Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: ...it starts... :)
Posted By: Gravemind <kuukan_no_kage@yahoo.com>Date: 4/19/07 3:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: ...it starts... :) (Morpheus)

Pushing a game to its limits and discovering glitches, which all games ship with, has its pros and cons. While it's fun for many and can be used for tricking when in a custom game, it has negative impacts on gameplay if certain glitches adversely affect things, esp. if on a regular basis. When superjumps and button combos were discovered in Halo 2, it wasn't long before people starting exploiting these glitches in Matchmaking, which is not only against the rules, but also drags an otherwise good game down. However, the discovery of these glitches has the obvious benefit of showing the developers where they went wrong and how they can fix things in the future, either via a patch of a current game or, if that's not possible, modifying things for a sequel. CA tried to eliminate superjumping from the new maps by adding instakill zones. Of course, even this countermeasure wasn't foolproof. While I can't watch videos on this POS hand-me-down computer, I understand that while people have found out how to get out of bounds on Tombstone without dying, it is rather tedious to do so, so CA's countermeasures, while not perfect, are more than adequate.

Bungie's obviously learned quite a bit from Halo 2 in regards to glitches. Halo 3's physics engine is most likely different (I'm guessing a newer, improved version of Havok), which might not allow for superbounces. Also, the public beta should offer valuable feedback to help iron out any major game-affecting glitches that may be discovered during its 3-week run. For example, I'm going to start off testing to see if weapon animation exploits that enable button combos like Halo 2's BXR are in the beta, and if so, report on them. Also, Bungie said they were hard-coding less into the game, which I'm guessing allows them to better tackle any glitches that make it into the production version of the game. All of these things put together should make glitches less of a problem in Halo 3.

Well, I hope I phrased everything right. I'm going to bed.

Message Index

Replies:

...it starts... :)Ducain 4/18/07 6:32 a.m.
     Re: ...it starts... :)Andrew J. 4/18/07 6:44 a.m.
           Re: ...it starts... :)Sep7imus [subnova] 4/18/07 7:26 a.m.
                 Re: ...it starts... :)...cool :)vshields ash 4/18/07 8:20 a.m.
     Invisible wall on the floor in TombStone. Odd!Dry Ice 4/18/07 8:28 a.m.
           Crazy thing that happened to meAfroRyan 4/18/07 6:19 p.m.
     Re: ...it starts... :)Morpheus 4/18/07 6:03 p.m.
           Re: ...it starts... :)Gravemind 4/19/07 3:02 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.