/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Exception To The Rule (Continued)
Posted By: REBDate: 7/12/03 11:15 a.m.

In Response To: Fan Fiction: Exception To The Rule (REB)

(Continued from previous post)

Midas never though the machine's determination to eradicate humankind was so big; he ordered Sirius to reactivate the power and Loop to take off as fast as he can. All the sentinels turned to face the Marathon the moment they felt energy coming from the old ship and launched their bombs.

"Everybody, hold on tight," said Loop with his only eye set on the group of bombs heading against them.

He pushed forward the controls and the ship hovered just in time to let the bombs pass under it. Loop knew he only got a few seconds before the bombs hit the sewer wall, but he waited until the last second, sweating, breathing deeply, trusting his instincts, so the Marathon's back trusters could generate as much power as they could to propel the ship at the biggest speed possible.

"Just another second... Just another," he said in his mind.

With his eye still closed, Loop pushed back the controls and the ship rocketed away. Behind it, the bomb's explosion illuminated the dark underworld and menaced to swallow the human ship. Everybody panicked, including Midas, but Loop trusted himself and kept his hands firmly on the controls, and the fireball was left behind. If he wouldn't have waited those seconds, the ship would have been roasted for sure.

Loop opened his eye and saw they were heading straight to the sentinels. They were going to fast to evade them on time, so he accelerated. Midas was still cashing his breath when he saw what Loop proposed to do. He wanted to scream, but he couldn't; he wanted to close his eyes, but instead he opened them wide.

The sentinels were caught off guard. They couldn't belive what was about to happen. That old ship wasn't going to ram them, right?

Right?!

A horrible screech was heard and the sentinels found themselves flying all over the place like bowling pins while the Marathon passes right through them, leaving behind a trail of scrap metal from it's own hull. They regrouped, but the ship was far away by then.

Midas kissed Loop on the forehead and told him: "You don't know how glad I am you're a nut case."

Loop laughed and they all forgot briefly that the worst wasn't over. They still needed to return to Zion, now with a damaged ship.

The sentinels doubled their effort to hunt down the Marathon. Their triumph of the humans was the humiliation for them and they couldn't allow it to become permanent. For the next couple of days, the humans couldn't sleep well, eat without fear or even breath hard, not to mention they couldn't talk at all or produce a strong sound. All they heard was the detonation of the sentinel's bombs, destroying any possible escape route back to Zion. Sirius and Recoil ignored Midas orders of keeping the power off while the ship was not in the air and attempted to repair the left turret. The result: Recoil was killed when the sentinels found them and the electromagnetic pulse - their last hope - was damaged. Ironically, the only man capable of repairing it was Recoil.

After that incident, Midas knew they were running out of luck and decided to send someone into the Matrix to ask for help - even though that meant coming out to the surface. He made another wise decision sending Magik instead of Sirius. Sirius was far more experienced that the nervous girl, but he was going to need a good gunner to face the sentinels. All Midas could hope for was that Magik would accomplish her mission before the sentinels detected them.

Who could have imagined that the Matrix would go crazy that very same day? Magik not only arrived at the wrong place, they lost her signal completely. On top of that, they received a message telling them the machines were drilling a hole to get into Zion. When they finally were able to trace her, Magik was talking about an old potential she had found, but it didn't matter anymore. All ships were heading back to Zion; there was no one left to help them.

That's when things got even more complicated: the old potential picked up the exit call instead of Magik and he got trapped inside her body. But the worst thing of all was that they had to leave Magik behind to die in hands of an agent because the sentinels were approaching.

"I could have avoided all this mess," Midas though. "I should have ordered retreat when we got no response from the outpost, but all I cared about was the delivery of the fucking cargo. Now Magik and Recoil are dead, and the rest of the crew, including the old potential, will die too - and the only one who deserves it is me."

The old potential entered the cockpit and sat next to Midas. Midas noticed how strangely happy this man looked; perhaps he has gone crazy. This made Midas even sadder.

"This is my punishment, I deserve it," he though. "Please God, if you're listening to me, don't let anyone else die. Take me instead."

(This story will continue tomorrow)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Fan Fiction: Exception To The RuleREB 7/11/03 6:24 p.m.
     Exception To The Rule (Continued)REB 7/12/03 11:15 a.m.
           Exception To The Rule (Conclusion)REB 7/13/03 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: Exception To The Rule (Conclusion)ukimalefu 7/20/03 7:04 p.m.
                       Re: Exception To The Rule (Conclusion)REB 7/21/03 1:58 a.m.
                             Re: Exception To The Rule (Conclusion)ukimalefu 7/22/03 5:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Exception To The Rule (Conclusion)REB 7/23/03 2:14 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.