Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: "We Love Leviathan" petition/survey
Posted By: Hawaiian PigDate: 2/20/11 12:44 a.m.

In Response To: "We Love Leviathan" petition/survey (Arithmomaniac)

Just gonna cross-post what I put up on the petition here in case you guys need to wrap your head around why Levi owns:

Why he's awesome

I'm not gonna reinvent the wheel here and just toss out blind positivity.

No, I want to make something very clear:

While I'm often very critical of all things Halo, there's a certain vibe--an overwhelming "feeling of awesome"--I get when official Halo content that rubs me the right way.

Levi's artwork and comics marks the VERY FIRST TIME I've had that feeling outside of official content. His attention to detail is superb.

Favourite pieces

http://files.bungie.org/leviathan_afoa/jun_12.jpg

I could post just about every bit of Halo fan art he's done, but I won't. Levi's Fistful of Arrows comic goes beyond just looking amazing, it looks at the Halo universe from an angle that emphasizes one of its most popular, yet underused aspects.

Maybe video games lack the ability to juxtapose the grand scale of a war with entwined character driven stories, but Levi's comic fills the deep void where Halo: Reach left me wanting.

I get a sense of urgency and tension when reading this. In this frame, a cruiser is going down and plots a head-on collision course with a Covenant carrier...

...and I feel it.

I feel that there's no other option, I feel that it's an insurmountable obstacle for the rest of the forces, and I feel that this is the only way.

In contrast, I look at Carter's death in Reach, and I felt it was all too convenient.

In an abrupt turn, there's a Scarab which, while they previously hadn't posed a threat to the player before, is suddenly an insurmountable obstacle. Why does it appear? Why does it have to be an insurmountable obstacle for the player? Well, because the narrative calls for it. But, why does it do this? There's no doubt about this one. It calls for it for the sole purpose of allowing Carter an "out."

The game needed him to die, and as he was just floating around in a pelican, here was a way he could go out "valiantly." But it's so abrupt, so poorly executed, that it comes across in a rather trite and forced manner. As a player, I knew immediately that this was an excuse to "kill him off." It's sloppy writing and it jerked me right out of the moment.

In complete contrast, here is a very similar situation occurring in Levi's comic. The "action" is the same. There's an insurmountable obstacle and martyrdom appears to be the only way out.

But it works.

Why is that? The narrative calls for it as well, but what is the purpose? Well, it's not to dispose of a main character in a quick and cheap attempt to make the reader care. No, it occurs for the sole purpose of developing an atmosphere. It's painting a background... it's showing me the desperation of the human forces... it's showing just a glimpse into what feels like one of many acts of heroism occurring during this war.

I feel it. This atmosphere, this mood... this feeling.

Reach fumbled the ball with a very similar bit of action. The difference? Here it's employed for a different reason, and it's executed superbly. It happens in a way that feels a lot more natural. It's thematic and occurs in the background of a bigger story; it's but a glimpse of dreadful war occurring around the characters... it serves the narrative in a good way.

It's this... "feeling" that is one of the most undersung aspects of the Halo universe.

Sure the newer games have great graphics and play well... but as far as the narrative has progressed, it can be touch and go when it comes to properly developing an atmosphere. The best moments in the Halo universe make you feel "immersed" in it. Every sweeping vista in Halo CE, bearing witness to the expansive destruction caused by the flood and the 100,000 years war in Halo 2, happening upon the Ark in Halo 3, wandering around the empty streets in ODST, and flying above New Alexandria as Reach burns in Halo: Reach are among the most memorable moments of the Halo series. Why? They're the most atmospheric.

Levi exudes a clear grasp on this idea in everything he does. He has the ability to give me that "vibe" I get when great Halo content hits the mark. His artwork alone, in its composition, pacing, and focus, speaks volumes with respect to developing an enjoyable Halo experience.

He has the intangibles.

These nebulous terms... "atmosphere," "mood," "vibe"... they're hard to pin down. But, well, this guy freakin' nails it.

