glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.
Posted By: SonofMacPhisto <sethjewett@gmail.com>Date: 7/5/11 12:36 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis. (General Battuta)

: That's a fantastic point. Half-Life in general is very much against
: transhumanism; the villains are technologically augmented (the Sector 17
: Overwatch), and what the humans desire is a return to a state before the
: technological interlopers assumed hegemony. You even hear citizens looking
: forward to 'breeding', a very base, primal urge.

I'm glad you mentioned the breeding comments. Dr. Kleiner's speech at the beginning of Episode One is not only partly hilarious by touching on that subject, but very telling on what the series is trying to say.

For reference,

'Did Dr. Kleiner just tell us to get it on?'

Beyond that, I'd like to elaborate on my point regarding Freeman as cornered animal. In my head canon, Freeman experienced no passage of time between the end of HL1 and the beginning of HL2. When he woke on the train, I imagine his heart still beating furiously from the previous encounter with Nihilanth and Gman. Once again, he's thrown into a perilous situation where it's act or die. With episodes one and two, you get more of the same. It's this tension between the technological machinations of the Combine and Freeman's fight or flight instinct that partially makes Half Life so awesome.

Furthermore, he's probably the most non-Transhuman super-suit wearing protagonist ever, since his suit was probably never designed for heavy combat.

: I am so worried about Mass Effect. It has so much good SF material, but then
: we get dumb lines like - 'You're just a machine, and machines can be
: broken!' Surely Shep isn't dumb enough that she fails to recognize she's a
: machine as well?

I think Sovereign's response to that line makes up for it. Shepard really doesn't understand what he's dealing with at that point, so I could forgive him for getting macho. ;)

: I hope they do justice to the Reapers, to their intelligence and power. I'm
: not really sure what I think of the themes of the series as a whole yet -
: I think we need to see what ME3 does.

I'm feeling pretty hopeful based on the media I've seen so far. The visuals, sound, and dialogue seem to harken back to the fear Sovereign inspired in ME1.

Message Index

Replies:

Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis...General Battuta 7/3/11 9:49 p.m.
     aaaaaarghGeneral Battuta 7/3/11 9:50 p.m.
           Re: aaaaaarghHedgemony 7/3/11 11:47 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.ZackDark 7/3/11 10:18 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/3/11 10:25 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.davidfuchs 7/4/11 11:37 a.m.
                       "That's not what I meant to say!"Leisandir 7/4/11 1:34 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/4/11 11:36 p.m.
     Where my pretentiousness becomes unbearableDagoonite 7/4/11 1:52 a.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/4/11 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/4/11 11:39 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 12:36 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Bry 7/5/11 12:51 p.m.
                             Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 1:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Quirel 7/6/11 12:37 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Bry 7/5/11 6:47 a.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 12:18 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.yakaman 7/4/11 11:17 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Evador 7/5/11 11:17 a.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.yakaman 7/6/11 12:17 a.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Evador 7/6/11 12:39 p.m.
     Interesting *Deus Ex 1 spoilers*Moorpheusl9 7/4/11 12:43 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Ynation913 7/4/11 6:04 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Leisandir 7/4/11 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Ynation913 7/4/11 8:19 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.uberfoop 7/4/11 9:06 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Vagueness 7/5/11 4:59 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/5/11 5:13 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/5/11 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/5/11 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/5/11 10:48 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/6/11 2:50 p.m.
                             Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/7/11 2:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 10/7/11 11:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.