glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Blockades without needing the descent trick!
Posted By: rocksliderDate: 1/13/06 11:47 a.m.

In Response To: *sigh* still no Ice Horde goodness (tm) for me :( (Interactive Civilian)

: No descent means no rearranging the furniture means no blockades means no Ice
: Horde. (;_;)

: *grrr* I'm missing out!

Eureka! I've figured out a way of setting up blockades in the spiral path megabattle without ever needing to do the descent trick from the first bridge. Hopefully this will solve your problem and you'll be seeing some ice horde carnage after all!

It's so rediculously simple. After flying up the mud tunnel in your stolen Banshee, ascend to tree-top level or higher to avoid triggering enemies from the tower when going past either door. Hang around over near the Wraith to see if any Ghosts come after you, and if so, overturn them (without killing pilots, as usual). While you're waiting around, you can destroy the Wraith and overturn the Shades and the two Ghosts near the Wraith, before any of these ever get manned; an extra benefit of this method (potentially boosting your eventual enemy count).

Fly through the pass into the spiral path area. No enemies are triggered, because no tower enemies have been triggered yet. Also, earlier enemies won't chase you beyond the pass (except for piloted Ghosts apparently, which is why you overturned those beforehand). This leaves you free to land and build a blockade anywhere you like, as long as it's not too close to the pass. There's plenty of blockade material you can use. From here and the twin bridges area you have easy access to 2 Ghosts, 6 Shades, and 1 Banshee. But you can also bring in Ghosts and Shades from the previous area by blasting them along using the Banshee (being careful not to damage any enemies; not that there are many around, which is good). You can also leave some handy toys around if you want. You can nab the twin bridges Banshee and leave it near the underpass as a spare, you can position a Shade somewhere handy for cover or use, and so on.

After that, fly back out and resume set-up work as normal, triggering enemies from the central tower and attracting everyone over towards the pass, etc. Blockade fun coming up! I tried out the whole thing on Heroic and set up some 'ice horde carnage' with no trouble. Let us know if it works for you too huh? I'm sure we're all rootin' for ya!

Incidentally, even if you HAD triggered tower enemies, you could still have gone on to build a blockade, by just making sure to fly HIGH when going through the pass, to avoid triggering the Hunters and Elites. Until they've been triggered, you can't trigger later stuff. Actually that was the first way I did it; but the way I've described seems better as there are fewer enemies around to worry about. Either way, it's working on the same principal as with the descent trick; you contrive to skip a necessary checkpoint, and because of that, nothing later can get triggered yet.

I'm going to develop all this more fully to add to my site (expect some additional tips), but this should do you for now.

You can partly thank yourself for the breakthrough. In your post you said "No descent means no rearranging the furniture", causing me to really think twice about whether that was true. I don't thing you'll mind me busting your logic! The other fortunate thing was that I recently figured out some methods of getting the Warthog into the megabattle. The hog-blasting method in the new 'Bringing in the Warthog' section uses a similar trick of trigger avoidance, which is what gave me the idea.

http://freespace.virgin.net/bad.cyborg/SPM/Index.html

Message Index

Replies:

Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlerockslider 1/12/06 1:35 p.m.
     Sweet! *NM*BJB 1/12/06 1:43 p.m.
     Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattleSlimby 1/12/06 3:23 p.m.
     Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlezilla sushi 1/12/06 4:39 p.m.
           Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlerockslider 1/12/06 5:47 p.m.
     Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlePvt. Jenkins 1/12/06 5:23 p.m.
     Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlePeronthious 1/12/06 6:08 p.m.
           Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlerockslider 1/12/06 7:14 p.m.
                 Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattlePeronthious 1/12/06 7:57 p.m.
     Re: Horde boosting in the spiral path megabattleNot more enemies, just more concentrated 1/12/06 7:19 p.m.
     Not more enemies, just more concentratedrockslider 1/12/06 7:23 p.m.
     *sigh* still no Ice Horde goodness (tm) for me :(Interactive Civilian 1/13/06 12:26 a.m.
           Blockades without needing the descent trick!rockslider 1/13/06 11:47 a.m.
                 Thanks! Works perfectly!Interactive Civilian 1/15/06 2:33 a.m.
     See shit like this in Halo 2? NO! *NM*mr_mcmurder 1/13/06 1:01 a.m.
           True dat!Interactive Civilian 1/13/06 1:58 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.