Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

On a dark and Deadly Night
Posted By: JillybeanDate: 1/1/07 9:19 a.m.

Deadly Night.
Where Uncle Miggy will take care of you.

For me, Deadly Night started on the 27th very early in the morning as I climbed aboard a BA airbus (worryingly enough, sitting next to the pilot. I’m sure they had a couple of pilots up in the cockpit but it was still discomforting). After calling Mum once more before Heathrow (I swear, these older men from the internet are NOT going to murder me and bury me in some backyard in Connecticut hours away from civilisation for the dogs to dig up) I boarded my jumbo and headed for New York.

At the airport, was met by Mig, complete with sign, and was treated to a flying tour of New York before meeting the family, picking up Dean and Count Zero and then setting off to HBO Central. I fell asleep at Times Square and didn’t wake up until the guys poured out of the car and I was confronted with the child lock. Sleepy Jilly didn’t quite understand that and struggled to escape the car. When I finally did manage it I was attacked by two wild dogs . . .

The evening of the 27th and early morning of 28th I spent wandering around HBO, staring at all these people that I knew – or at least, I knew how they typed – and watched as a few games of Halo were thrashed out. Schooly and Rets’ game was an instant hit, and one of the first times I’ve ever seen Halo played, live, by really good players. Time for an admission: I am not a good player. I’m actually fairly crap. My little sister, notably absent from the proceedings, probably stands a fair chance against most players, but I don’t. So watching these two players really go at it, listening to them ranting and raving as they got things wrong (I was watching Schooly’s screen) it was very cool.

At the same time Mig and a few others were cycling through Gears of War. Those rocks were in HD! Some gorgeous rocks there. Like really, really pretty rocks. At this point, it was about 3AM and back in my own timezone I was waking up again. I decided to take advantage of the last vestiges of sleep and crashed.

Thursday 28th. Padding downstairs at sometime past 8 in the morning in my HBO active cammo t-shirt, I found that most of the guys were up and about, but looking a little bit bleary eyed. Gears of War was already pumping away in the corner. I don’t know why that game was being played so much because all we did was slag it. “Wait, wait, can you hear me now? If I walk really slow, can I get signal?” Blackstar revealed his impressive pr0n Top Gear collection and I nominated the Bugatti Veyron chase episode. I don’t know how many of the guys had seen TG before but the Veyron will capture anyone. So we had a bit of a moment together as we watched it, which was cool. After breakfast, and US bacon tastes strange, we fired up Halo 2 and I lost my LAN virginity as Jinx took great pleasure in pointing out to me.

I died, incidentally. Lots.

Playing Halo with a lot of people is a strange experience. I’m one of these people who will doddle through campaign on normal or heroic and enjoy the scenery and the dialogue. And I knew that all of the people who came to my house to play a wee four people game couldn’t be extraordinarily talented – but having so many people on one map is just crazy. It’s so much fun. Of course this is all old news to you guys, but I really enjoyed it. Sometimes tactics would fall into place – sometimes they wouldn’t. It was great fun.

Afterwards I gave up my slot for someone who could make slightly better use of it and, feeling a little cooped up, headed outside with Schooly and Dizzy to play a little rugby. We were eventually joined by Jinx, Dean, Hellmitre and Mintz. Mintz proceeded to attempt to neuter himself by trying to catch the rugby ball between his legs. I may be a bit girly, but even I know that thing’s bloody sore if it hits you.

We set up a little tournament – play as little or as often as you liked, with random prizes. That was great fun, then some FAE Extreme happened which I perhaps wisely stayed out of. Instead I watched and laughed. The very lovely DonWan tried to give me some pointers during the night but I think her impressive talents were wasted on me. The prizes were great – Mintz is one lucky sob. I managed to leave mine (someone else will win it one day I’m sure, and it can be a legacy) but I was totally charmed by the t-shirt Claude sent for. ‘Hold X to Pick Up’. I love it to bits!

The night began to wind down a little, Jinx and Fuhrman went home, and after a little bit of begging, we managed to get a Halo 1 game going. These were the most fun games because we weren’t taking anything seriously. Rockets only, 16 players, tiny maps – it was just great fun. Hellmitre was the next fool to try and gently coax me into some semblance of skill. Ma1agate sensed it was useless because he kept bringing me beer. Lovely chap.

