/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7h
Posted By: Friend of a FriendDate: 5/23/01 5:16 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7h (•Mimer)

: Well, it depends on WHAT pattern is stored, the common knowledge is the
: players/cyborg's brainpattern.
: But what if with jjaro and whatnot strange technolygy the pattern of
: Space/Time itself is stored?
: Woohaa, what an incredible scary device it suddenly becomes. :)

: And it makes a sorta sence, the player is surrected, the enviroment is
: resurrected, and who knows with all the M3 timeshifting another strange
: course in an ever twisting time-line the playercyborg stumbles to his
: mysterious ends.

I think the time travel thjeory of pattern buffers represents an impossible attempt to explain the simple "save game feature" in a computer game. I know we marathon fans must always try to assume a coherent story line, but i fear we may be streching on this one.

Think of the consequences if the pattern buffer stores the pattern of SpaceTime.

It would have to store the exact position, momentum, energy, angle of momentum, of every subatomic particle in the universe, because cause and effect is a system with sensitive dependence on initial conditions. Even the slightest variation in the position of one electron could quickly expand into a vastly different timeline. Considering the fact that storing all this information would be a daunting task, even for a piece of Jjaro machinery, i don't think it would be plausible to think that the UEG could have constructed such a system, even with the aid of Jjaro technology.

As much as i hate to admit it, i think this is one idiosyncrasy in the Marathon universe which we are going to have to dismiss. Even if Bungie had prevented monster resurrection in an attempt to make the story more coherent, that would have been to easy for the player. Think of how much easier it would have been just to incorporate a standard save game feature.

At least Bungie tried to explain the save game feature, which few other games have bothered to do.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

BattleroidsJonah 5/22/01 6:13 p.m.
     Re: Battleroids7revor Smith 5/22/01 6:45 p.m.
           Re: BattleroidsJoyeuse 5/23/01 12:23 p.m.
     Pattern Buffers... the tru7hDoctordude 5/22/01 7:29 p.m.
           Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hAnaphiel 5/22/01 7:43 p.m.
                 Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7h•Mimer 5/23/01 3:15 a.m.
                       Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hFriend of a Friend 5/23/01 5:16 a.m.
                             Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7h•Mimer 5/23/01 6:53 a.m.
                             Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hMark Levin 5/23/01 6:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hFriend of a Friend 5/23/01 7:22 a.m.
                                         Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hThomas 5/23/01 8:00 a.m.
                 Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hThomas 5/23/01 7:43 a.m.
                       Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7hThomas 5/23/01 8:07 a.m.
                             Original points:Jonah 5/23/01 10:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Original points:Jonah 5/23/01 10:09 a.m.
                                   Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Thomas 5/23/01 5:47 p.m.
                                         Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Jonah 5/23/01 6:20 p.m.
                                               What gives the Mjolnir his power?Anaphiel 5/23/01 6:47 p.m.
                                               Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Thomas 5/23/01 8:45 p.m.
                                         Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Anaphiel 5/23/01 6:32 p.m.
                                               Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Thomas 5/23/01 9:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Thoth Wannabe 5/24/01 8:42 a.m.
                                                           Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Smeeisqualityfootrot 5/24/01 2:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?7revor Smith 5/24/01 4:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Does the marine know he is a cyborg?Forrest of B.org 5/26/01 11:21 a.m.
                                         my ideasfallout 5/23/01 6:33 p.m.
           Re: Pattern Buffers... the tru7h[Tycho?] 5/23/01 11:04 a.m.
     more pb drivel...Yossarian 5/23/01 8:28 p.m.
           Re: more pb drivel...Some guy 5/24/01 4:53 p.m.
                 Re: more pb drivel...7revor Smith 5/24/01 5:44 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.