/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: General musings...
Posted By: Inverted Sock PuppetDate: 11/9/01 10:25 p.m.

In Response To: Re: General musings... (Cannibal Harry (vidboi))

I just read the book 'Timeline' by Michael Crichton and it's all about Quantam mechanics. At one point in the book it tells you that it is proven that universes split off one another all the time. To prove this, scientists set up 2 vertical slits in a wall and shone a light threw them (is shone a word???). Anyway, they got a pattern of light and dark bars like this:

l l l l l l

The reason there is 6 bars of light is because the light travels through the 2 slits and acts like a wave, interfering with itself. Well we know that light isn't a wave, it's made up of photons. This light pattern can still be explained however, because there are so many photons that they interfered with themselves like a wave.
So what would happen if you let 1 photon at a time through the 2 vertical slits?

l l l l l l

You get the same pattern. The only explanation for this is that photons from other universes are interfering with the photons from our universe. This proves that there are multiple universes.
Of course the book is fiction, but in the scientific reference at the back a book is listed by David Deutsch, called 'The fabric of reality: The science of parallel universes and it's implications'. Below that it says that this book has the photon interference demonstration on which his book relies on.
So I guess this means that it is proven that there are multiple universes.

Well, I'm probably wrong seing that the book is fiction, but anyway.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

General musings...Cannibal Harry 11/9/01 8:26 a.m.
     Re: General musings...Arsonperbuilding 11/9/01 12:40 p.m.
     Re: General musings...Ben Potter 11/9/01 1:06 p.m.
           Re: General musings...Ben Potter 11/9/01 1:31 p.m.
                 Re: General musings...Cannibal Harry (vidboi) 11/9/01 7:49 p.m.
                       Re: General musings...Inverted Sock Puppet 11/9/01 10:25 p.m.
     Re: General musings...whocares 11/12/01 4:32 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.