Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

The second show
Posted By: wolfman <mengley@hotmail.com>Date: 8/22/07 10:12 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Wow.... EPIC WIN! (lukems)

: Hopefully someone goes into depth on the second playthrough. Frankie and I
: played a bit more Campaign, including an encounter we've talked about at
: length on Tsavo Highway that we call "the Garage."

If "the Garage" is the encounter right at the end of the second playthrough, that was intense. I was probably too awed to remember it all, but Luke and Frankie pull up to a broad spot in the valley floor. All kinds of wreckage and detritus are littered around and there are marines holed up in a bunker on the left (the garage, presumably). Carnage ensues as F&L fight off the brutes and grunts that are giving hell to the marines.

As a phantom moves in, Luke breaks off to the right and Frankie mounts up behind a turret in the garage and starts trying to take out the phantom's gun. He takes heavy fire and picks up the turret to move to cover, still trying for the phantom -- it seemed clear that he was trying to do enough damage to take the phantom down, but before he could Brutes started peppering him with fire and he had to change his targets.

He and Luke seemed to work together, often setting their sights on the same jet-pack brute to take it down, but the brutes would deploy half-moon shields or bubble shields if they were taking heavy fire. At one point Luke drops a bubble so they can catch a break, while Frankie peeks out and tosses two grenades through a broken culvert at a pair of brutes. The second blast takes them out, with an audible scream from one of them.

As the brutes get picked off, a voice comes over the radio warning of an inbound wraith. Frankie pops over the hill and lays into it, ultimately clearing the way for two pelicans to come in and drop hogs, which Frankie and Luke proceed to destroy in foolish glee, meleeing and tea-bagging to end the demo. Awesome.

Other highlights from campaign -- the flare is very cool; the big-ass plasma turret support weapon is awesome; the chopper looks just badass. In all, I can feel the expansive level design already, and this wasn't even one of the biggest.

Forge -- sweet jeebus. This is going to be really fun. The budget system seems good, though I think people will max out quickly if they put a lot of big-ticket items in -- you won't be putting 6 scorpions on High Ground, for example, I think. Not sure if the budget increases for larger maps.

The flamethrower was gorgeous, in first person -- flame stuck to everything, including Luke's Monitor, delivering persistent damage which killed him after a few seconds (the Monitors seem quite a bit weaker than 343 :)).

Gravity hammer looks great as well. Frankie pounded a pile of fusion cores with a big downward swing, blowing them all over the map. He didn't take much/any damage from that, either. Didn't see the alternate swing.

Saved films are going to be a machinima junkie's wet dream. So versatile, so amazing. This just sounds like fanboy drivel, but it's hard to describe. Suffice to say that everything Frankie and Luke have said about it in podcasts with their guests seems to be totally true.

Really shaping up to be a worthy finish to the series. Thanks for the show, Bungie-folk.

Message Index

Replies:

Back From IMAXCougRon 8/22/07 1:59 a.m.
     Re: Back From IMAXCompton 8/22/07 2:00 a.m.
           Win in its purest fromLX925 8/22/07 2:07 a.m.
                 Re: Win in its purest fromCompton 8/22/07 2:16 a.m.
                 Re: Win in its purest fromHunt3r 8/22/07 2:17 a.m.
                 Answer thisDarkSim 8/22/07 2:18 a.m.
                       I was there too!Marty the Elder 8/22/07 2:22 a.m.
                             Marty!gunluva 8/22/07 2:24 a.m.
                             Re: I was there too!Compton 8/22/07 2:25 a.m.
                             Details plzHunt3r 8/22/07 2:26 a.m.
                                   Re: Details plzLX925 8/22/07 2:38 a.m.
                                         thanks a million! *NM*Hunt3r 8/22/07 2:43 a.m.
                             Re: I was there too!sorahn 8/22/07 3:11 a.m.
                             Re: I was there too!*THASF* A.K.A. The Halo And Sonic Fan 8/22/07 3:56 a.m.
                       Re: Answer thisLX925 8/22/07 2:25 a.m.
                             Re: Answer thisAshofPompei 8/22/07 2:34 a.m.
                                   How could I forget the underwater sound?LX925 8/22/07 2:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Answer thisDragonclaws 8/22/07 2:41 a.m.
           What I saw *Long*CougRon 8/22/07 2:59 a.m.
                 Wow.... EPIC WIN!Avateur 8/22/07 3:09 a.m.
                       Re: Wow.... EPIC WIN!lukems 8/22/07 3:17 a.m.
                             Re: Wow.... EPIC WIN!Ibeechu 8/22/07 3:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Wow.... EPIC WIN!agdtinman 8/22/07 3:25 a.m.
                                         Tell me :0 *NM*Izzinatah 8/22/07 3:30 a.m.
                                         Re: Wow.... EPIC WIN!Speedhuntr 8/22/07 3:31 a.m.
                                         now i really want to know what this *new thing* is *NM*Hunt3r 8/22/07 3:57 a.m.
                                         which new thing ;) *NM*sorahn 8/22/07 4:00 a.m.
                             The second showwolfman 8/22/07 10:12 a.m.
     Some Other InfoDragonclaws 8/22/07 3:24 a.m.
           Second showingaklay47 8/22/07 4:10 a.m.
                 Re: Second showingX1Zero 8/22/07 4:27 a.m.
                       Re: Second showingIzzinatah 8/22/07 4:30 a.m.
                             Re: Second showingX1Zero 8/22/07 4:33 a.m.
                             16 players = Bungie's third optionSinisterSamurai 8/22/07 12:49 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.