Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Why We Mod... hmmm...
Posted By: RVideo <racer4770@aim.com>Date: 4/23/07 5:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Why We Mod... hmmm... (vshields ash)

: i don't think u realize how many people have been screwed stupid by modderz.
: did u really expect to get rid of all that hate, with a cute vid? Quake is
: my specialty, and it's not relevant here.

: it's nice to make candy cane walls, love em, and it's great to make carz go
: and i did like the surfer dude. as a matter of fact, some of it is
: definately nice...but...

: git used to it dude- most folks think modderz suk. now if ya wanna change
: some minds, help us get rid of the online haxorz ;)
: ash

: ( i realize you like what u do, and i don't wanna seem like all modderz are
: bad, prolly far from it...but personally, i've had more mod games than
: straight onez!;)

It wont be too much longer before Halo2 enters it's post-twilight phase, and any hobby modding will be relegated to, you know, the same level that antique radio restoration hobbyists enjoy (when everyone will be playing H3 on XBL)

The good news is that, unlike Halo1 or 2, Halo3 will almost undoubtedly be not only cost-prohibitive to modify ANY content, it will be near impossible.

You see, it is apparent that at the time of Halo2's development, the projected degree and ubiquity of modding and cheating was underestimated at the time (so it would seem in retrospect). Although there were some security checks in place (example: map signatures), these were hacked in just a few months.

Once all the 'media checks' and basic file sig checks are passed (or ignored), it's pretty much a free for all with Halo2's engine. Remember, it's not their fault: They perhaps dedicated so much of their in-house resource into the game experience itself that anti-hack measures were in the proverbial R+D 'backseat'.

Juxtaposed to this 'perform checks-on-loadup' methodology in Halo2, Halo3 will most likely have sustained security monitoring (throughout gameplay, constant or near constant, always checking!) that I believe will thankfully put Deh Kebosh on XBL modding once and for all. I suspect that even the most talented assembly programmers will never get any substantial hax very far past compile (read: that wont brick or ban your 360). Hell, here we are, 17 months into the 360 market (whats that..6 quarters plus?) and who do you personally even know has basic Linux runnable on a 360? For one, I know not of a single person. **Remember, only one year after the original Xbox came out, Linux kernels were successfully ported, there were (and are) Xbox ported emulators for almost every console ever made, scientists and researchers were (and are) tinkering with cheap Xboxes in actual labs for various cost-efficient solutions..Well, you get the idea. Are we seeing the same amount of hackage (good and bad) with the 360? pffft. Thats a big nope.

In all likelyhood, in the future, it will go something like this: Anyone who enjoys 'hobby modding' (read: cosmetic/vehicle/weapons mods that never touch XBL) will use a 360 that will never see the light of XBL. In other words, you will probably see a few level mods, but they will be considerably rare, at least until you can buy a used 360 on Ebay for $100 (and when will that ever be? 2010?)

As a final note, I have no great love for Halomods, although it's a decent resource library.
Excepting a *very* few good members (ScottyGee,Iron_Forge,Xbox7887 and of course Dojorkan), overall most of them are a little too 'Lord Of The Flies'ish for my taste, quick to 'n00b-hammer' most newcomers who, you know, arent as 1337 (lolz) as, heh, they are.

So in summation, take heart, Mr Ash, better days, they are a comin'. :)

Message Index

Replies:

Why We Mod.Dojorkan 4/21/07 9:27 p.m.
     Good stuff.Spartan Jag 4/21/07 9:41 p.m.
           Re: Good stuff.Dojorkan 4/21/07 10:10 p.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.Psychophan7 4/21/07 10:17 p.m.
           Re: Why We Mod.Simpsons Rule 4/22/07 4:09 a.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.Captain Spark 4/21/07 10:51 p.m.
     EXCELLENTCoffin Joe 4/22/07 12:09 a.m.
           Re: EXCELLENTDojorkan 4/22/07 12:37 a.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.trigger119 4/22/07 12:59 a.m.
           Re: Why We Mod.TelTura 4/22/07 1:01 a.m.
                 Re: Why We Mod.Dojorkan 4/22/07 10:23 a.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.TelTura 4/22/07 12:59 a.m.
           Re: Why We Mod.Wraith7n 4/22/07 8:03 a.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.Ross Mills [subnova] 4/22/07 6:14 a.m.
           AgreedSpenser 4/22/07 9:07 a.m.
                 Re: AgreedAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/22/07 11:47 a.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.The More Deluded 4/22/07 9:38 a.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.Spartan-F419 4/22/07 4:09 p.m.
           Re: Why We Mod.Simpsons Rule 4/22/07 4:29 p.m.
           woooooooooow. *NM* *NM*Dojorkan 4/22/07 4:39 p.m.
           ......Peptuck 4/22/07 9:24 p.m.
           Re: Why We Mod.ExileLord 4/23/07 12:04 a.m.
                 Re: Why We Mod... hmmm...vshields ash 4/23/07 4:02 a.m.
                       Re: Why We Mod... hmmm...RVideo 4/23/07 5:02 a.m.
                             Re: Why We Mod... hmmm...cool :)vshields ash 4/23/07 3:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Why We Mod... hmmm...cool :)Dojorkan 4/23/07 3:59 p.m.
                 Re: Why We Mod.Narcogen 4/23/07 8:03 a.m.
                       Re: Why We Mod.Wayward Spleen™ 4/23/07 8:08 a.m.
     Re: Why We Suk...vshields ash 4/22/07 10:42 p.m.
           I sense deep rooted resentment...Wraith7n 4/23/07 6:55 a.m.
           Re: Why We Suk...TelTura 4/23/07 8:23 p.m.
                 Re: Why We Suk...Quantum 4/23/07 9:34 p.m.
     Re: Why We Mod.DangerousHippo 4/23/07 8:28 a.m.
           Lightsabers don't kill people... Jedi kill people. *NM*Wraith7n 4/23/07 9:24 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.