Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4
Posted By: Boxer <boxer.sn@gmail.com>Date: 12/14/06 12:02 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4 (Slith)

: I don't rather like the idea of playing as a Brute in singleplayer. I
: certainly didn't like playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2, and I know I'm
: *really* not going to like playing as a Brute in Halo 3.

: At least with the Elites, I got to like them in Halo, and it wasn't really
: bad playing as the Arbiter. [Just disappointing - I wanted to play as the
: Chief, not an elite.] With the Brutes though, these guys are some of my
: least favourite characters from Halo 2. Right up there beside the Drones
: and Sniper Jackals. I would absolutely hate playing as one in
: singleplayer.

: Multiplayer is a different story entirely. Though it leads me to wondering
: how in the hell Bungie is going to balance everything. Elites and Spartans
: are very similar in their gameplay mechanics, but Brutes don't have any
: shields, and they're much beefier than a Spartan or Elite.

I have to agree with Slith on this one. I also found myself totally disappointed when it came time to play as the Arbiter. The whole idea of playing through campaign as anything but the Master Chief when Halo 3 is the last game in this story arc, it takes place on Earth, and we're apparently "Finish[ing] the fight" having the player take up the mantel of yet another new character would, in my personally opinion, seems like it would be counter productive. Especially the fact that if we are to "finish the fight" shouldn't we be playing as either the MC or Arbiter, or the MC exclusively? I mean, honestly, what do the Brutes have to finish? Humans and Elite & co. are the only two groups with anything unfinished, aside from the Covenant's goal of wiping out Humanity which I can't see Bungie actually doing, but you never know.

It does, however, seem way more plausible that Bungie would introduce the Brute into Multiplayer. And if this is the case, I believe we may have a function for the X button: Press and hold X to go berserk. Sort of like temporary boost to everything including shields, health, damage done (melee only), and speed. This would definitely at a new element to game play in both single and multiplayer. Imagine being backed into a corner by a trio of Brutes and you're low on ammo, hit X and totally go ape-shit on them and come out swinging whatever weapon you're wielding like Helen Keller at a piņata party.

And to address the statement that "Bungie knows best" I would like to say this, we're human and thusly we're fallible. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, if Bungie announced tomorrow that they decided to make the Chief into a 12 year old girl with bows in her hair and her only attack would be to blow bubbles at the enemy, I doubt any one of you would idly stand by and accept it. We as a community have a right to challenge any idea we feel would hurt the overall product. Sure, while we aren't the guys making the decisions we are the people who will shell out our hard earned coin for their latest game. I know I would buy the legendary edition if it came with pony tails and pink ribbons.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Message Index

Replies:

Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4?The More Deluded 12/14/06 10:28 a.m.
     Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Louis Wu 12/14/06 10:29 a.m.
           What I'm here for, and biscuits of course : ) *NM*The More Deluded 12/14/06 10:31 a.m.
           FRONT PAGE! ta Louis : ) *NM*The More Deluded 12/14/06 11:10 a.m.
     Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Slith 12/14/06 10:49 a.m.
           Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4The More Deluded 12/14/06 11:06 a.m.
           Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Mister Froggy 12/14/06 11:06 a.m.
                 Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Simpsons Rule 12/14/06 11:37 a.m.
           Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4CougRon 12/14/06 11:07 a.m.
           Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Boxer 12/14/06 12:02 p.m.
                 Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4The More Deluded 12/14/06 12:10 p.m.
                 Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4TommiWan 12/14/06 1:44 p.m.
                       I liked playing as the arbiter. *NM*JeBr0nie 12/14/06 1:50 p.m.
                       Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4The More Deluded 12/14/06 1:52 p.m.
                             Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4TommiWan 12/14/06 2:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4JeBr0nie 12/14/06 2:23 p.m.
                                         Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4The More Deluded 12/14/06 2:34 p.m.
                                               Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Peptuck 12/14/06 3:59 p.m.
                                   Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Endbringer 12/14/06 5:59 p.m.
                                   Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Xhan 12/14/06 10:59 p.m.
                       Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4Peptuck 12/14/06 4:02 p.m.
                             Re: Playable Brutes update, mentioned by Bungie b4The More Deluded 12/14/06 4:11 p.m.
     Frankie says Brutes not playable.Urk 12/14/06 1:51 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.