/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slime
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/1/02 11:47 a.m.

In Response To: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slime (Inverted Sock Puppet)

I'm taking a break, and thought I'd comment on some of Sock's analysis. Again, I'll have much more to say later. Oh, and I apologize for suggesting that Molten Dihydrogen Oxide (water) is the next level - that's what happens when you go from memory ;-)

: Yes this level is on what I guess you could call a tropical planet. The
: landscape is pretty much rocky, with waist high pits of green slime
: and then there's The Swamp™ (for lack of a better name).

I believe we're still on Pfhor Prime. The idea that it's a tropical planet is a probably a misnomer. It amazes me that a lot of sci-fi is based on the concept of single-climate planets, but this is absurd. Look at Earth - we have everything for the tropics to the ice caps, from the oceans to the deserts. One thing that I think that the Rubicon Team missed is that Pfhor Prime should be a low-gravity planet (at least lower gravity than Earth). Remember in Marathon 1 where Durandal mentions that the Pfhor ship has a lower gravity environment than the Marathon - one that's ideally suited to the Pfhor. It only stands to reason that Pfhor Prime would also have a lower gravity, since they likely evolved in this environment. This would mean a combination of lower density or smaller size. Alternatively, one could hypothesize that the Pfhor did some genetic manipulation of their entire species to make them more suitable for space travel, but I doubt it.

: This level starts next to a pool of slime with some flying green
: things over it. These are small green orbs that fly towards you and
: then blow up; great fun. Here's what happend the first two times I
: played this level: 1) Ran into a flying mine. Deliberatly.
: 2) Ran away from flying mines into a hunter, got shot by hunter,
: ran backwards into flying mine.

No, no, no! You don't need to kill the PCMs by running into them, and you don't need to take on the hunters until you need to. I found that the best approach is to run along the swamp's edge to a position of safety and then pick off the PCMs with your magnum. Just beware - the PCMs tend to stay a bit low, so you need to aim down slightly. BTW, the PCMs first appear in the secret area of Honk.

: Anyway, a bit off topic there. If you go across the map there's another
: pool of slime and a bunch of hunters that teleport in. Run a bit
: further into the slime and another bunch of hunters teleport in
: (lesson one: Don't run further into slime). There's a 2x power up,
: a shotgun and some shells in a little bunch of trees off to the side.
: It is possible to run inbetween all the little shrub things but it's tricky
: and there's about 10 or so hunters baying for your blood. There's a
: special type of vegetation (looks like a bunch of red stick in the
: ground) that can be blasted apart with the pistol (only the pistol,
: nothing else works). So grab the stuff and get out of there. Time
: for The Swamp™.

A word to the wise - the second swamp area is much better left for later. Sure, it's possible to take on all the monsters now, to grab the shotgun and ammo and even to get inside with some difficulty. The other way, through the first swamp and a large cave, is much, much easier. Still, you have to deal with a lot of monsters either way. This is not a particularly good level on which to learn how to play on TC (that was for you, Sock). The monsters in the second swamp will take each other out once you get inside where you can tease them by peaking out the long gantry.

: I (being totally ignorant in all things forge related) have no idea how
: the Rubicon team managed to do this but it looks hard. Basically
: there's red tendrils of vegetation coming down everywhere; this stuff
: is EXTREMLY dense just at the beginning of The Swamp™. This
: makes it very hard to see the looker, then the hunter, some wasps,
: some more hunters and some fighters. Oh yeah there's some of
: the flying mines here too.

My only experience with Forge is in looking at other people's levels. There are a couple of techniques for creating this type of effect. In one, exemplified very nicely in Pfh'Joueur with its exploding pant pots, is to create an immoble monster that can be killed. The other approach is to make an impassible object that can be destroyed (similar to the ceiling lights in Marathon 2 and Infinity).

: When you enter the complex the only enemies you should find
: are troopers and fighters (usually in bunches of two or three)
: so this is the easiest part of the level.

Easy is a relative term ;-) . I consider this area - particularly the gantry - a relative safe haven. You can take out the enemies in the swamp areas with a lot of practice, but as you pointed out, more and more appear. Because there is access to only one power-up, chances are poor that you'll survive, especially on TC. Once inside, you have access to a save term and a shield recharger but, be forewarned, they look very different than what you're used to and are easily missed.

: I don't have DTB so I don't have any of the exact
: quotes but I'm sure Steve can dig them out for everyone :)

I'll do that later. BTW, you can download DTB here: Durandal Terminal Browser

: Tycho talks to you on another terminal and again I find myself
: agreeing, or at least sympathising with him. He also appears
: to have some extra information about corporate greed that he
:eluds to. I wonder what he's talking about?

It's understandable that Tycho has knowledge of what Dangi's doing, but I'm surprised that Durandal doesn't seem to pick up on it at all in the Pfhor Plank, in spite of multiple clues. Perhaps he's preoccupied with his obsession with Tycho, or perhaps he really doesn't care what humanity does to itself. I think it's a little of both.

: Durandal talks to you again, confirming what was in the Pfhor
: terminal that Admiral Carroway has been moved. A mining facility?
: Sounds interseting. Durandal says that it sounds like something
: Tycho would have planned but he doesn't seem to know that
: Tycho has been in contact with you; several times now.

Oh, I disagree. Durandal seems to know everything that you read, so if he seems ignorant of your interactions with Tycho, it's because he either want's you to think he is unaware of it, he considers anything from Tycho to be disinformation, or he considers it unimportant.

: There's a secret terminal that you need to find to finish the level (so
: it's not really too secet) that can put you through to secret level
: called Cow Pushing.

Once again, you can leave from a number of terminals once you have satisfied the goals of the level, so you don't have to find the secret terminal. There are a lot of secret areas on this level, so be sure to check out my Rubicon Secrets Guide. One other thing that is relevant - one of the secrets you can see is a large stash of ammo. Here's a big hint - there are no dummy switches in Rubicon. If you flip a switch and nothing happens, and if you can find no changes in the level, try flipping it twice in succession.

When I return, I'll tackle Cow Pushing, unless someone else want's to give it a try ;-)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 12:30 a.m.
     Not bad for a first try ;-)Steve Levinson 6/1/02 2:08 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/1/02 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 5:55 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeC Lund 6/1/02 6:21 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 6:35 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeC Lund 6/2/02 2:46 a.m.
                             And Hamish would have a Ph.D. *NM*Steve Levinson 6/2/02 6:51 a.m.
                                   Wouldn't it be a PiD? :) *NM*Callie21V 6/5/02 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeVid Boi 6/5/02 7:42 a.m.
                                   its ok, just as long as its not a Cliff note:) *NM*Tru7h 6/5/02 2:26 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/6/02 5:13 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/29/02 7:18 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:29 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSean 9/19/02 8:48 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.