/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?
Posted By: SiliconDream =PN=Date: 2/3/02 10:56 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner? (darky)

: Hmm, I presume it was nuclear powered (or was it?) so fuel should not be a
: problem. They don't need a crew, that's why they had the AI. I suppose
: they wouldn't need Durandal if they were all sleeping (no one to open
: doors for), perhaps Leela and Tycho could be mended. Why not? They've gone
: through all the troube of setting up a colony.

Nuclear power ain't infinite. :-) The more energy you want to store, the more fissible/fusible material you need to keep on board. And extra mass is always a no-no on space voyages. Besides, we know that the Marathon's actual power system is LSSMSIMEG-based (Large Shallow Streams Of Molten Something Inexplicably Make Everything Go).

As for not needing a crew: Durandal controlled all the autonomous functions, including life support. Leela was able to temporarilly take over life support in most areas, but during flight I'm sure she has other things to do (and maintaining life support for people in stasis near absolute zero is doubtless a more serious task than doing it for conscious, active folks). Tycho, for his part, was badly rampant, and no one ever "cured" a Rampant AI.

: Good point. But maybe Leela lost touch with her conscience in the attack...

She seemed entirely sane and dedicated to humanity at the end of Marathon. I wonder if she'd permit everyone to return to Earth even if they lined up demanded it...

: So the question is: could the Phor trace the Marathon? Probably. I
suppose
: their actions depended on how they estimated the strength of the Phor - I
: would have thought Leela would have sussed out the futility of
: "digging in."

Leela knew the Pfhor ran an interstellar empire. Probably she hoped that the scoutship didn't have a chance to contact its fellows; or that Durandal's hijacking of it would turn Pfhor attention to him instead of to the remaining humans; or that if the Pfhor tried attacking again, it would be another hand-to-hand battle while they attempted to take slaves.

I mean, it was hopeless from any angle...might as well make yourself feel good by standing and fighting. And the colony did much better than the Marathon during the initial attack, so it probably seemed like a viable defensive option.

--SiliconDream

--SiliconDream

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/2/02 3:27 p.m.
     Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/2/02 3:46 p.m.
           Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/2/02 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?Rincewind MoG 2/2/02 8:39 p.m.
                 Possible Halo ConnectionAlfred Mordeir 2/2/02 9:15 p.m.
                       Re: No Halo ConnectionREB 2/2/02 10:49 p.m.
                             Re: No Halo Connection•M 2/3/02 3:48 a.m.
                                   Re: No Halo ConnectionREB 2/3/02 11:58 a.m.
                                         Re: trouble with annihilating a moon•M 2/3/02 11:06 p.m.
                                               Re: trouble with annihilating a moonREB 2/4/02 9:59 p.m.
                       Re: Possible Halo ConnectionRincewind MoG 2/3/02 10:41 a.m.
                 Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/3/02 10:56 p.m.
                       Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/4/02 5:59 a.m.
                             Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/4/02 12:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?[Tycho?] 2/4/02 1:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/4/02 3:24 p.m.
                                               Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?elmer 2/5/02 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/5/02 7:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?Tru7h 2/4/02 3:26 p.m.
           Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?D-M.A. 2/3/02 7:19 a.m.
                 Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/3/02 9:37 a.m.
                       Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?Tru7h 2/3/02 5:26 p.m.
                             Yupekul 2/5/02 6:23 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.