And based on the overwhelmingly positive response he's received in the community by his work, I'd say he nails it hard.

Message Index

Replies:

"We Love Leviathan" petition/surveyArithmomaniac 2/19/11 10:14 p.m.
     Re: "We Love Leviathan" petition/surveySonofMacPhisto 2/19/11 10:28 p.m.
           Re: "We Love Leviathan" petition/surveyArithmomaniac 2/19/11 10:37 p.m.
                 Re: "We Love Leviathan" petition/surveySonofMacPhisto 2/19/11 11:03 p.m.
           Re: "We Love Leviathan" petition/surveyDecommissioner 2/19/11 10:37 p.m.
                 The thread! It's alive!Arithmomaniac 2/23/11 9:16 p.m.
                       Re: The thread! It's alive!Leviathan 2/23/11 11:33 p.m.
     Survey filled, good sir. *NM*ZackDark 2/19/11 10:44 p.m.
           Re: Survey filled, good sir.Arithmomaniac 2/19/11 10:49 p.m.
                 Re: Survey filled, good sir.ZackDark 2/19/11 11:08 p.m.
     Nice things have been said!padraig08 2/19/11 10:50 p.m.
           Re: Nice things have been said!Arithmomaniac 2/19/11 10:52 p.m.
     I, for one, suggest this be front-paged. *NM*ZackDark 2/19/11 11:09 p.m.
           Re: I, for one, suggest this be front-paged.Arithmomaniac 2/19/11 11:13 p.m.
                 Re: I, for one, suggest this be front-paged.ZackDark 2/19/11 11:22 p.m.
                       Re: I, for one, suggest this be front-paged.SonofMacPhisto 2/19/11 11:50 p.m.
                 And we need 77 people to sign...Arithmomaniac 2/20/11 8:39 a.m.
     FOA Cover!Arithmomaniac 2/19/11 11:16 p.m.
           Dear Godpadraig08 2/19/11 11:45 p.m.
                 Re: Dear GodCaptainTony 2/20/11 12:11 a.m.
           That's not 100% done... about 98%...Leviathan 2/20/11 2:05 a.m.
     Re: "We Love Leviathan" petition/surveyHawaiian Pig 2/20/11 12:44 a.m.
           err... it looks like i broke the results pageHawaiian Pig 2/20/11 12:48 a.m.
                 Re: err... it looks like i broke the results pageArithmomaniac 2/20/11 8:37 a.m.
     All joking aside, 2 things that make Arrows greatFlynn J Taggart 2/20/11 1:57 a.m.
     Great Jehosphat!Leviathan 2/20/11 2:01 a.m.
     Wow. I feel stupid.TDSpiral 2/20/11 2:14 a.m.
           Re: Wow. I feel stupid.Leviathan 2/20/11 2:27 a.m.
                 Re: Wow. I feel stupid.Moorpheusl9 2/20/11 9:03 a.m.
                       The Ecstasy of Forerunner Artifacts *NM*BlueNinja 2/20/11 10:08 a.m.
                             Re: The Ecstasy of Forerunner Artifactspadraig08 2/20/11 12:31 p.m.
                                   Oh really? *IMG*BlueNinja 2/20/11 2:47 p.m.
                                         Re: Oh really? *IMG*Moorpheusl9 2/20/11 2:54 p.m.
                                         :)padraig08 2/20/11 3:24 p.m.
                                               Re: :)BlueNinja 2/20/11 3:44 p.m.
                                                     At least you were consistent! *NM*Moorpheusl9 2/20/11 3:53 p.m.
                                                           Re: At least you were consistent!BlueNinja 2/20/11 4:34 p.m.
                 Or how about "The Never Ending Fistful"....Chris101b 2/20/11 5:43 p.m.
                       Re: Or how about "The Never Ending Fistful"....General Vagueness 2/21/11 1:30 p.m.
           Re: Wow. I feel stupid.Arithmomaniac 2/20/11 8:36 a.m.
                 Thanks! :D *NM*TDSpiral 2/20/11 1:30 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.