/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisited
Posted By: SiliconDream =PN=Date: 12/13/01 3:43 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisited (Andrew Nagy)

: Now the Marathon AIs weren't just copied straight from Jjaro tech, since
: Durandal is
: described as "human-coded," but it strikes me that the Jjaro may
: have contributed (or
: left behind, where it was discovered by humans) the specific chunk of code
: leading to
: Rampancy, which when encoded into one or more human AIs proved to be
: infectious.

: I didn't read your whole post yet, but didn't Durandal say on Come and Take
: Your Medicine that "their only contribution to my existence was the
: chance discovery that made me Rampant" OSLT, referring to the humans?
: I'd think that would rule out his being "human-coded."

I think we have to take that as at least somewhat exaggerated--it seems improbable that a fully functional Durandal was dug out of a Jjaro installation or somesuch and put to work opening doors on the Marathon. (Even if he was, he wouldn't remember, since his records got wiped and Leela scrambled all her historical info). More likely, Durandal considers his Rampancy to mark the start of his true existence.

"The chance discovery that made my rampancy possible" is an interesting phrase. We're told in Marathon that the first Rampancies were "discovered," not designed or engineered. So here we see that humans happened to discover something which in turn had the unforeseen side effect of causing Rampancy.

:Also consider "JJARRO WERE AT TAU CETI."

I have considered it, like many before me. ;-) It could refer to the Jjaro component in the AIs...or to the Jjaro component in the cyborg(s)...or to long-ago Jjaro outposts in the system...or God knows what. I've never seen a clincher argument for any interpretation, but I'd love to hear a new one if you've got it. :-)

--SiliconDream

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Durandal and Thoth, revisitedSiliconDream =PN= 12/12/01 10:18 p.m.
     Another justification of Google's existence:SiliconDream =PN= 12/12/01 10:27 p.m.
           Re: Another justification of Google's existence:Hamish Sinclair 12/12/01 11:18 p.m.
           Re: Another justification of Google's existence:Mark Levin 12/13/01 8:07 a.m.
                 Re: Another justification of Google's existence:SiliconDream =PN= 12/13/01 1:43 p.m.
                       Chance discovery?Darksbane 12/16/01 5:37 p.m.
                             Re: Chance discovery?SiliconDream =PN= 12/16/01 8:23 p.m.
     Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisitedAndrew Nagy 12/13/01 2:24 a.m.
           Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisitedSiliconDream =PN= 12/13/01 3:43 a.m.
                 Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisited[Tycho?] 12/13/01 10:45 a.m.
                 Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisitedAhruman 12/14/01 7:59 a.m.
                       Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisitedSiliconDream =PN= 12/14/01 5:37 p.m.
                             Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisitedAhruman 12/15/01 9:41 a.m.
                                   Re: Durandal and Thoth, revisitedSiliconDream =PN= 12/15/01 3:30 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.