12:13 a.m.
     If there is space tonight...LostSpartan987 9/5/12 6:59 a.m.
           Ditto! *NM*CaneCutter 9/5/12 10:48 a.m.
                 Me three *NM*NartFOpc 9/5/12 4:35 p.m.
                       Re: Me four! *NM*uberfoop 9/5/12 6:48 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!stabbim 9/5/12 9:53 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3 Co-op Night ThIs Wednesday!General Vagueness 9/5/12 10:04 p.m.
     Our group's stats *imgs*NartFOpc 9/5/12 10:42 p.m.
           Re: Our group's stats *imgs*Chewbaccawakka 9/5/12 10:45 p.m.
                 Re: Our group's stats *imgs*bluerunner 9/5/12 10:58 p.m.
                       Re: Our group's stats *imgs*General Vagueness 9/6/12 12:20 a.m.
                             Re: Our group's stats *imgs*munky-058 9/6/12 1:40 a.m.
                                   Re: Our group's stats *imgs*General Vagueness 9/6/12 3:23 p.m.
           I'd like to point out...ZackDark 9/5/12 10:50 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.