/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slime
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/6/02 5:13 p.m.

In Response To: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slime (Inverted Sock Puppet)

As Inverted Sock Puppet has already covered the level quite well, I’ll only add a few points and some terminal text. Have you noticed how much sleeker and more devious the Pfhor drones are than they were in Marathon 2/I? Well, Durandal has an explanation:

The Pfhor learned early on in the war that Pfhor fighters with weak energy melee weapons stood little chance against a well greased assault rifle. Since then, they've placed an increased focus on small, agile attack drones.

Well, that explains that, but what about those annoying PCM's that first appeared in the secret area of Honk, and that are very numerous here? Doesn’t Durandal consider these guys a threat? Well, in any case, the main point on this level is to read three terminals that will give Durandal the info he needs to find the good admiral. Actually, only one of them is relevant, but you still need to visit all three. What’s far more important is reading Tycho’s terminal:

What if humanity would be better off as a client race of the Pfhor? What if the only thing that could save your beloved kin is seeing life from the other end of the barrel? . . . Ending this war will only make room for humanity to choke on it's own domineering greed.

Well, Tycho, you have the problem right, but your solution stinks! I still feel that it is curious that Durandal responds to everything that you read except Tycho’s messages. There are two schools of thought to this. Either Tycho is somehow blocking his messages from reaching Durandal, or Durandal is choosing to ignore them. Many apparently believe it is the former, but I tend to think it is the latter. Even if Tycho were to block whatever connection it is that you have with Durandal while you read his messages, Durandal would surely be on to this. He might not know what you had read, but he’d know that something had transpired that he was not privy to. And he’d almost certainly suspect Tycho. Now it’s possible that Tycho might have way of communicating with you that bypasses your cybernetic implants, but it would still be difficult to fool Durandal’s planet-sized brain. The only possibility I could see would be if Tycho were to substitute a meaningless Pfhor message for what you were actually reading, but he’d have to somehow mask even your physiologic reaction to the contents of the message, which wouldn’t match what Durandal thought you had read. My guess is that Durandal is well aware of Tycho’s communications, but he doesn’t want you to know that. The more I reread these screens, the more I am convinced that Durandal’s interests have nothing to do with saving humanity.

Regarding the Sea of Slime, get used to it – you’re going to do a lot more swimming in the stuff, and worse. There is a lot of ammo here, so be sure to look around. Don’t miss the mortar ammo located under the watch tower. Also, there are a lot of secrets here, as documented in my Rubicon Secrets Guide. The biggest secret of all, of course, is the secret terminal that leads to the level Cow Pushing. This terminal is brought to you courtesy of Secret Term, Inc. How nice of them to have made a visit to Pfhor Prime. While the secret terminals and levels in Marathon Infinity, with the exception of the vidmaster levels, were closely tied to the story, the secret levels in Rubicon, as with those in other third party scenarios, are much less so. But I'll have more to say about that in my review of Cow Pushing.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 12:30 a.m.
     Not bad for a first try ;-)Steve Levinson 6/1/02 2:08 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/1/02 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 5:55 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeC Lund 6/1/02 6:21 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 6:35 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeC Lund 6/2/02 2:46 a.m.
                             And Hamish would have a Ph.D. *NM*Steve Levinson 6/2/02 6:51 a.m.
                                   Wouldn't it be a PiD? :) *NM*Callie21V 6/5/02 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeVid Boi 6/5/02 7:42 a.m.
                                   its ok, just as long as its not a Cliff note:) *NM*Tru7h 6/5/02 2:26 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/6/02 5:13 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/29/02 7:18 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:29 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSean 9/19/02 8:48 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.