Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Kubrick Master Chief Figure
Posted By: bobletDate: 2/15/05 7:40 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Kubrick Master Chief Figure (Frankie)

: Hmm, lemme double-check but the US version of H2 should actually play on your
: Japanese Xbox. Set the system language to English and the US version
: should indeed play just fine. I am prepared to be wrong on that... Also,
: the Japanese version WILL play Multiplayer voices in English if you switch
: box languages. And vice versa.

Frankie is right (but of course). I've played Japanese H2 on both Japanese and US Xboxes, and a friend has played the US H2 on a Japanese Xbox. The Japanese game only has Japanese dialog for the campaign, but will do Japanese or English subtitles for the cutscenes, and Japanese or (thank god!) English for multiplayer based on your Xbox language preferences. Xbox live is also gloriously internationalized. Fantastic!

Added to this is the (as yet untested) probability that different region Xboxes can system-link, as I've been told that the executible is identical. This isn't such a big issue now we have Xbox Live, but it really taunted me for H1 (I only had access to one xbox from each region - no 8-way LAN parties for me). I also suspect it's possible to register Xbox Live using a non-local credit card, and maybe even to use foreign Live subscription extensions.

Frankie I'd like to thank whoever it was that made this level of internationalization possible. Given the money is supposedly made on selling games I really can't understand why anyone would want to deliberately limit a game to one region. A classic example was a free Jpanese Xbox promo disk I got that doesn't work on my friend's US Xbox. Thank god Bungie is heading in the right direction - hopefully everyone will follow you! ;-)

However these things would further improve your i18n cred:
* More languages, with English as a default 2nd language on international releases
* If this isn't possible due to DVD size limits, the ability to load other languages onto the Xbox HD (eg from a Limited Edition bonus DVD) to enable multiple languages
* The ability to have subtitles for in-game dialog, at the very least for plot-relevant stuff (Gravemind's Japanese is hard-core oyaji ;-) Cutscenes are a good start though
* Print materials available as multilingual downloads - the manual is available, but not the extra Elite booklet I got in my Japanese premium edition (I can understand your reasoning, but...)
* Ability to see a player's country on XBL - I'd like an easy way to know if someone I'm playing with is in Japan too (for reasons of lag), maybe the option of displaying a country code in player tag listings?
* Ability to use non-roman playertags, and a way to see a romanized version if you can't read it

ok thanks again

peace - boblet

PS if you want larger photos of the Kubric, leave a message. mine just arrived too ;-) Kawaii!

Message Index

Replies:

Kubrick Master Chief FigureInteractive Civilian 2/13/05 7:49 p.m.
     cool *NM*Boris 2/13/05 8:27 p.m.
           E-Bay rate??? hopefully... *NM*Jammerfer 2/13/05 8:46 p.m.
     Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureJoshua Rennert 2/13/05 8:28 p.m.
           Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureNevan 2/13/05 9:08 p.m.
     Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureSlimby 2/13/05 10:00 p.m.
           Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureInteractive Civilian 2/13/05 10:30 p.m.
                 Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureKaboris 2/14/05 12:32 a.m.
     omg, those kubricks rock! gimme! *NM*replay 2/14/05 12:46 a.m.
     Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureSEspider 2/14/05 5:37 a.m.
           Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureAnatrok 2/14/05 8:11 a.m.
           Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureInteractive Civilian 2/14/05 8:40 a.m.
                 Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureFrankie 2/14/05 11:21 a.m.
                       Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureSep7imus [subnova] 2/14/05 11:30 a.m.
                             I thought Japan was Region 2... *NM*Walshicus 2/14/05 11:42 a.m.
                                   Re: I thought Japan was Region 2...Chappy 2/14/05 1:02 p.m.
                       Re: Kubrick Master Chief FigureAndrew Nagy 2/15/05 8:07 a.m.
                             only subtitles?Interactive Civilian 2/15/05 9:02 a.m.
                       Give the man a cigar nice Frankie-san!Kaboris 2/15/05 7:39 p.m.
                       Re: Kubrick Master Chief Figureboblet 2/15/05 7:40 p.m.
     coolRC Master 2/14/05 7:09 a.m.
           Re: coolCPU64 2/14/05 11:43 a.m.
                 Re: coolCPU64 2/14/05 11:44 a.m.
     How Much You Askin For Them?Mintz08 2/14/05 2:20 p.m.
           Re: How Much You Askin For Them?Gage 2/14/05 5:55 p.m.
                 Found Kubrick MC on Japanese auctionKaboris 2/15/05 7:47 p.m.
                       Re: Found Kubrick MC on Japanese auctionreplay 2/15/05 11:26 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.