Rets had the midnight munchies or something and decided we were parading off to get ice-cream. So, Rets, Schooly, Hellmitre and I ventured into the very cold night to the local shops, braving Rets’ driving (and we all know how well that turns out) to get to the shops. We bought four tubs of ice cream and got a really dirty look when we asked for cigarettes from the charming, helpful lady at the till. She evidently thought I was speaking in tongues.

Got back (some bastard had poured away the beer I’d been carefully nursing). Met Frankie, handed over squashed jaffa cakes, was given a great SG-1 patch from Konrad as payment for the Penguin biscuits I’d brought him. We all started drifting away, I settled on the couches with Schooly, Hellmitre, Rets, Konrad, Wu, Frag Qu33n and a few other drifters. We chatted for hours, and as people went to bed, it ended up being the Ice Cream four. By this time we were so addled we wanted to watch the sunset in the morning – when you’ve stayed up for three days straight, then YOU can call it what you damn well want.

The morning dawned or set or whatever morning does, and a few more games were played. Slowly we all went our separate ways. Our journey home, Count Zero, Dean, Mig, Shishka and myself was punctuated by terrible, terrible jokes. I think I pulled muscles in my ribs laughing so much.

Thanks so much to Mig and his family for putting me up and carting me around New York – I had a wonderful time doing that and I couldn’t have asked for nicer hosts.

Thanks to Claude for hosting the whole thing.

Thanks to all the guys and girls for being so lovely and charming, even if they couldn’t understand a word I said.

And I am greatly looking forwards to the next one ;)

Message Index

Replies:

On a dark and Deadly NightJillybean 1/1/07 9:19 a.m.
     <3Ma1agate 1/1/07 11:04 a.m.
     Re: On a dark and Deadly NightRed_Breast 1/1/07 12:09 p.m.
     Re: On a dark and Deadly NightSchooly D 1/1/07 12:52 p.m.
           Re: On a dark and Deadly NightJillybean 1/1/07 2:31 p.m.
     Love Top Gear...Funkmon 1/1/07 12:55 p.m.
           Re: Love Top Gear...Mintz 1/1/07 7:27 p.m.
                 Re: Love Top Gear...Funkmon 1/1/07 7:57 p.m.
           Re: Love Top Gear...Bry 1/2/07 10:45 a.m.
                 Re: Love Top Gear...Louis Wu 1/2/07 11:02 a.m.
                       Re: Love Top Gear...Jillybean 1/2/07 1:58 p.m.
                             Re: Love Top Gear...Wraith7n 1/2/07 2:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Love Top Gear...Bry 1/2/07 5:43 p.m.
                                   OH. MY. GOD.Mintz 1/3/07 10:28 p.m.
                                         Re: OH. MY. GOD.TontoCorazo 1/17/07 10:09 p.m.
                       Ah, classicBry 1/2/07 5:27 p.m.
     Re: On a dark and Deadly NightBlackstar 1/1/07 12:55 p.m.
     Re: On a dark and Deadly NightCount Zero 1/1/07 2:45 p.m.
           Re: On a dark and Deadly NightShishka 1/1/07 5:53 p.m.
     Re: On a dark and Deadly Nightretsamolah 1/1/07 2:54 p.m.
           Re: On a dark and Deadly NightJillybean 1/1/07 2:59 p.m.
                 Re: On a dark and Deadly NightBlackstar 1/1/07 10:26 p.m.
                       Hammond > Clarkson *NM*Funkmon 1/2/07 4:41 p.m.
                             Re: Hammond > ClarksonTwitch 1/2/07 5:15 p.m.
                                   Re: Hammond > ClarksonKroll GB 1/4/07 6:10 p.m.
     Kree!Konrad 1/2/07 1:30 a.m.
           Oh yeah...Konrad 1/2/07 1:31 a.m.
                 Re: Oh yeah...Blackstar 1/2/07 6:32 a.m.
                       Re: Oh yeah...Jillybean 1/2/07 9:49 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.