/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a Corpse
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 5/30/02 6:24 p.m.

OK folks - today is a banner day. This is the first of 3 - count 'em - three levels in the continuing Rubicon Volunteers' series. OK, I know that this level and the 3rd aren't all that meaty but, still, this is major progress. Enjoy, and please send me your comments.

I see this as kind of a filler level, intended more to fill in a few gaps and acclimate the player to the scenario than anything else. There isn’t much story, here, and the only goal is to retrieve a key card. In the process, you learn something about improvements in weaponry since you went into stasis, although you don’t actually get your fusion rifle just yet. Of course, you already have the new magnum (2 of them, the new AR, a shotgun, the fusion rifle and the new SPNKR if you found all the secrets in the last level). You also get a chance to reacquaint yourself with some more of the Pfhor, including an old friend you haven’t seen since the original Marathon. But watch out – the hulks have been outfitted with grenades (cyborg style) and, although they aren’t guided, they’re still lethal. The bottom line is that you need to keep moving.

This is a sprawling level with a lot of exploration available to the interested player, although only a fraction need be covered in order to find the key card and leave. If you open the level in Forge, you'll find the outlines of even more of the ship sketched in, with a note from Chris that he ran out of polys. What a shame! In any case, there is no reason to go outside of the ship; however, this is the only way to access a couple of large ammo stashes. The primary need is to get to the top level, where the key card is located. Along the way are a few terminals with interesting information. For example:

I’ve been working for countless different officials within the UESC, or was it the Dangi corp?) ceaselessly ever since we pushed the front line to within striking distance of Pfhor Prime.

Hmm . . . The Dangi Corp? We’ll be hearing plenty about them later. Another terminal contains one of Durandal’s infamous soliloquies, this one on Pfhor linguistics. There’s also a hint of some wrongdoing on another terminal, which seems to indicate that secret documents were downloaded and then deleted. The most interesting terminals, however, are from our favorite malevolent AI, Tyco:

Still a pawn? I'm disappointed. You could have done so much better. Don't take me for a fool. The bugs make that mistake. I know that he is here. Why else would you be? Still a pawn.

We haven't seen each other in such a long time. You missed me, didn't you? You what? You don't remember me? I'm hurt. We had such fun together. There, there. You remember now, don't you?

After retrieving the key card that will give Durandal the biochemical credentials he needs to access the Chimera’s internal network, it’s off to Five Finger Discount.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseSteve Levinson 5/30/02 6:24 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseScott 5/30/02 9:08 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseC Lund 5/31/02 2:44 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseInverted Sock Puppet 5/31/02 4:34 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseSteve Levinson 5/31/02 9:00 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseSteve Levinson 6/28/02 10:42 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseSean 9/19/02 8:12 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseSteve Levinson 9/19/02 8:30 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseScott 9/22/02 6:11 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Like Flies on a CorpseSean 9/22/02 11:36 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.