/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Jason Jones interview
Posted By: M-ClassDate: 1/13/02 11:31 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Jason Jones interview (M-Class)

Q. So the game engine sees all the commands and it doesn't matter where they come from, since they're all the same format. However, suppose one guy has the flame thrower and he's flaming some hapless person. For the person on the receiving end of that, you know his state's going to be entirely different from the person wielding the flame thrower.

A. Each person's computer knows who is playing at the keyboard. So, that's the view that they see. If you check the right box in a network game set dialog, you can actually switch between different player's views by hitting the Delete key. That indicates that your computer always knows what is happening to everybody else. So, even if you can't see the stuff, your computer is keeping track of it. Really the only thing your computer is doing differently from everyone else's computer is the point of view. Rendering a different view of the world.

Q. So, in the game engine, part of that global information is events coming in. They could be from anywhere, say another machine. For one person's state, perhaps he's being hit by a rocket. And for another person, he's the guy that shot the rocket.

A.Each machine has to know who the guy at the keyboard is playing. So the game knows what to show. There's a checkbox in the setup game dialog which allows you to see other players on the map. If that box is checked, you can see other players on your map. You're also able to switch to their point of view by hitting the Delete key. That doesn't work in the regular game- that would be cheating. You can see the weapons they're carrying, how much health they have, everything about them. Even their motion sensor.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Jason Jones interviewAndrew Nagy 1/9/02 8:31 a.m.
     Also, while playing Marathon 2 the other day...Andrew Nagy 1/9/02 9:10 a.m.
     Re: Jason Jones interviewHamish Sinclair 1/9/02 9:17 a.m.
           Re: Jason Jones interviewwhocares 1/9/02 11:31 a.m.
           Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 2:51 p.m.
                 Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:11 p.m.
                       Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:24 p.m.
                             Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:54 p.m.
                                         Cool. Are you going to continue? *NM*Hamish Sinclair 1/9/02 9:28 p.m.
                                               HAMISH!!Khral 1/10/02 2:39 a.m.
                                                     Re: HAMISH!!Hamish Sinclair 1/10/02 3:11 a.m.
                                               yep, I got sleepy last night *NM*M-Class 1/10/02 10:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/10/02 11:17 a.m.
                                               Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/10/02 11:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 9:43 a.m.
                                                           Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 10:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 10:31 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 10:44 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 11:01 a.m.
                                                                                   Many thanks *NM*Hamish Sinclair 1/12/02 12:22 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 11:31 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 11:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 12:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Many thanks. *NM*Hamish Sinclair 1/14/02 12:14 p.m.
                 Re: Jason Jones interviewDan Aris 1/10/02 2:13 p.m.
                 I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wants!Ernie TMBM 1/11/02 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wanHamish Sinclair 1/12/02 9:05 a.m.
                             Re: I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wanErnie 1/15/02 12:39 p.m.
                             Re: I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wanErnie 1/15/02 12:40 p.m.
           Re: Jason Jones interviewVid Boi 1/10/02 2:20 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.