/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Jason Jones interview
Posted By: M-ClassDate: 1/10/02 11:34 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Jason Jones interview (M-Class)

Q. Why do you have the two subroutines anyway? Was there some compelling design reason you did it that way?

A. Absolutely. There are certain mathematical simplications you can exploit for speed. They're totally different in the case of mapping a floor and the case of mapping a wall. So, we wrote two. Instead of writing one slow general-purpose routine, we wrote two specialized ones. And, the simplications are fairly obvious. A wall always moves straight up and down on your screen and is always perpendicular to your viewing direction. When we're doing the texture mapping, we're actually stepping along the floors from left to right on the screen, and we're stepping along the walls from top to bottom.

Q. Because all the walls are perpendicular, all you have to do for the texture map is crunch the pattern down. Butbecause of perspective, with the floors and ceiling textures there's a lot more math computations involved. Is that the idea?

A. Right. The floors are actually more complicated. When we're texture mapping a wall, we can figure out what column in the texture we have the texture map, and then we know that as long as we're within the same column on the screen, we're coming from the same column of the texture. So all we have to do is worry about that single column. So that's why we do walls in column order.

Q. Quick technology term here: What do you mean by "column"? Is that an architectural element, or is it something else?

A. I just mean a column of pixels on the screen. A vertical column of pixels as opposed to a row of pixels. A row is horizontal, like a scan line, left to right on the screen. Columns are top to bottom and rows are left to right.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Jason Jones interviewAndrew Nagy 1/9/02 8:31 a.m.
     Also, while playing Marathon 2 the other day...Andrew Nagy 1/9/02 9:10 a.m.
     Re: Jason Jones interviewHamish Sinclair 1/9/02 9:17 a.m.
           Re: Jason Jones interviewwhocares 1/9/02 11:31 a.m.
           Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 2:51 p.m.
                 Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:11 p.m.
                       Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:24 p.m.
                             Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/9/02 3:54 p.m.
                                         Cool. Are you going to continue? *NM*Hamish Sinclair 1/9/02 9:28 p.m.
                                               HAMISH!!Khral 1/10/02 2:39 a.m.
                                                     Re: HAMISH!!Hamish Sinclair 1/10/02 3:11 a.m.
                                               yep, I got sleepy last night *NM*M-Class 1/10/02 10:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/10/02 11:17 a.m.
                                               Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/10/02 11:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 9:43 a.m.
                                                           Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 10:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 10:31 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 10:44 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/12/02 11:01 a.m.
                                                                                   Many thanks *NM*Hamish Sinclair 1/12/02 12:22 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 11:31 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 11:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Jason Jones interviewM-Class 1/13/02 12:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Many thanks. *NM*Hamish Sinclair 1/14/02 12:14 p.m.
                 Re: Jason Jones interviewDan Aris 1/10/02 2:13 p.m.
                 I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wants!Ernie TMBM 1/11/02 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wanHamish Sinclair 1/12/02 9:05 a.m.
                             Re: I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wanErnie 1/15/02 12:39 p.m.
                             Re: I have this Book! I will sell it if anyone wanErnie 1/15/02 12:40 p.m.
           Re: Jason Jones interviewVid Boi 1/10/02 2:20 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.