/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?
Posted By: SiliconDream =PN=Date: 2/2/02 3:46 p.m.

In Response To: Why didn't the colonists do a runner? (darky)

: Durandal called the Phor, nicked their ship, and vanished into the night,
: right? Seven (I assume it was 7) years later the Phor posse returned and
: swiftly annihilated the Tau Ceti colony...

IIt was only 3 months, actually.

: I'm surprised the humans didn't forsee this and bundle themselves back to
: Mars in cold storage: the Marathon was still operational, no? True, the
: Phor would most probably have followed them to Sol, much to the
: displeasure of the UESC, but I don't think heroic sacrifice like Durandal
: intended would have crossed their mind.

: So why did they hang around to get killed? Perhaps this question is answered
: in the games, but I've only played Infity and my knowledge is patchy at
: best. Thoughts?

1) They may not have been able to. Even if the Marathon had originally carried sufficient fuel and supplies for a two-way trip, it took considerable damage during the Pfhor attack, and a good part of the crew was lost.

2) They probably didn't want to risk endangering Sol. The Marathon was a government project, after all, and most of the colonists were 1st-generation...I'm sure they still felt loyalty to the home system. Even if they weren't feeling particularly heroic, Leela was still there to act as their conscience.

3) What would be the point? A return trip would take 300 years, and it's not like a moon-sized ramscoop ship is particularly unobstrusive. If the Pfhor were going to retaliate, they could easily reach the Marathon as it chugged along through interstellar space. Better to dig in on Tau Ceti and have both the planet and the Marathon as defensible territory.

I don't think an explicit reason is ever given in the game, though.

--SiliconDream

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/2/02 3:27 p.m.
     Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/2/02 3:46 p.m.
           Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/2/02 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?Rincewind MoG 2/2/02 8:39 p.m.
                 Possible Halo ConnectionAlfred Mordeir 2/2/02 9:15 p.m.
                       Re: No Halo ConnectionREB 2/2/02 10:49 p.m.
                             Re: No Halo Connection•M 2/3/02 3:48 a.m.
                                   Re: No Halo ConnectionREB 2/3/02 11:58 a.m.
                                         Re: trouble with annihilating a moon•M 2/3/02 11:06 p.m.
                                               Re: trouble with annihilating a moonREB 2/4/02 9:59 p.m.
                       Re: Possible Halo ConnectionRincewind MoG 2/3/02 10:41 a.m.
                 Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/3/02 10:56 p.m.
                       Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/4/02 5:59 a.m.
                             Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/4/02 12:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?[Tycho?] 2/4/02 1:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/4/02 3:24 p.m.
                                               Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?elmer 2/5/02 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?SiliconDream =PN= 2/5/02 7:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?Tru7h 2/4/02 3:26 p.m.
           Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?D-M.A. 2/3/02 7:19 a.m.
                 Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?darky 2/3/02 9:37 a.m.
                       Re: Why didn't the colonists do a runner?Tru7h 2/3/02 5:26 p.m.
                             Yupekul 2/5/02 6:23 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.