Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Sentencing from Halo 3 murder trial
Posted By: DrDoctorDate: 1/15/09 9:35 p.m.

In Response To: Sentencing from Halo 3 murder trial (RotaJota)

This Judge seems to have used backwards logic or none at all.

If you look at the situation plainly he was told that he could not own the game. I presume that the marketing blitz along with probably playing it at a friends house led to his desire for the game. He went out and bought it anyway and it was taken from him the very same day. The kid either did or did not have delusions that did not come from the game. Normal people have simulated unreal situations for years. Kids weren't killing parents only to have "cowboys and indians" be blamed. At least that's not my understanding. Also, it isn't likely that this kid had any sort of prolonged exposure to any other violent games either, as it seemed to be the rule of the house.

If the Judge really thinks that the game is MORE responsible than the high school age kid who pulled the trigger then the boy should be treated as a mental case. Also, the only reason he feels he HAD to rule the way he did was because not blaming the boy would be irresponsible, immoral, and ludacris. If anyone can please tell me how the pieces of this insane Judges logic fit together and why he should be behind the bench I would really appreciate it.

Words like this man's are a terrible way to think about video games. His idea's on how they effect the mind are foggy at best. Scapegoating something simply because you don't understand it is irresponsible and foolish. I wish that people would realize that we keep repeating the same stuff over and over again. Books, Music, Movies, Comics, and Television have all gone through this same sort of criticism and it won't stop for some reason. I take comfort in knowing that interactive media will one day be understood and accepted just as the rest of these mediums have.

Lastly. What happened is tragic and I just want to make it clear that though I may speak from a very heated point of view I do have sympathy for the family, friends, and even the kid. I know he'll regret his actions until his last breath. Unfortunately it wasn't the games fault that he didn't think about the consequences of his actions. People have made that mistake since the beginning of time. I suppose they will most likely continue. I sincerely hope that this kid gets a chance to become someone so much better than who he was that day.

Message Index

Replies:

Sentencing from Halo 3 murder trialRotaJota 1/15/09 10:13 a.m.
     Re: Sentencing from Halo 3 murder trial *OT*Mercury 1/15/09 11:36 a.m.
     Question for NarcogenCody Miller 1/15/09 3:14 p.m.
           Re: Question for NarcogenNarcogen 1/16/09 2:21 a.m.
                 Re: Question for NarcogenMercury 1/16/09 11:44 a.m.
     Re: Sentencing from Halo 3 murder trialDrDoctor 1/15/09 9:35 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.