Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Higher rez here...
Posted By: IbeechuDate: 9/18/11 10:47 p.m.

In Response To: Higher rez here... (munky-058)

Polish or not, the animation didn't impress me. (Sorry this is like 4 days after you posted this; I JUST now saw that this cutscene had been released and went looking for the first mention of it to find more context).

I mean, I don't want to speak too soon because I'm sure it's not at the final level of polish. But purely from a technical animation standpoint, I can see a lot of interpenetration going on when the Chief picks up Jenkins' helmet, and there's a lot of stuttering in the beginning of the scene, almost like it was poorly mocapped. If I had to guess, I'd say the first half was mocap (with some hand-keyed details like when he rolls his fingers on the AR's forend) and the second half was hand-keyed. But neither are what I'd consider production quality. The Chief in the second half feels too fast and light for a 1-ton super-soldier, and there are some fundamental problems with the weight shifts and, again, the intersection of geometry. Regardless of what stage that particular shot is in in the animation pipeline, something like getting the weight and timing right is something that comes in at the very first stage of animating, so I'm less than optimistic that these problems are only there because of a lack of polish.

I know that I'm a huge pretentious snob when it comes to animation, and I know that in all practical situations, quality animation is, like, the last thing on the priority list for developing a video game. But it's still visual storytelling and communication, and storytelling is something intrinsically incredibly important to Halo. It's unrealistic to expect movie-quality animation in a video game because of how the video game production pipeline doesn't allow for a week to be spent polishing a 5-second shot. But I still think, especially in a cinematically-driven game like Halo, the animation should be held to a higher quality than current video game standards (which are, in effect, "make the character go there, then do this.")

Cliffs:
- To me, the animation lacks fundamentals
- Animation deserves to be more respected in video games, especially a cinematic game like Halo

Message Index

Replies:

Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsMoorpheusl9 9/14/11 10:50 a.m.
     The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERRevenant1988 9/14/11 11:02 a.m.
           Re: The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERGrimBrother One 9/14/11 11:18 a.m.
                 Re: The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERMoorpheusl9 9/14/11 11:21 a.m.
                       Re: The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERLord Friendship 9/14/11 11:29 a.m.
           Re: The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERArchilen 9/14/11 11:37 a.m.
                 Re: The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERAladelAngel 9/14/11 12:54 p.m.
           Re: The chief looks SO MUCH BETTERAmonkira 9/14/11 12:47 p.m.
           A wild MK V appeared. [Runaway]Joshua Allen 9/14/11 3:40 p.m.
     Re: Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsThe Alpha ELite 9/14/11 11:35 a.m.
           Re: Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsArchilen 9/14/11 11:41 a.m.
                 Re: Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsbluerunner 9/14/11 11:54 a.m.
                       Re: Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsArchilen 9/14/11 12:09 p.m.
           And man! Look at that codpiece! *NM*GrimBrother One 9/14/11 11:44 a.m.
                 And the five-divot gauntlet! *NM*bluerunner 9/14/11 11:55 a.m.
                       I take that back...bluerunner 9/14/11 12:03 p.m.
                 I try not to, generally. :P *NM*AngelicLionheart 9/14/11 5:01 p.m.
     D'aww, look at the grunts waiting to become fodder *NM*kornman00 9/14/11 11:49 a.m.
     Looks good!Leviathan 9/14/11 12:03 p.m.
           Re: Looks good!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/14/11 1:13 p.m.
     "Look! A Mark V!"Vandle Valsher 9/14/11 1:32 p.m.
     incase you still havent seen Chief in motionnillapuddin 9/14/11 3:34 p.m.
           I brought that up forever ago :/nillapuddin 9/14/11 4:36 p.m.
           Higher rez here...munky-058 9/14/11 6:48 p.m.
                 Re: Higher rez here...Ibeechu 9/18/11 10:47 p.m.
     Lookin' good! :D Can't wait for those cutscenes! *NM*AngelicLionheart 9/14/11 5:04 p.m.
     Re: Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsRagashingo 9/14/11 6:20 p.m.
     Re: Pillar of Autumn (HCE:A) screenshotsrobofin117 9/14/11 8:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.