/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, Revisited
Posted By: Beer CanDate: 2/6/02 1:09 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, Revisited (Max Etchemendy)

I agree with the spirit of your post, Max, but there's a decidedly different set of lights coming from homage, thievery, and things derivative.

STAR WARS is one of the ultimate "derivative" stories. It's virtually the canon of all film and literature...in on big Lucas/ILM package.

But George has *always* publicly acknowledged his "source material," and has repeatedly cited his many influences.

Artists paying "homage" to one another is also a fascinating and somewhat hilarious institution...one that's accepted with mutual admiration.

Lifting ideas and repackaging them as your own...well, that's an entirely different deal.

I'm what you might call "immersed" in the creative community, and have been for many, many years. I understand what it is to use another guy's idea(s)...but if I do so, it's made clear that I'm paying respects to a person I admire, or know.

An excellent example of "homage": Ridley Scott's BLACK HAWK DOWN copter shots off the coast of Morocco...which emulate, purposely, APOCALYPSE NOW.

Understanding, objectively, how things artistic get filtered, resurfaced, and "siphoned" over time, and knowing that some things are simply coincidence, I still must say that the examples of Bungie using other people's stuff is just too rampant to be "homage" or "coincidence." Especially given the timelines.

The other side of that is this: These guys likely didn't/don't know any better. I mean, they're basically computer guys. In many ways, they're about the same as the aforementioned Dungeon Master, writing private adventures for his buddies based upon whatever he himself finds "cool."

Regardless, it kind of angers me that they've reaped great success on the repackaging of previously existing work. The least they could have done is given a "nod" to their source material.

Note that I still enjoy the games and their stories.

:: Beer Can ::

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/4/02 12:44 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/4/02 1:29 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/4/02 5:26 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/5/02 1:01 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedAJS 2/4/02 11:31 p.m.
     Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedMax Etchemendy 2/5/02 9:13 p.m.
           Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/6/02 1:09 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedMax Etchemendy 2/6/02 3:44 p.m.
                       My apologies...SiliconDream =PN= 2/6/02 5:37 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/6/02 9:40 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/6/02 5:35 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/7/02 12:13 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/7/02 1:04 a.m.
                                   Rabid? Ha!poenadare 2/7/02 2:44 a.m.
                                         Impossiblemnemesis 2/7/02 12:47 p.m.
                                               Re: ImpossibleM-Class 2/7/02 7:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: ImpossibleMark Levin 2/8/02 4:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Impossiblemnemesis 2/9/02 10:05 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.