Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Scratch that
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 11/8/11 9:31 a.m.

In Response To: Scratch that (Ibeechu)

: I just now noticed some darkening in the circle I drew, suggesting it was
: actually covering slightly more than the moon in some places. So this time
: I measured the moon from top to bottom (about 81 pixels), then made a
: circle 81 pixels in diameter whose center was the center of the moon
: (although, if the moon is distorted, that's not really it's center, but
: it's a sufficient approximation for now)

:

: So when comparing it to this new circle, it actually does look like the moon
: is distorted. The circle fits from top to bottom and in the upper right
: and lower left quadrants. But it doesn't cover the moon enough in the
: upper left and lower right quadrants. Even so, I still think it's pretty
: negligible, especially after rounding your distance value.

: Conclusion: ugh why did i spend half an hour doing that

Is that not the Epsilon Eridani star? It seems to shine too much for moon reflection.

Anyhoo, you spent some time with it. I did the same thing working this out in the first place. I wasn't going for hyper-realism as it's a game and not an actual picture. Plus the biggest assumption (the FOV) makes the whole thing meaningless if that assumption's wrong.

I was really just curious if there was enough info present to even get a reasonable figure. I was happy with what I got.

Even plugged the values into an online calculator and got the same answer so I was happy with the result.

Thanks for checking into this with me!

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

Just how far was that corvette from Sword Base?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/7/11 7:18 p.m.
     Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword Baseuberfoop 11/7/11 7:37 p.m.
           Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/7/11 8:17 p.m.
                 Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseIbeechu 11/8/11 9:04 a.m.
                       Scratch thatIbeechu 11/8/11 9:20 a.m.
                             Re: Scratch thatStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/8/11 9:31 a.m.
                                   Re: Scratch thatIbeechu 11/8/11 9:41 a.m.
                                         Re: Scratch thatStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/8/11 10:08 a.m.
                                               Re: Scratch thatSonofMacPhisto 11/8/11 10:37 a.m.
                       Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseGeneral Vagueness 11/13/11 3:39 p.m.
                             Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword Baseuberfoop 11/13/11 6:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseGeneral Vagueness 11/14/11 4:50 p.m.
                                         Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword Baseuberfoop 11/14/11 6:35 p.m.
                                               Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseGeneral Vagueness 11/15/11 5:54 p.m.
     Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Ibeechu 11/7/11 7:46 p.m.
           Enjoy your ban...GrimBrother One 11/7/11 7:48 p.m.
                 Re: Enjoy your ban...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/7/11 8:15 p.m.
                       Re: Enjoy your ban...kanbo 11/7/11 9:58 p.m.
           Re: Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/7/11 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Ibeechu 11/7/11 8:23 p.m.
                       Re: Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/7/11 8:29 p.m.
                       Re: Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/7/11 8:35 p.m.
                             Re: Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Ibeechu 11/7/11 8:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Your math tripped me up - is this an error?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/8/11 5:46 a.m.
     Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseCaneCutter 11/8/11 11:44 a.m.
           Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/8/11 12:42 p.m.
                 Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseCaneCutter 11/8/11 12:53 p.m.
                       Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/8/11 1:04 p.m.
                             Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseCaneCutter 11/8/11 1:23 p.m.
     Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseCaneCutter 11/8/11 1:17 p.m.
           Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/8/11 3:27 p.m.
                 Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword Basebluerunner 11/8/11 3:39 p.m.
                       Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseCaneCutter 11/8/11 5:04 p.m.
                             Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword Basebluerunner 11/8/11 7:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Just how far was that corvette from Sword BaseCaneCutter 11/8/11 7:30 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.