/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Definitive Vidmastery
Posted By: Joshua JansenDate: 8/26/01 9:00 a.m.

In Response To: vidmastery (Soapstone)

: I disagree. I think vidmastery is more about style ; a demonstration of
: ass-kicking and impressiveness under difficult circumstances.

End this discussion- Vidmastery is exactly what Jason Jones made it to be: a challenge.

According to the Vidmaster site, Jason wrote this in January of 1995 on alt.games.marathon:
"I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game). Upload your replays!"

And always remember your Oath:
"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my 'run' key, and to never, ever, leave a singe Bob alive."

Being a Vidmaster is not about knowing everything or seeing everything; it's about killing everything that moves with style (that is, not making it boring: if you yawn when watching a replay of yours, you aren't a Vidmaster), never using a shield regeneration unit, and only ever playing on Total Carnage. In short, you need only get secrets when there is a Bob to murder, a switch to punch, or, possibly, a terminal to read.

We have here a 'chicken and egg' problem, and I have the solution, I think- full understanding of a map is not necessary, yet it presents itself after attempting to Vid a map several hundred times. A Vidmaster need not know a map like the inside of his eyelids, but most of them do through experience, anyway. The point is, it's not whether you *have* to know a map or not to be a Vidmaster, because a Vidmaster will anyway.

Simply put: If you have to ask, you aren't trying hard enough. Get back into the game!

The Marathon Vidmaster Challenge

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The RoseSidoh 8/24/01 7:15 a.m.
     Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/24/01 8:57 a.m.
           Re: The RoseSidoh 8/24/01 10:17 a.m.
                 Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/24/01 11:36 a.m.
                       Re: The RoseSidoh 8/24/01 12:31 p.m.
                             Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/25/01 1:18 a.m.
                                   Re: The RoseSidoh 8/25/01 7:01 a.m.
                                         Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/25/01 9:24 a.m.
                                               Re: The RoseSidoh 8/25/01 10:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/26/01 1:00 a.m.
                                                           Re: The RoseeXistenZ 8/26/01 9:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/27/01 10:28 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The RoseJohn Sumner 8/27/01 1:08 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The RoseSidoh 8/27/01 1:23 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The RoseHamish Sinclair 8/27/01 1:24 p.m.
                       vidmasterySoapstone 8/25/01 12:21 p.m.
                             Re: vidmasterySidoh 8/25/01 1:31 p.m.
                                   Re: vidmasteryJohannes Gunnar 8/25/01 1:47 p.m.
                                         Re: vidmasterySidoh 8/25/01 2:11 p.m.
                                               Re: vidmastery7revor Smith 8/25/01 2:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: vidmasteryJohannes Gunnar 8/25/01 2:38 p.m.
                                                           Re: vidmasterySidoh 8/26/01 6:09 a.m.
                                                                 Re: vidmasteryHamish Sinclair 8/26/01 9:14 a.m.
                                                                       Re: vidmasterySidoh 8/26/01 11:13 a.m.
                                   Re: vidmasterySoapstone 8/26/01 7:20 a.m.
                                         Re: vidmasteryAndrew Nagy 9/3/01 11:10 a.m.
                                               Re: vidmasterySoapstone 9/3/01 9:09 p.m.
                             Re: Definitive VidmasteryJoshua Jansen 8/26/01 9:00 a.m.
                             Re: vidmasteryTynskel 8/26/01 11:15 p.m.
                                   Re: vidmastery7revor Smith 8/27/01 8:18 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.