Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: reply as edit, less *OT*
Posted By: scarabDate: 4/4/08 2:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: reply as edit, less *OT* (Ducain)

: I like the part where he says that cooperative multiplayer is what he prefers
: - that it's more fun (grossy paraphrasing here).

: Roger that.

He's also thinking of community envolvement and custom maps...

Map-storing; is that stored in a similar way? In order to play a certain map does the host have to have the map?

MH: The map-sharing’s actually a really interesting model. It’s map-sharing lite in a way. Internally, we call it viral sharing. It just sort of happens. The way it works is that you make a custom map, the host loads any custom map that he has on his ‘box, and in just the act of loading that map in the lobby, the map gets blasted out to every single player in the lobby, and they now have it automatically saved in a Recent Maps list without even having to do anything.

And now they can go into that list and permanently save it into the My Custom Maps list, so it’s really, really easy. We’re putting in a mechanism for when you’re in the lobby to hand-off to someone else so they can load their map. You don’t have to play the map to have the map in your list – it’s actually a really cool system.

Could that work for Bungie too? Could you share custom games/maps in the Halo lobby? "We play this all the time, try it out." (Excuse me if this already happens, multiplayer is an alien planet for me.)

The thing that I found most encouraging was that he may be able to evangelize Bungie style matchmaking better than Bungie because he is collaborating with other companies on cross-platform games. (I'm thinking of the Valve game that will be on 360 and PC)

He's also making a pirate game so he is doing things that Bungie has just talked about. <-- ooo contentious! ;-)

I think I will buy those games when they come out.

Message Index

Replies:

Interesting Hoberman interview *OT*scarab 4/4/08 3:56 a.m.
     reply as edit, less *OT*scarab 4/4/08 4:04 a.m.
           Re: reply as edit, less *OT*Ducain 4/4/08 9:02 a.m.
                 Re: reply as edit, less *OT*scarab 4/4/08 2:07 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.