/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, Revisited
Posted By: Beer CanDate: 2/4/02 5:26 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, Revisited (SiliconDream =PN=)

Interesting points.

Glad to see I wasn’t alone in this...

I also just remembered something else from that screenplay...a sequence where a floating armoured drone, armed with machine gun, laser, and grenade launcher, becomes a problem for the main character.

The drone was seemingly identical in size, shape, and behaviour to the drones in Marathon 1, right down to the malfunction.

As for Smith and Lovecraft...saying the Spider Queen and Skrael were "borrowed" is something of a stretch, because those concepts are fairly generic...except when you take into account the rest of the Unholy Trinity borrowings. In that light, then yeah, it’s pretty viable.

(I'm right now reading Smith's "Poseidonis," and have finished an interesting tale about a relic from the age of the lizard guys...)

This whole Bungie cobbling/borrowing thing reminds me of the role-playing world, where DM's create their own stuff, splicing heavily from existing fiction.

That stuff is cool, and it's private.

It's kind of cool commercially, too, , unless there's no credit given to the original source. Like an "Inspired by" tagline.

I have a real problem with that.

Just as it disturbed the hell out of me to when I discovered the Arduin Grimoire's most famous creation, the Doom Guard, was simply plucked from BARBARELLA.

Turns out ol' Dave Hargrave had a lot of other guys' stuff "on loan" for his many tomes of RPG lore.

Yeah, the Doom Guard is very, very cool, but it's lifted..."borrowed."

Stolen.

How ironic when it was used in "Diablo" (right?) that credit was given to Hargrave's "original" concept...

Hahhahhah!

:: Beer Can ::

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/4/02 12:44 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/4/02 1:29 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/4/02 5:26 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/5/02 1:01 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedAJS 2/4/02 11:31 p.m.
     Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedMax Etchemendy 2/5/02 9:13 p.m.
           Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/6/02 1:09 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedMax Etchemendy 2/6/02 3:44 p.m.
                       My apologies...SiliconDream =PN= 2/6/02 5:37 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/6/02 9:40 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/6/02 5:35 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedBeer Can 2/7/02 12:13 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie Rip-Offs, RevisitedSiliconDream =PN= 2/7/02 1:04 a.m.
                                   Rabid? Ha!poenadare 2/7/02 2:44 a.m.
                                         Impossiblemnemesis 2/7/02 12:47 p.m.
                                               Re: ImpossibleM-Class 2/7/02 7:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: ImpossibleMark Levin 2/8/02 4:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Impossiblemnemesis 2/9/02 10:05 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.