Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Gameplay change.
Posted By: XianDate: 3/27/00 8:54 p.m.

In Response To: Incite movie yanked? Halo change of focus? (Johnny Rotten)

> So apparently the (awesome) incite games Halo movie has been
> pulled at the behest of Bungie due to the fact that
> "...development direction on the game has changed and [the
> movie] no longer accurately represents the game."

> I cant help but not be concerned about this. Seeing as the movie
> was nothing but generalities and clips of the engine in action
> to begin with, that would have to be some pretty drastic
> overhauling to "no longer accurately" represent the
> game.

> Summer 2001 anyone? =)

Yep. I think there's going to be a delay (or rather, I thought that from the beginning because Bungie believes in quality). I seriously doubt the Incite video is being pulled because of the engine rebuilding. Why? Because that was already very public knowledge awhile back and because the video itself doesn't show off much more than graphics, physics, & makes some slight generalities on gameplay.

I highly doubt they're dropping the physics.
They still have the same screenshots up on their website.

That means the only changes can be in the gameplay (whether comments or displayed). Not a huge surprise. We barely knew how the game was going to play (specifically) but what we did know was extraordinarily ambitious. Much like Marathon's original design, very ambitious and ahead of its time... but difficult to implement when one gets down to the nitty gritty details and technology issues. My guess is it had something to do with what I mentioned a long while back... the difficulty of balancing highly tactical/strategic squad movements & fast paced/intense action. Interface, pacing, & balance issues pop up like crazy.

Well, if I'm wrong, Matt can set me straight right away.

Another possibility is that they have either vastly improved or scaled back the graphics since then. The latter runs into the screenshot problem so if it's the former, I can only guess that they don't want to show their hand to their competitors yet? I dunno... any other outlandish theories?

Message Index

Replies:

Incite movie yanked? Halo change of focus?Johnny Rotten 3/27/00 6:04 p.m.
     Re: Incite movie yanked? Halo change of focus?Adam 3/27/00 6:33 p.m.
           any incite on this issue matt?Moose-Factory 3/27/00 6:53 p.m.
                 We'll just have to wait for E3...... (n/t)Incubash 3/27/00 7:06 p.m.
                 Matt? Pah!Troy Lawlor 3/27/00 9:06 p.m.
                       Re: Matt? Pah!Matt 3/28/00 3:02 p.m.
                             Buenos!Forensic 3/28/00 4:57 p.m.
                             Re: Matt? Pah!Nijhazer 3/28/00 5:01 p.m.
                             Re: Matt? Pah!Goss 3/28/00 5:11 p.m.
                             Re: Matt? Pah!Troy Lawlor 3/28/00 5:28 p.m.
                             Re: Matt? Pah!Maestro 3/28/00 5:49 p.m.
                                   Re: Matt? Pah!Matt 3/29/00 12:09 a.m.
                                         Homes?Super Opera Boy 3/29/00 3:25 p.m.
                                               Not his fault...Daft Shadow =PN= 3/29/00 7:20 p.m.
                                                     Re: Not his fault...SiliconDream =PN= 3/30/00 7:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Matt? Pah!Dan Rudolph 3/29/00 7:42 p.m.
                             Re: Matt? Pah!Darby 3/28/00 6:40 p.m.
                                   Hey, don't know those movies (OT)Kel 3/28/00 7:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Matt? Pah!Matt 3/29/00 12:07 a.m.
                                         Re: Matt? Pah!Forensic 3/29/00 9:01 a.m.
                             Re: Matt, spread the good wordDave Fin' 3/29/00 5:52 a.m.
                             I can hardly contain myself...Oddot 3/29/00 4:57 p.m.
                                   Re: I can hardly contain myself...[OSC]Tycho 3/29/00 5:02 p.m.
                                         Re: I can hardly contain myself...Matt 3/29/00 5:08 p.m.
                                               Re: I can hardly contain myself...Mark Levin 3/29/00 5:32 p.m.
                                                     incite ?8Delicious 3/30/00 7:37 a.m.
                                               Self Contained[OSC]Tycho 3/29/00 5:40 p.m.
                                               Booya Grandma!Xero 3/30/00 10:32 a.m.
     avoid the jinxZeroRage 3/27/00 6:34 p.m.
     Gameplay change.Xian 3/27/00 8:54 p.m.
     Re: Incite movie yanked? Halo change of focus?Dead Glory 3/28/00 3:18 a.m.
           Re: Incite movie yanked? Halo change of focus?Enigma-5 3/28/00 5:56 a.m.
                 Re: Incite movie yanked? Halo change of focus?Mark Levin 3/28/00 9:02 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.